GregoryRasputin

Suitable External HDD's For Use With Games On PS4

Last week i wrote this article which gives the details of the upcoming PS4 Firmware that is at the moment in Beta stages, one of the most popular features is the ability to use External HDD's for storage of games, you can use up to a whopping 8TB for games, which is awesome.

c4Ki4qb.png

Image via

One tester found out that you can only have one HDD per device, but that is no big deal, are you really going to fill up a complete 8TB?, another tester found that you could share that one HDD amongst other PS4's connected to your PSN account.

Now which HDD's would be best to use?

Well one would assumes that you need at a minimum a USB 3 HDD and if it was SDD that would be a bonus, also the HDD should be self powered and i would suggest staying away from portable HDD's, even on the Pro, below i have compiled a list of suitable devices, of course they are not all tested on the PS4, but there is no reason they should not work, the links of course are affiliated links:

USB 3.0 HDD's

All these devices are self powerd, which means you plug them into an electric socket and they don't rely on the PS4 powering them.

Seagate Expansion 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive - £72.99 - This also comes in 3, 4 and 5TB

WD 2TB Elements Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - £74.99  - This also comes in 3, 4 and 5TB

WD 2TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - £118.02  - This also comes in 3, 4, 6 and 8TB

Buffalo HD-LX2.0TU3-EU 2TB DriveStation Velocity USB 3.0 - £77.59  - This also comes in 3, 4 and 6TB

Verbatim 47672 2TB Store n Save USB 3.0 - £88.64  - This also comes in 3 and 4TB

USB 3.0 SSD

Finding a self powered USB SSD is hard or very expensive, USB powered are equally as expensive, for example:

LaCie Rugged SSD 1TB Thunderbolt & USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch External SSD - £578.82

To be honest there is no real reason to buy an external SSD, you could just install an internal one and it would be cheaper.

D.I.Y

This is probably the cheapest and more fun way, of course you will be left with some ugly cables and a naked HDD lying about, but they could be hid or decorated in a way that they do not look so bad.

UGREEN USB to Sata Adapter - £15.99 - Connect your 3.5" HDD or 2.5" HDD/SSD, plug into mains, then plug into USB port.

WANLONGXIN WLX-393U3 USB 3.0 TO 3.5 Inch SATA I/ II/ III Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure Case with Cooling Fan - £22.99 - This is a complete enclosure and it comes with the added bonus of a fan, so will keep your HDD cool.

Startech eSATA or USB 3.0 External Docking Station - £43.98 - This is is different than the above enclosure, with this you can easily swap HDD's and use it on other devices such as Xbox One, Wii U and PC, also takes 2.5" HDD's and has a fan.

2TB 3.5" Sata Internal Desktop HDD's - ranging from £39.99 to £291.00