Pi carts are cool, but android carts do so much more

BobbyBlunt

• Super Admin

I have been noticing a lot of sellers of raspberry pi carts on social media. I have a problem with most of these sellers because they are selling at an extremely inflated price, and basically charging for roms. I liked the idea of using a raspberry pi zero, but I wanted something with a bit more power under the hood. Not only are the carts I am selling more powerful, but I am charging half the price in many cases (I do not load with illegal content, and I am sure as fuck not charging for roms like some of these crooked ass sellers.) This is not a sale thread. I do not plan on using this site as a way of advertising/selling these but I did want to show off my work. Instead of using a raspberry pi zero I went with an android tv stick instead.

17493103_1607234692627841_90692223550707

17436103_1606924395992204_82810927119315

Going with an android TV stick did make it a little more difficult to fit everything inside of the cartridge. To keep everything flush with the end of the cartridge I had to use HDMI male instead. In the next picture don't mind how it looks lopsided as I hadn't yet closed the cartridge 

17390767_1606924309325546_64460416735830[

Now I like the raspberry pi zero and I like retro pi, but with these I have a quad core, 2 gig of ram, a full kodi install, and some games run a little better (N64, PS1)

• Upvote 4

Don't start shit, there won't be shit

• Super Moderator

Those are cool packages, what do you do with the insides of the cartridges after you gut them? Can you buy them as shells? Overall they look flawless, how long does it take you to assemble one?

Do you package them with those controllers as well?  I bought a usb snes controller that looked like one of those but it didnt last me long a lot of the buttons won't work for me anymore. I am just curious about your experience so far. I'm sure the damage was in part because the rubber connector at the controller separated which i bet pulled the wires. 

Don't be a jerk be cool! Join Switch Club today!

• Super Admin
2 minutes ago, thezander said:

Those are cool packages, what do you do with the insides of the cartridges after you gut them? Can you buy them as shells? Overall they look flawless, how long does it take you to assemble one?

Do you package them with those controllers as well?  I bought a usb snes controller that looked like one of those but it didnt last me long a lot of the buttons won't work for me anymore. I am just curious about your experience so far. I'm sure the damage was in part because the rubber connector at the controller separated which i bet pulled the wires. 

I do package one of those controllers with each bundle. I haven't done extensive stress testing but so far they seem to be working ok. I keep the insides of the cartridges as I can always put them in an empty shell later on and just print a new label. I could buy empty cartridges, but I just went to my local game store and grabbed a few cheap $2 cartridges. I grab duck hunt whenever I can find it because that game actually has the famicom to NES converter built inside the cartridge Once I get a better printer I will start doing custom labels. They do not take long to assemble and they didn't require many tools. I think I spent more time configuring the software the way I want it than I did assembling them. A razor blade, a pair of pliers, a dremel (I could have done it without the dremel, but it made life easy) and the screwdriver for game cartridge security bits.

Don't start shit, there won't be shit

• GregoryRasputin

If i bought one of these, could you also ship it with some nice Black Sapote seeds?

These are cool. I've seen these before, but didn't really show much interest as most are strictly setup for emulation. With the android stick tho....tons of possibilities I'd assume. Don't know much about these but good job man. I'm interested for sure if you throw some more together.