zecoxao

let's make some nice bluray java homebrew :)

Here's a video. Don't mind the dog or the girlfriend :P

Awesome.

Why is there a problem with the sound, is there a hack or something that could enable it.

And is running the Homebrew on the PS4 different or much the same as the PS3 ?

Still don't have my PS4 back from my sister, so cant test anything >.<

Dunno about the sound, and I don't much remember what this was like on PS3...

http://www.skfu.xxx/2014/09/ps4-state-of-things-part-iii-io.html

Not sure how we missed this, but SKFU has made a PS4 BDJ SDK based of Freeplays work.

greg, why do you think i created this thread in the first place? :P

Something else I forgot to mention that you might have noticed in the video: emulators run REALLY FAST on this. Like, around 400% speed. I don't know why.

Something else I forgot to mention that you might have noticed in the video: emulators run REALLY FAST on this. Like, around 400% speed. I don't know why.

maybe we could put more nice emulators there xD.

i like the sound of seeing an emulator running at a decent speed xD

Edited by zecoxao

Why hellooooooooooooooo.

I'm investigating this now as well :)

Hey FreePlay,

Glad to see your still around.

Thx for the tip on starting the games.

Best of luck on the investigating. :)

From what I read BD-J performance depends on the cpu speed and RAM so in theory the PS4 is probably the most powerfull stand alone BD-J player.

I´m hoping to see at least a SNES or Genesis/Megadrive emulator. If those still run fast, well who knows what emulators would work.

Thumbs up to @SKFU for being one step ahead and already tweaking the SDK for the ps4. Hope some devs make good use of it.

Edited by aries2k

I´ve been searching around to see if I could find any info about sound in BD-J.

The bad news is that dynamic, complex sound for an emulator probably isn´t going to happen. I guess the reason for this is that technically your in video mode so this sound was just more for special effects. more appropiate for card, dice games and stuff like that.

you can only use 2 mb + another 5mb for sound.

you need a sound.bdmv file in the AUXDATA folder

here´s a good thread talking about it on the official Java forums

https://www.java.net/node/675161

the good news is that background music is possible

I found this great BD-J 3D demo that has music(m2ts files in the STREAM folder) and the developer included the the source code :applause:

Demoscene Effects with BD-J | Java.net

unfortunately the video crashes at some point on the ps4 :thumbsdown:  although that doesn´t happen on my Samsung BD player. it´s supposed to run fine on the ps3.

It takes a while to load up but I was impressed with the 3D performance and there´s button input. I´m not sure if that´s what messes the video up on the ps4?

If anyone has the ps4 BD-J sdk setup maybe see if it compiles to resolve the problem?

Edited by aries2k

hi, someone can share the nes iso please ?

thanks, is that what we see in the video ? i mean ps4 bd j nes by Manuel Oliveira.

well, you have to compile it and add it to the bluray disc. and it's the same homebrew, only on a different environment (SKFU's bdj toolchain)

ok but i don't have the knowledge for compiling, so can u please do it if u have time ?

hi, someone can share the nes iso please ?

Here you go. This is the one you see in the video.

http://rghost.net/58716639

You have to open up the ISO with WinISO or something similar to add your roms, then just save in ISO format and burn with your HD recording software.

Question..... Does this mean we can make homebrew as long as its java based without keys.. Like ftpserver etc or does signed keys still the MAIN factor behind it all? Maybe a peek and poke java homebrew to fish these keys out perhaps? Lol IDK just giving ideas on what we can and can't do is all =)

Edited by BANFREEDJ

Here you go. This is the one you see in the video.

http://rghost.net/58716639

You have to open up the ISO with WinISO or something similar to add your roms, then just save in ISO format and burn with your HD recording software.

thank you, is it created by you or Manuel Oliveira ?

Question..... Does this mean we can make homebrew as long as its java based without keys.. Like ftpserver etc or does signed keys still the MAIN factor behind it all? Maybe a peek and poke java homebrew to fish these keys out perhaps? Lol IDK just giving ideas on what we can and can't do is all =)

Sure, you can make java homebrew without ps4 keys but your limited to it´s sandboxxed environment...unless there´s something that could be exploited.

