GregoryRasputin

The Ultimate PS3 Hacking F.A.Q For 2017 - #PS3Xploit

You may be wondering why i am creating a guide in 2017 for the PS3, it's an eleven year old console, who cares about it, the answer is plenty of people.

vFRPOUf.png

In the PS3 scene there always has been a problem and that has been downgrading, as it has always involved opening your console and installing some sort of hardware downgrader, if you had been reading the forum yesterday, you would have noticed this thread by @BobbyBlunt , which means no more hardware downgrading, thanks to the awesome Team PS3Xploit from PSX-Place you can do it via software now, which is the very reason i am creating this thread, below is a modified and updated version of a FAQ i did on the shitty website i used to run.

(Q) Why Would I Hack/Jailbreak My PS3 ?
(A) Hacking your PS3, gives you so many new option’s, you will be able to use emulators, homebrew apps and game backups as well as being able to use Linux, after Sony removed the function in firmware 3.21.

(Q) Which PS3 Consoles Can Be Hacked
(A) Here is a list of hackable PS3's, thanks to @3absiso

vP1HUwD.jpg

(Q) Which PS3 Consoles cannot be Jailbroken
(A) 3K and 4K consoles(Some Slim and all Super Slim) - Basically any PS3 released after June 2011.

(Q) What Firmwares cannot be hacked yet ?
(A) Back in 2013 when i wrote this i stated that any firmware from 3.56 on wards is not hackable, that is and isn't the case now, you cannot directly install a CFW on a PS3 if it is on any firmware between 3.56 and 4.81, though thanks to @Thibobo one can now install Rebug 4.81 CFW on a PS3 with 4.82 OFW already installed, but more of that later.

(Q) My console is not on firmware 3.55, do i need to downgrade.

(A) Yes, you will need to update to firmware 4.82, then use Team PS3Xploits exploit, which utilises the PS3's web browser and lets you downgrade, then install a CFW, developers like @Joonie suggest hosting the files yourself, but you can use this website that is being shared by at least one of the team members of PS3Xploit:

BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS, MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON OFFICIAL PS3 FIRMWARE 4.82

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WHILST YOU ARE ON CFW/MFW, YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PS3.

USE ONLY ON PS3's THAT CAN ALREADY BE DOWNGRADED, DO NOT USE ON NON HACKABLES AS YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PS3.

If you wan't to self host, you will need to grab the files from PSX-Place, this is the official source and is the safest place to get all your PS3Xploit related downloads, visit the link below to grab the files:

(Q) I am running my own server, is there a guide to help me?

(A) By far, this is probably the best guide out there:

(Q.) Can i brick my PS3 installing a 4.xx CFW ?
(A.) Yes, as with all OFW’s or CFW’s you have a chance of bricking, with CFW’s your chances of bricking become a lot higher, when you don't read.

(Q.) Can i brick my PS3 by downgrading ?
A.) Of course you can, but most bricks occur due to user error.

(Q.) Who is to blame for any bricks ?
(A.) You as the user are, most bricks are down to user error, take your time to read, take your time to understand, take all the time possible and have some patience, it will pay off and be rewarding in the end and remember try to stick to well known, honest and trusted websites to grab your downloads.

(Q) Now i have CFW installed where do i grab my homebrew games and applications?

(A) There are a few repositories for PS3 Homebrew:

These three sites have been around forever and have always had what ever you want.

(Q) Which Homebrew should i install?

(A) There is a ton of awesome homebrew, here are a list of some of the most important:

Backup Managers:

or 

or

FTP:

Filemanager:

Music/Movie Media Center:

Emulators:

Security:

(Q) Is there anything else i can do?

(A) There are small things you can do such as install a ColdBoot, this is the boot up logo that you see with the PS3 logo when the PS3 starts, there are tons of pre made ones, i have even made my own, you can also change the background wave in the XBM as well as installing a custom game boot.

(Q) So i am interested in ColdBoot's, any more information?

(A) Loads of information, below i will provide a small guide and some links to download some awesome ColdBoots:

Installation:

You can install a ColdBoot manually by using Comgenies Awesome File Manager, you will need to replace the file coldboot.raf in this location:

dev_flash\vsh\resource\

If you find that too difficult or risky, you can use Team Rebugs ColdBoot Installer

Download:

PSX-Place

PlayStationHaX

There is also an ISO that will let you install some ColdBoot's

(Q) Can i create my own ColdBoot?

(A) Of course you can, grab this application, created by @TizzyT:
EasyStaticRafConverter

(Q) Is there a PlayStationHaX ColdBoot?

(A) There will be as soon as @StarMelter makes one :P

We now have a ColdBoot thanks to @Thibobo, more will be added, i also plan to do ColdBoots for all the good scene sites out there :)

(Q) Can i get live help instead of using the forum?

(A) Yes you can and Discord seems to be the most popular live chat at the moment:

PSX-Place Discord

PlayStation Homebrew Discord

PlayStationHaX Discord

(Q) Where can i get more help?

(A) If you can't get help here or the Discord channels, then you can always get help at these places:

PSX-Place

PS3 Homebrew Reddit

More will be added as needed, a huge thanks to bguerville, esc0rtd3w, W and habib, the members of PS3Xploit.

• Like 5

things are heating up again for Ps3,,, tell getting patched

• Like 1

Very nice & detailed FAQ! 

• Like 1