sleirsgoevy

BD-J -- sound.bdmv does not play

I currently seem to be unable to play anything from the sound.bdmv file. Both HSound and MediaPlayer don't throw any exceptions, but there's no sound out of the speakers.
The sound.bdmv file I'm using has been generated using soundgen from HD Cookbook, however the file from Ukku's Journey doesn't play either. I use bd://SOUND:00 as a URL.

Here's the code I use to load from sound.bdmv in Ukko's Journey. So that should work for you too.

Note though, that VLC and Kodi doesn't handle this yet. So you can't hear anything if testing with one of those.

private javax.media.Player load(String number) {
    try {
      org.bluray.net.BDLocator bdl = new org.bluray.net.BDLocator("bd://SOUND:" + number);
      org.davic.media.MediaLocator ml = new org.davic.media.MediaLocator(bdl);
      return javax.media.Manager.createPlayer(ml);
    } catch (Exception e) {
      return null;
    }
  }

Well, I copy-pasted this code into my Xlet, but there is still no sound. Maybe there is some obscure option I need to set in some config file?

EDIT: It now works with the sound.bdmv from Ukko's journey, however it doesn't with my own sound.bdmv. Probably my sound file is broken.

Edited by sleirsgoevy

How did you create your sound.bdmv file?

I used a tool from the HD Cook Book to do it. Basically it just takes a bunch of wav files as parameters to generate the file.

Maybe you created a sound.bdmv that is too big? Or doesn't contain 48Khz wavs?

From the Markmail site:

sound.bdmv must be 2MB or less, but you can load sounds directly as well. (There is a 5.0 MB limit to the sound portion of the shared image/sound buffer on < profile 2 players, or 6.5 MB on profile 2.. This is on top of sound.bdmv).

sound.bdmv can contain 128 entries. In the locator, the sound ID should be represented as a two digit hex number.

The sound files you are interested in are part of the Interactive Audio
specification and the only file formats supported are LPCM which are
"Uncompressed Wave" 48Khz 16bit mono or stereo files.

Edited by mr_lou

I finally found out what's wrong with my sound.bdmv. I also used the soungen tool, however I've modified that to eliminate the dependency on external codecs. It turned out that I was calculating the number of frames incorrectly, and the player thought it has only 4 samples.