I´m still very curious about the network capabilties and the hdd access through BDlive that are available for official BluRay movies. it is interesting that movies can access the encrypted hdd, even if it in a very limited way.

but I´m no hacker/programmer so.....

If anyone wants to take a look at some BDlive files just let me know. I have a few different movies with BDlive.

thank you, is it created by you or Manuel Oliveira ?

Hi, I believe the creator of the emulator is masri01. a former member at PS3News.

I´m Manuel. I just posted those videos on youtube because of this thread.

Sorry I didn´t respond to you over there.

after I posted the videos I kind of forgot about them and I don´t use youtube to much anymore

Edited by aries2k

Sure, you can make java homebrew without ps4 keys but your limited to it´s sandboxxed environment...unless there´s something that could be exploited.

I´m still very curious about the network capabilties and the hdd access through BDlive that are available for official BluRay movies. it is interesting that movies can access the encrypted hdd, even if it in a very limited way.

but I´m no hacker/programmer so.....

If anyone wants to take a look at some BDlive files just let me know. I have a few different movies with BDlive.

Hi, I believe the creator of the emulator is masri01. a former member at PS3News.

I´m Manuel. I just posted those videos on youtube because of this thread.

Sorry I didn´t respond to you over there.

after I posted the videos I kind of forgot about them and I don´t use youtube to much anymore

The question is how limited are we talking about?

I am no Hacker/Programmer myself, But have been following exploits since PS2, socom 2... Im pretty much a modder altering code, patches etc. Almost like connecting what makes sense.

Back in those days we used ps1 eboots to run homebrew which was called RKswapper or Code magic, which was a Hexidecimal homebrew with different hooks other than gameshark, codebreaker and AR max to bypass socom 2 online checkups of course those got patched way later when combined assault came out, which then came cheaterslounge's exploit with it's new hook. And then blackb0x for ps3.

I was trying to connect BD-J into this ps1 eboot method, of course it's old, But what makes a ps4 game disc run or boot up? other than signed key check ups? Is there a java eboot we can use here to create homebrews exceeding those limits? im not saying create Hexidecimal Homebrew. Im saying anything helpful to get the actual thing jailbroken or use homebrew through a eboot method.

Edit: Again I'M just giving ideas in anything i can relate to disc based homebrew, I have no idea if this works. And it would have to be setup differently for the same result of course.

(What i could find about the homebrews today)

RKswapper Tutorials:

http://consolehax.blogspot.com/2007/06/rk-swapper-code9-files-and-booting.html

CodeMagic Tutorials:

http://consolehax.blogspot.com/2007/06/code-majic-files-and-tutorial-for-slim.html

Edited by BANFREEDJ

Hello all!

Can anyone share the "minimal PS4 BD-J SDK"? The official link is down and I can't find it.

Thank you! And sorry for my poor English.

hi, you can download nearly every ps4 file which is released on my site.

I tried this iso but I can't controle any game. it's like a video, not a game.

hi, you can download nearly every ps4 file which is released on my site.

Thank you for your answer :)

But I can't find it in your website. In the download section I always get this:

Fehler 404 - Seite nicht gefunden

Entschuldigung, ich kann die Seite nicht finden.

Wenn Sie dem Link von einer anderen Seite gefolgt sind, ist es möglich, dass die Seite nicht mehr existiert oder umbenannt wurde. Nutzen Sie die Suche, um den gewünschten Inhalt zu finden:

I don't understand german but google translator helps. I tried to sign up because of I'd need it, but I couldn't, the email with the activation code never arrived.

Could anyone send me a link with the "minimal PS4 BD-J SDK"?

Thank you!!

you only can download stuff on my site if you have an activated account !

I don't know why you don't get the activation code, but I will send it here to you.

On 27/10/2015 22:01:37, eXtreme said:

The iso works well on my ps3, ps4 and PowerDVD in Windows. In PS4 is accelerated like someone said. I think is a CPU setting that must be changed in the source code, but I don't know a lot of things about these stuffs. You have to open the virtual control panel "1" is select and "2" is start. If you don't press start some games don't start. But you'll see that "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - Dragon Strike" is playable. With the "Red" button you can go to the roms list and with the "Green" button you can change the aspect ratio screen; I don't know what do the other two ha ha.

