sleirsgoevy

BD-J on PS4 -- a hack to use more than 6 MB of memory

I've discovered that DVBBufferedImage s are not subject to the normal memory limit of approx. 6MB. I've written a demo Xlet that writes 96MB of data into DVBBufferedImage s and then reads it back, and it seems to yield the same values.

The Xlet code has been posted on GitHub here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice find!

It is not a hack though.

BD-J specification states that players have minimum 11.9 megapixels of memory (for non-networked players).

And 16.1 megapixels for networked players (BD-Live players).

This does not mean some players can't have more though.

Likewise, BD-J specification states that a JAR should be max 4 mb in size. But again, this doesn't mean some players doesn't accept bigger jars.

Those are merely minimal requirements for manufacturers to follow.

Your findings is a great example though, showing that the PS4 console (and probably PS3 too) have much greater potential than your average blu-ray player. It would seem that the BD-J Xlet use the same memory as everything else on the console. If so, the sky is the limit, which is awesome of course.

It would be interesting to see how many images you can create. What happens if you try with 100? 200? 🙂

It's actually stated in the repo. The program crashes without throwing a catchable Exception if i create a 33rd image. However it may be possible to create images of much bigger sizes, or even store everything in a huge 10000x10000 image, I didn't try that.

Edited by sleirsgoevy
  • Upvote 1

Ok, so the PS4 gives about 32 megapixels to the Xlet - twice as much as the specs dictate.

It would be interesting to see what normal players will do. It could be that 32 megapixels is an unwritten standard nowadays. Keep in mind the original BD-J specs are nearly 20 years old now.