[Working PoC] ds4wiibt - Connection between Dualshock4 and Wii through Bluetooth

I've spent a few days trying to get a connection between the Wii and a Dualshock 4. In order to get it working, I had to do some "reverse engineering" to the libogc's Bluetooth stack and I finally found what was happening: the Bluetooth protocol authentication part of the libogc's bluetooth stack was missing. I've already submitted a patch to the official libogc repository.

Well, after getting the "authentication" working, I started implementing the specific DS4 bluetooth protocol (thanks to here and here).

The Dualshock4 need to be paired through USB before establishing a Bluetooth connection, so I've crafted a program called ds4pair_wii that makes this, it pairs the DS4 to the Wii's Bluetooth address. ds4pair_wii also writes to the SD a file called ds4wiibt_config, which has a list of each MAC of all the paired DS4 controllers.

After pairing, the connection can be established, once you press the PS button, the Dualshock 4 will try to connect to its paired MAC. Before this, the Wii has to be listening (aka waiting) for the DS4 controller to be turned on. After this, connections is established.

Steps:

1. Run ds4pair_wii with the DS4 connected over USB, it'll create a config file to the SD
  2. Run ds4wiibt (it'll load the config file), turn on the DS4 (press PS button)

Compiled apps: https://www.mediafire.com/?1ld710qi1whk55i
ds4wiibt source code: https://github.com/xerpi/ds4wiibt
ds4pair_wii source code : https://github.com/xerpi/ds4pair_wii

Enjoy!

• Upvote 12

Nice work man.

Really thanks for that.

Wonder if you have worked or if there is already something similar for xbox 360 controller to be used on PS3.

Hugs

Great stuff, I've always wondered why the Bluetooth section of the PS3's firmware hasn't been touched yet. Would be great to be able to use any bluetooth headset for game audio output instead of being restricted to Sony's official headphones for one thing. But that's another discussion all together... nicely done and thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

Ferrarius Verbero Aestus Ferratilis

Nice work man.

Really thanks for that.

Wonder if you have worked or if there is already something similar for xbox 360 controller to be used on PS3.

Hugs

Software wouldn't work for xbox to ps3 as it's a different connection. Xbox is RF, not bluetooth, there is hardware out there that will allow you to do that though.

• Upvote 2

Software wouldn't work for xbox to ps3 as it's a different connection. Xbox is RF, not bluetooth, there is hardware out there that will allow you to do that though.

... Or you can use a wired 360 controller :) Of course, thats not very fun though.

OR! You can do this: http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/01/how-to-make-a-ps360-controller/

I would do that if I had a 360 controller. :)

• Upvote 1

872daeaf9d5ccbb7d98bb4fef4246f6e9da5ddcf

Hallo,does this work on only one DS4 Controller,or can we connect four of this Controllers to the Wii?and after that Patch can i use my Wii Remote normaly without the DS4,or have i after use this patch something to do that my Wii Remote is working again?And can i use One DS4 Controller and Player two a Wii Remote.And can two Players use DS4 and the athoer two a Wii Remote Controller,is this posible?And the DS4 is this than a Wii Classic Controller,a Wii Remote or a Wii Remote and a Nunchuk,can we change this from one to another(for snes as a Classic Controller and for Wii as a Wii Remote+Nunchuk?And thanks for sharing this great Patch!

Edited by tekkin

Hallo,does this work on only one DS4 Controller,or can we connect four of this Controllers to the Wii?and after that Patch can i use my Wii Remote normaly without the DS4,or have i after use this patch something to do that my Wii Remote is working again?And can i use One DS4 Controller and Player two a Wii Remote.And can two Players use DS4 and the athoer two a Wii Remote Controller,is this posible?And the DS4 is this than a Wii Classic Controller,a Wii Remote or a Wii Remote and a Nunchuk,can we change this from one to another(for snes as a Classic Controller and for Wii as a Wii Remote+Nunchuk?And thanks for sharing this great Patch!

This is just a programming library (for now), so this will only work with homebrews that use this library. I could patch the libogc to make use of it, and then an app recompilation would be enough to get DS4 fully working (on the app).

• Upvote 3

The DualShock 4 is my favorite controller and I would love to use this with Project M. If you could find some way to get it working with that game, that would be amazing. I hate the Wii and GCN analog sticks. >_>

• 2 months later...

Alright, so now that I've finished my pre-Christmas exams, I've continued this project. Now it's a library, so it should be easier to integrate with homebrews. I've also done the same with the dualshock3 controller:

https://github.com/xerpi/libds3wiibt

https://github.com/xerpi/libds4wiibt

(the controller disconnection part is still a bit buggy)

Edited by xerpi
  • Upvote 4
  • 4 years later...

Hey does this work only with the old DualShock 4 Version or the new one as well? I mean the PS4 Slim/Pro version that is not the 2013 one?

• 1 year later...

I do not fully understand the steps, can you possibly make a video are something to help me understand