sleirsgoevy

Cibyl -- compile C to Java

I've prepared a small project that demonstrates the use of the Cibyl MIPS-to-Java compiler to run C code in the BD-J environment. This compiler may be useful for porting existing C games into Java. However the transpiled code is a bit slower than native Java code, so this is more for porting existing software, which is going to be troublesome as BD-J has only several megabytes of RAM, and new games should (probably) be developed directly in Java.

Anyway, I've uploaded the example of using cibyl to GitHub.

It's not mine of course, I just crafted a simple usage example that works, since some aspects are not trivial to figure out. Please note that on blu-play.com.

Also you've set an incorrect date on the news. It's year 2020 now.

Edited by sleirsgoevy

A few other things I noticed while making that demo:

• Floating-point arithmetic in Cibyl is dog slow, as each operation involves 3 nested Java method calls. The same demo using doubles only gave 1-2 FPS. (Maybe it'll be a bit better if I use float instead of double).
  • The transpiler doesn't handle GCC optimization levels larger than -O1 correctly. It does compile and run without crashing, but results in a black screen.

It seems that I've found a bug in Cibyl (or in Cibyl's GCC, didn't check that yet) resulting in the code behaving incorrectly. The test case is as follows:

int main()
{
    volatile int a = 46;
    volatile int b = -2147483637;
    assert(!(a < b));
    return 0;

}

As the transpiler seems to be unmaintained, I will probably have dig into that myself.

EDIT: I figured out the cause of the problem. The transpiler effectively replaced a<b here with a-b<0, and that is true due to integer overflow.

EDIT 2: FIXED. Github fork with the fix is here, and the modified xcibyl-translator can be downloaded here.

Edited by sleirsgoevy