sleirsgoevy

BD-J DevKit -- how do I burn a physical disc?

I'm new to this forum. I'm interested in developing homebrew games for BD-J, mainly porting older games whose source code has been published. I've managed to get the examples in the so-called DevKit (see https://blu-play.org/developers/tools-and-links) to compile and run in VLC, however if I burn that to a disc, my PS4 doesn't recognize that as a valid disc, at all. Is this devkit broken, or is it valid only for PS3 homebrew development? If it's okay, what's the right way to write the resulting AVCHD directory to a disc?

Well, burning prebuilt ISOs does work for me, what doesn't is burning my own Xlets. Of course, I am burning to BD-RE, not to a DVD.

UPD: I've managed to compile the HD Cookbook disc image (without signatures). It does get recognized by the PS4 but results in a black screen.

I gotta admit I've never used the minimal SDK's myself. But I see that the disc image they include is an AVCHD folder. This is definitely part of the reason why the burned disc isn't working.

This goes back to when the PS3 firmware would run BD-J Xlets on an AVCHD folder structure on a USB stick.

When burning to a real disc, it can't be AVCHD. But luckily it's fairly easy to turn an AVCHD folder into a Blu-ray folder:

The root of the disc must contain the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders. Not the AVCHD folder.

And then rename two files:

INDEX.BDM should be renamed to index.bdmv

MOVIEOBJ.BDM should be renamed to MovieObject.bdmv

And that should be it really. Just put the 00000.jar file into the JAR folder.

Remember to burn with UDF 2.5 filesystem.

Thank you, @mr_lou. I can now see a "Hello World!" message on the screen of my PS4. Will now try different stuff to see what are the actual limitations of the platform.

EDIT: Maybe this info is worth adding to the "Tools'n'links" page on blu-play.com

Edited by sleirsgoevy

59 minutes ago, sleirsgoevy said:

Thank you, @mr_lou. I can now see a "Hello World!" message on the screen of my PS4. Will now try different stuff to see what are the actual limitations of the platform.

EDIT: Maybe this info is worth adding to the "Tools'n'links" page on blu-play.com

Good to hear!

Yea, the blu-play.com site still needs a lot of info. It's a work in progress, among my many other sparetime projects.

The (lack of) work on the site reflects the amount of interest I'm seeing.

Since you're apparently looking into it, I may add some more info in the near future. 🙂

Btw, I will recommend you to buy one of those re-writable discs. You can use those forever. It's great for BD-J dev.

So I can display stuff on the screen and start playlists, however the Xlet only receives events for 6 of 11 buttons (directional buttons, "Enter", and "Menu"). The other buttons either operate directly on the video being played, or just don't work if I don't start a video.

I'm posting it here, not in a new thread, just because I don't want to fill the whole forum with my questions.

EDIT: I've created a new thread. No need to post an answer here.

Edited by sleirsgoevy

Actually, it would be better to create a new thread. 🙂

Will make it easier for other devs to find answers later. Lots of different questions (and answers) will be good and helpful to this forums users.

Please create a new thread. Meanwhile I'll put together an answer for you.