I was able to run the "HelloWorld" sample inside the minimal SDK (Thanks SKFU) and this is what I found (I can't attach images):

Screenshot

4IaA5UQ.jpg

May be you can't hack the PS4 but I think you can do a lot of interesting hombrews.

Edited by incognita

I get the same screen like you now but if I change the text in the MyXlet.java file it only show me a black screen, also if I change only letters.

and I burnt the nes iso and tested it again...same thing like before, I can't controle any game, I can only chose those 5 nes games in root.

so what can we do with this ? the title says "let's make some nice bluray java homebrew" but I can't see any real homebrew. so what says the devs ?

Hello all.

Just signed up here, and thought I'd introduce myself (in this thread because BD-J dev is the main reason I signed up, and I don't actually own any Playstations).

Been working on a BD-J project for 5 years now. Info at www.8bitmemoirs.com

Got the HDCookBook for my birthday, and have studied BD-J a lot. Very little info online about it indeed. Some japaneese sites are rather good, but requires Google Translate. :-)

Is anyone here still interested in BD-J?

I think I can answer a few questions from this thread (although it's old), so here goes:

On 21/9/2014 at 6:59 PM, Lucif3r said:

Would make more sense if the PS4 supported such a thing from a USB stick or similar... Wasting a blueray disc for a java app? No ty... o.o

Yea, Sony blocked the possibility of booting a Blu-ray Disc from USB, as we all know. But I believe it's still possible to run BD-J stuff from a USB - if you boot from a disc.

So yea, you will still need to burn a disc - but you can settle for having this one disc for booting, and then run whatever Xlets you have on your USB.

I admit I haven't tried this myself yet (because I'm using a Dune HD Smart D1 for testing which lets me run my stuff from harddisk), but from what I've read in HDCookBook it should be possible, because:

Xlets can start other Xlets

The disc filesystem gets merged with the USB filesystem (for BD-Live).

So, you could (theoretically) "waste" this one boot disc, and then just use USB sticks for various homebrew.

But yes, using a re-writable disc is also an option. It'll have a looong life due to the very small size of JAR files.

And of course, while developing, you can use a software player like PowerDVD from Cyberlink.

(Other software media-players are also getting BD-J support these days, like VLC and Kodi).

On 25/9/2014 at 2:12 AM, FreePlay said:

There's no audio. But I think we already knew that.

I don't think this is because you can't have audio with BD-J. I think it's more a question of the developers didn't bother to port the audio-system to a BD-J compatible one.

From what I've read, the whole Java Media Framework (JMF) should be available in BD-J. I admit I don't have any experience with JMF myself, but a quick look at the docs tells me that it supports playback of Linear PCM WAV, which as far as know, is a RAW format.

The dynamic audio generators usually uses raw format (I think), so it should "just" be a matter of finding a way to feed dynamically generated audio into JMF.

Not claiming this is possible. Just saying I think it can be done, somehow.

I'm a musician, and a coder, but I have never experimented with dynamic audio generation yet.

But this whole dynamic audio generation is only interesting for emulators.

When we're talking homebrew games, you can always add audio in the form of video-playback. This is what I'm doing in my own project. Plenty of audio there.

On 25/9/2014 at 3:55 PM, FreePlay said:

Without having tried the NES emulator, my guess is that it was created for PS3 with a "dumb" timing setting, which is the easiest way of doing it. The PS4 obviously having a faster CPU will result in a faster execution.

I suppose you could say that the emulator should just have been coded slightly differently.

On 30/10/2015 at 5:11 PM, incognita said:

May be you can't hack the PS4 but I think you can do a lot of interesting hombrews.

Absolutely I think so too.

My project "8-bit Memoirs" has been a very interesting one so far. Learning a lot of what's possible.

I admit I'm not as much focused on the PS3 as such, but rather Blu-ray Players in genereal (which is why my project has been tested on A LOT of different players).

If you only target PS3, you'll have it easy. Because getting stuff to run on all players requires a lot of patience and work. Blu-ray Players are just as different and buggy as JavaME enabled cellphones.

Edited by mr_lou
Additional info