mr_lou

Blu-ray Disc Java (BD-J) game "Ukko's Journey" preview video

Demonstrating Java homebrew on the PS3.
Ukko's Journey was originally a cellphone game developed by LuBlu Entertainment in 2008-2009. (See www.ukkosjourney.com).
In 2017 LuBlu Entertainment is porting the game to BD-J purely as a proof-of-concept project, demonstrating that homebrew for the PS3 + PS4 + Xbox One is possible with Java.
Once this project is complete, the game should run on all 3 consoles - from the same disc!

Here is a preview video showing the game running on a PS3.

Just a short status-update on this project.

I gotta admit it's been a bigger challenge than expected, and quite surprisingly, the device that has proven to be the most difficult one to get things running on, is the PS3!
This is very unexpected. I thought the PS3 would be the easiest device to develop for, while all other devices would be trickier. But it turns out it's the other way around!
Things the PS3 doesn't like (and which doesn't make any sense), are stuff like appending a char array to a StringBuffer, or having several String operations in a single line. Code that runs fine on all other devices (including the PS4). I have no answer as to why it's like this on the PS3, but the rule to remember is: Write less complex code.

Luckily I have a BD-RE for testing purposes. (I strongly recommend you get one. You can make several thousand burns on one of those when testing BD-J because you won't be using that much space). Unless of course you have a DECR, in which case you can just run your ISO directly off of harddisk.
I don't have a DECR. I don't even have a PS3. The one I'm using for testing belongs to my mate, who's been kind enough to lend it to me for this project.

More updates later.

Hey,

I think the mounting and running BD-J iso's off HDD (PS3) needs more testing...At least more than 1 tester on CFW anyway.

If it doesn't work out, well at least i can test n learn without buying a burner and discs.

Il test a DVD with the funky fresh iso tonight to see if the DECR allows ;)

24 minutes ago, centrino said:

Hey,

I think the mounting and running BD-J iso's off HDD (PS3) needs more testing...At least more than 1 tester on CFW anyway.

If it doesn't work out, well at least i can test n learn without buying a burner and discs.

Il test a DVD with the funky fresh iso tonight to see if the DECR allows ;)

Well, testing if DECR will run Blu-ray off of DVD isn't a whole lot interesting, since you can already run off of harddisk. So why burn a disc when you can just copy to harddisk?

It's more interesting to explore ways to get it running off of harddisk on a CFW PS3.

Gregory has just tested a Blu-ray ISO burned to DVD on PS4 and XB1. The results: PS4 won't play it, but XB1 will. So at least it's easier for the XB1 users to play homebrew, since they can just burn to a DVD.

As for PS3 and PS4, they need to burn a BD-R or BD-RE so far.

Edited by mr_lou

I'm going to need a few betatesters soon. Gregory has already had a go on his XB1.

As a betatester you will need to be able to run the ISO on your console.

If you have an XB1, then you just need a DVD burner, since XB1 accepts Blu-ray content from a DVD.

If you have a PS3 or PS4 you will need a Blu-ray burner - unless you have a DECR model, in which case you can run the ISO from harddisk using multiMAN.

The game itself has already been playtested back in 2008-2009, so you won't be doing playtesting. You will be doing "BD-J testing", which means "Checking everything runs fine on your gaming console".

Your name/nick will be listed in end-credits under "BD-J TESTERS".

Any volunteers with the necessary equipment?

Ukko's Journey is in betatest now.

There has been a successful test running it from harddisk on a CFW PS3 from webMAN by masterzorag!!!  This is awesome news!

Anyone else with a jailbroken PS3 running webMAN or multiMAN feeling like testing? Send me a PM.

New preview video:

All betatesters has had a chance to download the betatest version now.

Here's what you can test for me:

Can you run the game from harddisk on your jailbroken PS3 using webMAN or multiMAN?
(Copy the ISO to the BDISO folder. Double-click it to mount it. Launch from the video-column).

Can you run the game on your software media player on your PC? (Which player is it?)

If you own a Blu-ray burner and other kinds of Blu-ray players, it could be fun to test the game in those as well, but that's low priority.

Feel free to experiment with different ways of getting the game running.

Please post your test-results in this thread.

Thanks a lot for your help!