• Announcements

• GregoryRasputin

Say Hello, Make An Introduction Thread :)   11/20/2015

We love having new members join the forum, what we like more is them being productive people and contributing a little bit to the forum. So if you are a new member, let us know who you are by saying hi in an introduction thread, you can find the forum section here: https://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/15-member-introduction/

zapptheman    166

Hey guys. just wanted to make a quick tutorial on how to replace the battery in those good ol gba games as they're becoming ancient and batterys and running dry killing time based events.

As usual here's a short video tut showing what im doing followed by a quick written up step by step guid beneath.

Enjoy :)

Written part:

Step 1: get tools;

- solder

- soldering iron

- screw driver

- 1616 tabbed battery.

Step 2: Open cartridge with special screw driver.

Step 3: desolder old battery by gently pressing iron against solder on board and make little circles to spread and distribute heat evenly so you don't burn the board.

Step 4: Chose your own way to solder new battery to board on cartridge. make sure pos (+) is facing down and the pos (+) tab is pointing to the solder point inwards to the board.

Step 4B: if you don't know how to solder the battery do what i did. i made little solder balls and placed them on top of the tabs and tinned them to make it easier when i drooped them into place on the board.

Step 5: Put cartridge back together and screw back in

Step 6: Put cartridge into gba or ds and test it out

Step 7: Profit? :LiebSmilie-Headbanger-mit-Gitar

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you damage your game. i have given you instructions to perform the process without damaging it. human error is always possible especially if you have low experience soldering. 

• Upvote 2

Lucif3r    2,415

This same method can be used for ANY carts that has a built-in battery, such as Zelda for NES, original GB games such as pokemon, SNES games, N64....

WOW Thanks for this awesome tutorial! You never know with those batteries man!  Also, that intro was too sweet!!! Keep it up bro!!! You're pro!!!

zapptheman    166
17 hours ago, Lucif3r said:

This same method can be used for ANY carts that has a built-in battery, such as Zelda for NES, original GB games such as pokemon, SNES games, N64....

yeah man :) but you know got it on an old pokemon game so i thought  i would dedicate it to that haha. you're right though. 

12 hours ago, DeadAim6219 said:

WOW Thanks for this awesome tutorial! You never know with those batteries man!  Also, that intro was too sweet!!! Keep it up bro!!! You're pro!!!

not sure if srs... if so im glad i helped....

Lucif3r    2,415

Oh I didnt mean anything negative towards you with my statement, I just thought I would add that piece of info in case anyone were wondering :) 

In other words, your guide is perfectly useful for other cartridges as well, and not limited to the one you showed. The method is identical, only difference would be getting inside the cart, and the size and shape of the PCB itself.

Another thing to note is that replacing the battery may wipe your save games, especially on earlier battery-carts such as NES and GB. I think the pokemon games for the original GB is one of them.

But there is a trick one can use, and thats disassembling the cart, putting it in the console and turn it on, and then replace the battery while its turned on. That way your saves wont get wiped. BUT, I do NOT recommend that method! Soldering, or doing anything, to a live circuit is bad practice.... But it is possible... If youre desperate enough... But not recommended.... But it is possible............... But not recommended... but.. yeah.... lol

And one last thing to add. Always, always, ALWAYS take extra care when soldering near or on batteries, as excessive or prolonged heat can cause them to explode - and you dont want that! Even a small coincell battery packs a decent punch....

With a decent iron and tip its usually fine, since you only need to heat it for 1-2sec at most, the biggest risk is bad irons and tips that require a longer time to heat something up enough to solder it on.

For this reason I would also recommend leaded solder, as the meltingpoint is significantly lower than lead-free solder(180isc C versus 230isch C). Actually, I always recommend leaded solder, because its easier to work with and much more durable, especially in the flexing-part. Had the PS3 been soldered with leaded balls, the YLOD-issues would be rarity instead of a guarantee.

thezander    485

This is pretty dope. Reminds me of how I put a cell phone battery in my gba last year. I won't post a guide or pictures though because of the high probability of being electrocuted. But, I had no idea this even happened I have a bunch of GBA games that won't work which I thought they got ruined from the cold or humid atmosphere. 

zapptheman    166
On 1/7/2017 at 6:40 AM, Lucif3r said:

Oh I didnt mean anything negative towards you with my statement, I just thought I would add that piece of info in case anyone were wondering :) 

In other words, your guide is perfectly useful for other cartridges as well, and not limited to the one you showed. The method is identical, only difference would be getting inside the cart, and the size and shape of the PCB itself.

Another thing to note is that replacing the battery may wipe your save games, especially on earlier battery-carts such as NES and GB. I think the pokemon games for the original GB is one of them.

But there is a trick one can use, and thats disassembling the cart, putting it in the console and turn it on, and then replace the battery while its turned on. That way your saves wont get wiped. BUT, I do NOT recommend that method! Soldering, or doing anything, to a live circuit is bad practice.... But it is possible... If youre desperate enough... But not recommended.... But it is possible............... But not recommended... but.. yeah.... lol

And one last thing to add. Always, always, ALWAYS take extra care when soldering near or on batteries, as excessive or prolonged heat can cause them to explode - and you dont want that! Even a small coincell battery packs a decent punch....

With a decent iron and tip its usually fine, since you only need to heat it for 1-2sec at most, the biggest risk is bad irons and tips that require a longer time to heat something up enough to solder it on.

For this reason I would also recommend leaded solder, as the meltingpoint is significantly lower than lead-free solder(180isc C versus 230isch C). Actually, I always recommend leaded solder, because its easier to work with and much more durable, especially in the flexing-part. Had the PS3 been soldered with leaded balls, the YLOD-issues would be rarity instead of a guarantee.

haha nah man there was no offence taken or anything. was happy to have the input and im sure others will be if they need the help. 

on a side note, one of the pokemon games i was working with said the save was currupted before i changed the battery and as soon as i placed the new battery in the safe file was restored. not sure how it was linked or what but that happened. also with the old snes carts you were talking about. i guess if desperate enough and if the cart relied on the battery, one could even provide power to cart with external power supply via traces that go to the power carrying pins on the board? is not you could always solder the new battery as a parallel to the first and try and get the first battery off and some crap like that too. would probably be messy af and highly not recommended. 

On 1/8/2017 at 6:10 AM, thezander said:

This is pretty dope. Reminds me of how I put a cell phone battery in my gba last year. I won't post a guide or pictures though because of the high probability of being electrocuted. But, I had no idea this even happened I have a bunch of GBA games that won't work which I thought they got ruined from the cold or humid atmosphere. 

yeah man a bunch of them can do this. i would recommend checking batteries if they have them, if not its most likely the pins. i have had a few stop working too. just open them up and clean the pins with alcohol on an earbud to give them a good clean. give it a go it might work for you