Need help downgrading 4.65.

CptKlink

Question

Hello all i have here a cechk01 model PS3 thats on OFW 4.65 and having a few issues.

I have made 4 dumps and all are exactly the same. 

with one problem i'm getting conflicting results from each different validation tool.

With Nor Inspector they show everything in ok and the same with each of the 4 dumps.

With E3 Dump checker the same each dumps is validated with no errors.

With PS3 Dump Checker/PS3 Flash Tool 4.60 everything is ok except for Checks for ROS0 and ROS1 Hash are bad again each dump is exactly the same just with two bad checks.

With PS3 Nor and Nand Auto Patcher v4.65 i get no type of errors it just says byte reversed NOR dump then applying patch 1 then 2 then patched successfully.

With BWE NOR validator it says it can't find latest version but seems to make the patched/swapped NOR image with no problems

With PS3 NOR/NAND Statistic/sinsizer dumpstatistic it saows the ROS0 and ROS1 version with no problems as 465.000 and creates a error log showing this ( OFFSET: 0xF008A8 --- VALUE: 0x08 --- 0x00 BLANK AREA --- No brick risk! Continue )

now i'm just wondering is the programs showing its a bad dump because it a bad dump or cuz there not made for OFW version 4.65 and the dumps are actully fine?

19 answers to this question

• Developer

Hello all i have here a cechk01 model PS3 thats on OFW 4.65 and having a few issues.

I have made 4 dumps and all are exactly the same. 

with one problem i'm getting conflicting results from each different validation tool.

With Nor Inspector they show everything in ok and the same with each of the 4 dumps.

With E3 Dump checker the same each dumps is validated with no errors.

With PS3 Dump Checker/PS3 Flash Tool 4.60 everything is ok except for Checks for ROS0 and ROS1 Hash are bad again each dump is exactly the same just with two bad checks.

With PS3 Nor and Nand Auto Patcher v4.65 i get no type of errors it just says byte reversed NOR dump then applying patch 1 then 2 then patched successfully.

With BWE NOR validator it says it can't find latest version but seems to make the patched/swapped NOR image with no problems

With PS3 NOR/NAND Statistic/sinsizer dumpstatistic it saows the ROS0 and ROS1 version with no problems as 465.000 and creates a error log showing this ( OFFSET: 0xF008A8 --- VALUE: 0x08 --- 0x00 BLANK AREA --- No brick risk! Continue )

now i'm just wondering is the programs showing its a bad dump because it a bad dump or cuz there not made for OFW version 4.65 and the dumps are actully fine?

1. Do not use E3 Dump checker

2. The reason why you have checks on ROS0/1 is because those tools that you are using are not updated to validate hashes of OFW 4.65

3. If everything else is OK then I think you will not brick your PS3.

4. Patch your dump with older version of nand/nor flash patcher.

5. I'm pretty sure your patched dump will have all the green checks.

from the info you provided i think the dump is valid, if you are not sure you can PM it to me to check it for you

Long Live Palestine

from the info you provided i think the dump is valid, if you are not sure you can PM it to me to check it for you

That would be awesome if you can check them for me

I have all 4 of my dumps put in to a rar file and uploading them to mediafire right now I will PM you the link

Just not sure if i can move ahead with the downgrade or not and don't really want to try since this isen't my ps3

A suggestion instead of sitting and rolling your thumbs, keep taking backups and compare them in HxD. If you end up with like 10 consecutive identical dumps the chance of the dump being bad is very very small, almost non-existent I'd say.

872daeaf9d5ccbb7d98bb4fef4246f6e9da5ddcf

• Founding Member

@Lucif3r : that is the worst advice ever. If 1 pin of the clip does not make contact then you can dump a million times, get the same ones, all being bad and resulting in permabricking a console.

In this case the logs show the problem is inside ROS, version specific, because the checkers are flawed by design and using hashes for checking CoreOS instead of decrypting it dynamicly. Prepatch the ROS and pull that prepatched file through all those checkers and none of them bitch anymore proves exactly that is the case.

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Validating_flash_dumps

• Upvote 1

·~øØ PSdevwiki.com - Your number 1 source, Share and expand, knowledge Øø~·

If a pin is bad theres no way you will get identical dumps every time ...

