• Announcements

• GregoryRasputin

Say Hello, Make An Introduction Thread :)   11/20/2015

We love having new members join the forum, what we like more is them being productive people and contributing a little bit to the forum. So if you are a new member, let us know who you are by saying hi in an introduction thread, you can find the forum section here: https://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/15-member-introduction/
Sign in to follow this  
Lucif3r

PSA: WiiU FW 5.5.2 released!

Lucif3r    2,438

This is just a short PSA to inform everyone that Nintendo have sneakily released a new FW for the dead WiiU. I dont know when they did it, but a quick look at other sites it seems they did it a few days ago.

So if youre a stupid bastard like me, and havent blocked updates properly(cause, y'know, dead console, theyre not gonna release any new FW... *cough*), DO IT NOW.

The update doesnt seem to 'activate' until you try to start a game (BotW in my case), giving you some leeway to block updates before its too late. I was lucky as fk and managed to get past it by force-shutting down the console.

A point I should make is that my WiiU is not "perma-hacked", and still relies on webkit/online exploit, hence the worst thing that wouldve happen is that I wouldnt be able to use it anymore.

BUT! If your WiiU is perma-hacked, theres a good chance it will completely brick should this update start installing.

I dont know whats been patched, but its fair to assume the webkit is one thing theyve patched.

Im fairly sure most of you were already aware of this sneaky update and/or have updates blocked already. But hey, maybe there is one person lurking here who have the WiiU stored in a box somewhere, and at some point just wants to play a game without any thought about blocking updates first/again.... Like me..... :tw_weary:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

marvin    26

5.5.2? Isn't that firmware released 3 weeks ago?

thezander    492

edit: nvm, i think i misunderstood.

Edited by thezander

BobbyBlunt    827

If you had haxchi installed and then updated you are fine. All Nintendon't did was block the web kit exploit. They closed the entry point, but didnt bother fixing anything else. I am on 5.5.2 (the assholes ignored my settings and updated it anyway) with working CBHC still. Everything works as it did before

thezander    492

BobbyBlunt    827
1 hour ago, thezander said:

beat me to it. As soon as I saw it I was thinking "@Lucif3r would be interested in this"

Lucif3r    2,438

Thats good to know. I'd still recommend to be cautious with updating your console though, at least until the web exploit is properly released. You never know, maybe they change their mind and decide to withhold it for god-knows-what-reason, or it could be terribly unstable and unreliable, making it a pain to use.

As far as I know, everything still works on 5.5.1, such as online play and eshop(with spoof), so theres really no need to update.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:37 PM, marvin said:

5.5.2? Isn't that firmware released 3 weeks ago?

Some quick searches does indeed show it was released a few weeks ago, however it did not pop up on my WiiU until the day I posted this thread. Also, if it was released that long ago, why have no one posted about it here earlier? <_<

On 8/11/2017 at 7:41 PM, BobbyBlunt said:

If you had haxchi installed and then updated you are fine. All Nintendon't did was block the web kit exploit. They closed the entry point, but didnt bother fixing anything else. I am on 5.5.2 (the assholes ignored my settings and updated it anyway) with working CBHC still. Everything works as it did before

Thats good, I just added that part as a general warning, since in some cases even unchanged official firmwares can be devastating for hacked devices - especially if you got coldboot-stuff enabled.

But I suppose its rather safe seeing as the FW isnt changed on hacked WiiU's, but rather hooked into/redirected at runtime(unlike a cfw ps3 for example).

But hey, one can never be too cautious when it comes to hacked devices and official firmware updates.