ConsoleHax

CTurt Tweets about 1.76 to 4.06 update.

Today developer CTurt has tweeted a picture, stating he's updating his 1.76 console to firmware 4.06. I don't have anymore information on what this means, but it must mean something good?

4.06 good for development, but for end user its same as 1.76

On a firmware not obtainable by many & for most would require a new console purchase (like 1.76) which you wont see. 4.06 will be a slightly bigger audience then 1.76, but not by much and it will be a very niche platform. So it will not attract alot of development or a userbase.

45 minutes ago, STLcardsWS said:

On a firmware not obtainable by many & for most would require a new console purchase (like 1.76) which you wont see. 4.06 will be a slightly bigger audience then 1.76, but not by much and it will be a very niche platform. So it will not attract alot of development or a userbase.

But qwertyoruiop also said this should work on 4.50 :D

39 minutes ago, STLcardsWS said:

I get what you're saying. Yet I see a big difference between 1.76 and 4.06. The time sony released the 1.76 update, not many enthousiast had bought a PS4, and I think when they did buy a PS4 1, it was already over 1.76 or 2. They bought it with the single purpose of gaming on it, instead of letting it sit in a box. When some rumours where released about fw 3.50 or was it 3.55 scene sites started to recommend people not to update further. I think a hell of a lot more people (including me) then made the decision to not install updates anymore. Also with the release of PS4 Slim, and it's fairly cheap price, a lot of those people bought a new console, in order to play online and game.

Their will always be people who still download and install new updates, like Vita owners when HENkaku was released. So I think a large userbase is waiting out there.

9 minutes ago, GregoryRasputin said:

But he also said this should work on 4.50 :D

Kernel & webkit = 4.0x

kernel = 4.50 (needs an entry point (i.e. webkit) )

Edited by STLcardsWS

1 minute ago, GregoryRasputin said:

But qwertyoruiop also said this should work on 4.50 :D

Not without a webkit exploit ;).

3 minutes ago, STLcardsWS said:

Kernel & webkit = 4.0x

kernel = 4.50 (needs an entry point )

3 minutes ago, ConsoleHax said:

Not without a webkit exploit ;).

Oh... >.<

13 minutes ago, ConsoleHax said:

I get what you're saying. Yet I see a big difference between 1.76 and 4.06. The time sony released the 1.76 update, not many enthousiast had bought a PS4, and I think when they did buy a PS4 1, it was already over 1.76 or 2. They bought it with the single purpose of gaming on it, instead of letting it sit in a box. When some rumours where released about fw 3.50 or was it 3.55 scene sites started to recommend people not to update further. I think a hell of a lot more people (including me) then made the decision to not install updates anymore. Also with the release of PS4 Slim, and it's fairly cheap price, a lot of those people bought a new console, in order to play online and game.

Their will always be people who still download and install new updates, like Vita owners when HENkaku was released. So I think a large userbase is waiting out there.

No very different you can not compare this to something like HENkaku.

HENkaku (vita) , 3.55 CFW (ps3), PSP (day 0 exploits). All had one thing in common. User had a extended period of time to choose a path.

The only people who are on lower firmware is very minimal in comparison, people on 1.76 (not many) so they can update and a small portion of the regular followers of the scene are on a lower firmware. So you have even most of the regular homebrew enthusiasts not even on the firmware, then you know anyone on the outside more then likely is not. So it very different from Henkaku where many who were not in the scene(s) learned about the scene seeing the huge main stream news saying the device are hacked as an example..  and like henkaku there was several weeks before an update arose. So every device had a period it could be hacked. not quite the same story for 4.06 on the ps4

So there is a HUGE difference. and alot of people not having access and yes you can buy a new console, but many already bought a console and very few are willing to buy another.  So talking apples and oranges to potential impact

EDIT: BTW i personally never suggested for people to not update. As i do not think waiting for an exploit that will not be popular and used much is worth missing all the PS4 OFW features. the time will come when a user has a choice like all the other devices.The time is not here yet

Edited by STLcardsWS

37 minutes ago, STLcardsWS said:

HENkaku (vita) , 3.55 CFW (ps3), PSP (day 0 exploits). All had one thing in common. User had a extended period of time to choose a path.

The only people who are on lower firmware is very minimal in comparison, people on 1.76 (not many) so they can update and a small portion of the regular followers of the scene are on a lower firmware. So you have even most of the regular homebrew enthusiasts not even on the firmware, then you know anyone on the outside more then likely is not. So it very different from Henkaku where many who were not in the scene(s) learned about the scene seeing the huge main stream news saying the device are hacked as an example..  and like henkaku there was several weeks before an update arose. So every device had a period it could be hacked. not quite the same story for 4.06 on the ps4

So there is a HUGE difference. and alot of people not having access and yes you can buy a new console, but many already bought a console and very few are willing to buy another.  So talking apples and oranges to potential impact

EDIT: BTW i personally never suggested for people to not update. As i do not think waiting for an exploit that will not be popular and used much is worth missing all the PS4 OFW features. the time will come when a user has a choice like all the other devices.The time is not here yet

Maybe it's because of the history (Vita 3.60, PS3 3.55, PSP) that more people finally got to know that waiting to update is worth it.. It could also be because scene sites get more visitors, since their social media brings in more mainstream people), and we all know that 70% of future hack news on trusted scene sites encourage people to stay on a firmware as low as possible. Or it could just be that because many of my friends finally stopped installing updates, that I have a opposite feeling.

Your opinion makes more sense, mine is just the feeling I get when I see people talk about updates, in comparison to a few years ago.

1 hour ago, STLcardsWS said:

On the bright side it keeps most of the annoying cunts out that always ask for cfw/mods/online access etc whenever an official firmware drops