Well i have run them through a hex editor and everything looks exactly the same and useing the statistics feature both then beggining and end % was within the valid dump range.

• Founding Member

If a pin is bad theres no way you will get identical dumps every time

You only get different dumps if the pin position/contact fluctuates.

/basic mechanics/electronics 101

See also the http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/E3_Nor_dump_checker page where they heavily relied on such a flawed presumption of dumping x times and checking very little of its content. The application failed to catch the bad pinning (permanent high, permanent low, swapped or missing).

Well i have run them through a hex editor and everything looks exactly the same and useing the statistics feature both then beggining and end % was within the valid dump range.
Great' date=' then at least 2 of the thousand checks of the wiki page pass (the prepatching is also mentioned on that page from my previous post), but norpatch is updated to latest regulary and thus doesn't have that versioning problem.
  • Upvote 1

·~øØ PSdevwiki.com - Your number 1 source, Share and expand, knowledge Øø~·

looks the same ???

HxD - ctrl+K = compare option for dump 1 & 2

then compare 1+3 & then 1 with 4

LOOK don't come into it - use compare function and KNOW if they are IDENTICAL - similar looking is not good enough in case you pick the odd slightly corrupt dump

get a load of dumps IDENTICAL and then proceed to verify one them

looks the same ???

HxD - ctrl+K = compare option for dump 1 & 2

then compare 1+3 & then 1 with 4

LOOK don't come into it - use compare function and KNOW if they are IDENTICAL - similar looking is not good enough in case you pick the odd slightly corrupt dump

get a load of dumps IDENTICAL and then proceed to verify one them

Yes I actually just did that and there all IDENTICAL.

• Developer

If a pin is bad theres no way you will get identical dumps every time ...

I used to recommend checking dumps with HXD to see if those multiple dumps are identical.. and actually that was the method I used to use before Bwe started making dump validation tool. But one day I realized I was able to get multiple identical wrong dumps because of that clip not seated correctly.. 

But I had my luck on PS3 so I did not brick because I also checked the dump with validation tool..

There is a report of valid dump making some weird perma-brick which I doubt.

It was only reported in my native country known as Korea.

But I think the issue was not the nor dump but either his CPU or RSX got fried while he was getting the dump, sometimes people make mistakes like

Forget to plug the fan plug,, or heatsink was not tighten like that..

I think the best way to dump the dump would be using self-powered flasher that can dump the nor dump while PS3 is completely turned off.

mlYHpyq.jpg

give me an hour or so nd i will check it for you

Long Live Palestine

We all use different methods or routines - me I got 3 clips for the 3 different nor ps3's

so - tempting fate here - they seem to work but one day one will probably give up ghost

I use HxD x 3 dumps = identical AND NorInspector - plus the patcher check to

(unless using 4.55 - i just dump into patcher.exe or habib 4.60 patcher which checks $hit)

BUT these are mainly my ps3's that I may sell once downgraded - not customers

so it is MY RISK for checking 101% thoroughly through BwE x 2 passes etc... everytime

I DO NOT RECOMMEND NOOBS CUT ANY CORNERS !!!

especially if doing this for first/second/third time etc......

NorInspector like many checkers on their own are not 101% perfect - I have had one instance

where it said valid yet the 3 dumps where not exactly identical in HxD. lucky no flashy

So it is generally said a couple/few checks are best.

But any $hit can happen - powercut whilst writing, defective nor/rsod - loads of things "could" go wrong

but more checks you do will reduce the risks

End of the day there is always a risk and if you open her up then you must fully understand everything is

therefore at YOUR RISK !!!!!

Dumping nor on unpowered/dead ps3 - mixed findings on that seems that some nors can't be dumped

and other makes like samsung nor on phat's can not be dumped - even tristate to ground & sep psu

but remove nor chip & place in E3 and samsung nor can be dumped/written to

(I got a few dead boards that I may look into this but the BwE thread on "another" forum has some success and others saying no way depending on nor/ps3 version)

Of course, only using HxD for verifying is stupid.

your dump is valid

Long Live Palestine

Its seems a few posts from here went bye bye.

• GregoryRasputin

Its seems a few posts from here went bye bye.

Sorry, we lost some in the revert back to the old software :(

Thought we did but wasn't sure, went looking for a post I posted in earlier and couldn't find it so I thought I just imagined I posted in one earlier lol.