ConsoleHax

[Tutorial] Running the 4.05 Kernel Exploit by SpecterDev and permapatching the browser [Online method]

BEWARE: A console with firmware 4.05 installed is required. If you're not yet on OFW 4.05 you can manually update your console via USB. If a higher firmware is installed it is IMPOSSIBLE to downgrade.

If you'll be following my guide, the first time running the exploit succesfully will take a lot of time. I have chosen for an online method instead of a local one. If you should prefer local, it is possible to host the files yourself by using Xampp or MiniWeb. In this tutorial however I wil be using the same files hosted on ConsoleHax.com.

Remember that running the exploit without a patched browser will take a lot of your time. Mainly because you have to use a work around with a limited version of the browser. This does not change if you choose to host the files local (There are other ways involving DNS, but I won't explain them). 

The image used in this guide are meant for dutch visitors of my site, but the hyperlinks used should be located at the same location. English is not my main language, so there could be some typo's.

IMPORTANT BEFORE STARTING: WRITE DOWN THE IP OF THE PS4 BEFORE CONTINUING. You'll need it later on.

STEP 1:  On your PS4 navigate to 'Settings' - 'User Manual'. This opens a browserpage where you need to click on: 'Support'

browserpermapatch01-1.png

STEP 2: Navigate to the bottom of the page and click 'Sony Website'

browserpermapatch02.png

STEP 3: Click on a YouTube movie (in case the YouTube site doesn't open, click on the YouTube logo).

browserpermapatch03.png

STEP 4: Search for 'Google Link' using the search field.

browserpermapatch04.png

STEP 5: Click on the movie 'Google link (Link in description!) and click on the hyperlink.

browserpermapatch05.png

STEP 6: Search for 'ConsoleHax.com' on Google's website and open it.

browserpermapatch06.png

STEP 7: Hover above the menu item 'PlayStation Hacks' and wait for the dropdown menu to show. From there click 'Specter 4.05'.

browserpermapatch07.png

STEP 8: If the exploit is successful, you'll see a screen with a message about the memory. Click OK on that screen and continue by selecting YES. If the following screen shows you 'Exploit Succesful' and 'Waiting for payload!!!' you're good. Don't close this windows, because now we are going to inject a payload.

IF YOU SEE A BLANK PAGE OR ONE WITH THREE DOTS YOU'LL NEED TO FULLY CLOSE THE BROWSER (MANUAL) AND START AGAIN AT STEP 1. It could take up to 8-10 tries on average.

browserpermapatch08.jpg

Patching the PS4 browser permanently.

Needed files:

• Browser Patch Payload: https://mega.nz/#!TtpRlL5B!LtFez4NhSIPt5cAIzo68X893ADNzdN_zvSamb-0ePXQ
  • NETCAT GUI: https://github.com/shinnok/netcatgui

We are going to be using a Graphical user interface for NetCat to sent the payload.

1. Open the NETCATGUI.exe and fill in the IP of the console. Change the port from 9023 to 9020.
  2. Click on the three dots beneath 9020 and navigate to the location where you stored enableWebBrowser405.bin. Select the file and press OK.
  3.  Click on ‘Inject Payload’

Done. You should now be able to open the full PS4 browser without limitations from the XMB interface (also after rebooting the console). Plus the exploit will run a lot more stable using the full browser.

Edited by ConsoleHax

nice tuto! i'll probably make a tutorial how to redirect the manual directly to the exploit, chances of succes are alot higher then, saves alot of time!