• Announcements

• GregoryRasputin

Say Hello, Make An Introduction Thread :)   11/20/2015

We love having new members join the forum, what we like more is them being productive people and contributing a little bit to the forum. So if you are a new member, let us know who you are by saying hi in an introduction thread, you can find the forum section here: https://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/15-member-introduction/

thezander    492

First I do not think it would be over presumptuous to claim that I am sure a great deal of you out there have heard of Zelda BOTW. Game came out 3/3 and I figured a thread concerning it would be appropriate. Now some fans out there are very weary of reading anything someone has to say on the game because the Zelda franchise has intriguing stories and hidden secrets that people do not like to have spoiled for them so I will try not to hit any major plot lines or locations of stuff.

So I'll start off by saying I was hesitant when I saw footage last year I think it was called a treehouse event or something of the first BOTW gameplay they went away with a lot of tropes; the ability to hop, classic tunic, breakable weapons, weird potion making crap. I thought it could of given the game a bad omen however having just defeated the last boss or whatever you'd like to call it I can tell you that the game is excellent. Now I will keep out of the more specific details I suppose of some gameplay things in this first post such as what I thought of how dungeons were addressed and new abilities or items. I'll keep that for other post below I guess.

If any of this you found still too spoiler-y just tell me to screw off or something.  

• Upvote 2

Lucif3r    2,438

"omg stop spoiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111one"

:P 

Hm, ye, Im one of those skeptics regarding BOTW... I havent played it myself yet becuase A) My WiiU is still packed in a box somewhere, B.) Im hooked on another game that takes up all my time lol and C) I've somehow lost interest in the game, it failed to give me the "hawly shiet must have!"-impression previous zelda-titles have given me. I'll probably pick it up at some point though.

As a side-note in regards to impressions etc.. Most of you know I'm quite fond of the Tales-games, but... Even Tales of Berseria failed to impress me with the demo, so much so that I havent even bought it. I do have it... "borrowed"... from the interwebs on my HDD's though, but I still havent installed or played it.... So... yeah.... /end-offtopic

• Upvote 2

ConsoleHax    132

So the game was released on 3/3, and yet you already defeated the last boss? Please tell me that there is still plenty to do in game?
Last game I played and lasted for only 2 days (platinum trophy) was Watch_Dogs 2, and after the last mission it was only repetitive sh*t.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Zelda fan since SNES, but the last console I bought just to be able to play Zelda was my Wii. Breath Of The Wild however makes me want to buy a Switch.

Is it worth to pay +/- 400$ just to play one freaking game? Or should I just invest 60$ and buy a great PS4 game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, and save me 340$?

Edited by ConsoleHax
typos

thezander    492

yeah there is a ton i have yet to do. i was just anxious to beat him (worried about zelda and hyrule and all that) the cool thing about this game that one of the nintendo dudes mentioned is that you could pretty much fight ganon from very early in the game. you just probably won't win unless you are seriously a savant at this type of thing. the other thing the guy said was that if playing non stop someone still wouldn't be able to 100% the game in a week. 

now is it worth buying a switch over? while it is a great game if you have seen the future titles to be released and Mario Odyssey didn't peak your interest and you don't know think nintendo titles will be of interest either then you can still get it for the wiiu which if you dont already have should be discounted or find a used one. 

• Upvote 1

BobbyBlunt    827
On 3/6/2017 at 6:42 AM, ConsoleHax said:

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Zelda fan since SNES, but the last console I bought just to be able to play Zelda was my Wii. Breath Of The Wild however makes me want to buy a Switch.

Is it worth to pay +/- 400$ just to play one freaking game? Or should I just invest 60$ and buy a great PS4 game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, and save me 340$?

Not right now. It really isn't worth the upgrade yet. Let them iron out the launch bugs. Wii U version of BotW is fine and the wii u is moddable, while the switch isn't right now. A few games you will be seeing on the switch are currently available on wii u

• Upvote 1

thezander    492

Hey the new DLC dropped called 'The Master Trials DLC' which includes a trial of a sword that leaves you weaponless and having to defeat a bunch of enemies. Also a new hard mode which is harder. New armor and side quest as well. 

I haven't gotten it yet, I hope to do so soon just got to get in the right mind. 

source http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/The_Master_Trials_DLC

I've heard both good and bad things about BOTW. I've not played it myself yet though, waiting until emulation is near perfect before I pick up a copy...though at the rate Cemu's progressing that could easily be tomorrow.

Lucif3r    2,438

Ive finally gotten around starting BotW and... hm... Mixed feelings.. Its pretty much spot-on with what I was ranting about before it was released - its not a zelda game! It plays COMPLETELY different from any previous 3D zelda.

Its also quite hard to get into. Theres no guide to speak of, no introductions, no easing into all the things you need to know, the game just wakes you up(literally) and tells you "figure it out yourself, dick". Some things in the very early stages I only figured out due to prior experience with the franchise, and remembering the E3 coverages.

Its also hard... Very hard... Its not like previous games where the monsters become harder and harder(well, they probably do but...), some monsters near the starting area will straight up one-shot you. Just bam, dead. I've never died so many times in a Zelda game within the first 2 hours as in BotW :dodgy:

Ranting aside, the game is good. Once you forget everything you know about previous 3D zeldas in terms of gameplay, you start appreciating this new formula a bit more.
Theres a shitton to do, whether it will become a chore further down the line I do not know yet, we'll see about that.

... The durability of everything is fucking bullshit though.

TL;DR BotW is pretty much exactly as I predicted before the release. Its nothing like previous games(="its not zelda!!!!111one"), but the game is good.

Oh yeah, also, its obvious they gave up on the WiiU version... My god it has the worst framedrops Ive ever seen in a WiiU title before - including Xenoblade Chronicles X which was bad at times. The gfx quality is also garbage (unlike XBCX), pixel-city to say the least.

No doubt the Switch version is significantly better.

thezander    492

I agree that the durability of weapons is annoying, I mean it shouldn't apply to hylian shield ( spoiler?). Also I never got into making potions and stuff which is a huge part of getting ready for certain things like bosses. 

About it being difficult right from the get go I am not sure. I mean you still have to follow that old dude around and he explains a good brief overview of the entire game. Those first three shrines, there is a slight tutorial feel to it. Also some Zelda fan jerks still complain incessantly about Twilight having way too much tutorial to it. 

The part I didn't like was the feeling of too much climbing, I know it's because I didn't stake out where I was going thoroughly enough before scaling a mountain for 10 minutes to find out there's a walking path. It is a good game though and has a bunch of Zelda aspects to it. I can't recall a single game where Link knew where he was or what he was doing or going to do but this is a new idea to just give him amnesia. I played it on WiiU too and not sophisticated enough to notice frame rates and things of that nature. 

Also the hopping didn't bother me as much as I thought it would when I learned about it from Treehouse coverage, I realized that it wasn't the first game to do it. I just didn't remember Link's Awakening because I was not a fan of that game at all.