I just got a 32GB Wii U. I am looking for a way to softmod it. All I can find is ways to mod for individual games. I need something that will let me play games that I have on an external hard drive. I have a similar mod on my old Wii. Can somebody please send me a url to such a mod?

• GregoryRasputin
31 minutes ago, JustAsIAm said:

I just got a 32GB Wii U. I am looking for a way to softmod it. All I can find is ways to mod for individual games. I need something that will let me play games that I have on an external hard drive. I have a similar mod on my old Wii. Can somebody please send me a url to such a mod?

Do you mean you want it modded for Wii U games or for the vWii part to play Wii Homebrew and games ?

• Upvote 1

What I want to to play Wii and Wii-U games from the external hard drive without having to have the original cd in the drive.

For the WiiU you have 2 options, loadiine + sdcard, or the newly found/released WUP installer which works with external HDD(but is limited to eShop games afaik, meaning you cant rip disc games).

For Wii you need an exploitable game, I think smash works. Wii works just fine with external HDD.

BUT! You CAN NOT use the same HDD for Wii and WiiU, since the Wii uses standard-partitions(FAT32, although I think NTFS works as well), while the WiiU uses propriety stuff with encryption and shit. 

edit. I am obviously talking about the vWii, and not the actual physical Wii console.

Edited by Lucif3r

872daeaf9d5ccbb7d98bb4fef4246f6e9da5ddcf

When you say "limited to eShop games" what does that mean? Does the WUP Installer allow me to download games from eShop at no cost? Or are we talking about eShop games I have already downloaded or somehow place on the external drive?

Is there a way I can just mod the Wii portion of my WiiU so that I can have all my Wii CD backup games on the external drive and they will run?

You need to acquire the eShop games from somewhere, then you can install them from a usb stick or something. Im not 100% sure as I havent bothered trying it myself.

Yes, you can mod just the vWii part of the WiiU. 

• Super Moderator

For the wii part, there weren't any soft mod options until the last couple days. However i saw i post recently with a tutorial that utilizes the new exploit to do it without lego city Batman. Ill give it when i can use a non phone computer. So you can install hackmii and whatever else you want. If you used to have a wii once homebrew channel is installed you are good to go. 

Then the wiiu and eshop stuff is different. People are using a program to download games off of Nintendo's Servers and putting them on a sd card and installing them to a usb drive. There's a little more to it but im not with a computer at the moment. 

You just want a link to a tutorial t get started it seems. Once you have homebrew channel crap its a sinch. 

Don't be a jerk be cool! Join Switch Club today!

• Super Admin
3 hours ago, thezander said:

For the wii part, there weren't any soft mod options until the last couple days. However i saw i post recently with a tutorial that utilizes the new exploit to do it without lego city Batman.

Smash Stack has been working since the wii u released. This is nothing new. That is still a soft mod even if it has to use a disc. Last few days? more like last few years. 

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wuphax-hacking-vwii-with-iosuhax.446786/ <---- the new tutorial you speak of without a disc

Edited by BobbyBlunt

Don't start shit, there won't be shit

A couple of questions:

Do I need to use a different mod for the WiiU that I use for the Wii on the same console?

Can I use an external drive that has two partitions so that I can use part for the WiiU and part for the Wii?

The wii and wiiu are treated as 2 seperated things, just like ePSP is on the Vita.

And no, you can not use one HDD with 2 partitions for both the wii and wiiu, since the wiiu occupies the ENTIRE HDD, and theres nothing you can do about it. Its exactly how the PS3 treats its internal HDD, it will do a full format and install its own fs and encrypt the entire thing, regardless if you have 1, 2 or 100 partitions on it already.

• Super Admin
1 hour ago, JustAsIAm said:

A couple of questions:

Do I need to use a different mod for the WiiU that I use for the Wii on the same console?

Can I use an external drive that has two partitions so that I can use part for the WiiU and part for the Wii?

Yes the mod to mod vWii and Wii U is different. 

You can't use a single HDD with 2 partitions. You will need 2 separate drives. I am going to try out using a external powered USB hub and see if I can get away with using 2 different drives. I marked my vwii drive as hidden so the Wii U would stop nagging me about formatting it, but most of the vwii homebrew can read the drive even though it was marked as hidden

12 hours ago, BobbyBlunt said:

Yes the mod to mod vWii and Wii U is different.

OK. I have been seeing a lot on Wii and Virtual Wii. What is the difference? Is the virtual wii an emulator that runs through the Wii U menu?

• Super Moderator

OK. I have been seeing a lot on Wii and Virtual Wii. What is the difference? Is the virtual wii an emulator that runs through the Wii U menu?

yeah, any reference to the Wii in the context of WiiU is the same thing. 

• GregoryRasputin
11 hours ago, JustAsIAm said:

The Wii and Virtual Wii are the same thing, i think it may be a mix of hardware and software emulation.

You can soft mod the vWii and it won't affect the Wii U and vice versa, you can mod the Wii U and it will not touch the vWii, or you can have best of both worlds and mod both sections :)

Wii/vWii

This without a doubt is the easiest method and will give you everything you need, apart from Wii U game 'back ups'.

Only difference between vWii and an actual Wii console is a couple of exploits not working on vWii(letterbomb and twilight iirc). Oh, and the lack of GC support of course. but with softmod you get GC support even in vWii so... Only thing missing then is the lack of physical GC-pad connections, but I think the GC adapter for the WiiU works these days.

• Super Admin
10 hours ago, Lucif3r said:

but I think the GC adapter for the WiiU works these days.

yup it works fine. Nintendont also has great compatibility. I have yet to run into a GC game that wont run

This is all way too complicated. Every time I try a kernal exploit, my Wii U locks up. I looked at the Wup Installer but cannot figure out how to install it.

I tried to install loadline, but when I went to the url that they said will run loadline, nothing happens. No lockup, no nothing.

To hack the vWii, AI need to have an original game in the cd drive that I do not own, so I have no way to do that.

I installed an external drive to the WiiU and it formatted it. Now I have no way to transfer backed up games to it. Maybe if I get this modded, I can use FTP to get to it. I plugged it back into my computer and it could no longer read the drive. I was able to fix it with the Computer Manager in Windows 10, but still, that was weird.

Edited by JustAsIAm
  • Super Moderator
40 minutes ago, JustAsIAm said:

This is all way too complicated. Every time I try a kernal exploit, my Wii U locks up. I looked at the Wup Installer but cannot figure out how to install it.

I tried to install loadline, but when I went to the url that they said will run loadline, nothing happens. No lockup, no nothing.

To hack the vWii, AI need to have an original game in the cd drive that I do not own, so I have no way to do that.

I installed an external drive to the WiiU and it formatted it. Now I have no way to transfer backed up games to it. Maybe if I get this modded, I can use FTP to get to it. I plugged it back into my computer and it could no longer read the drive. I was able to fix it with the Computer Manager in Windows 10, but still, that was weird.

What's your firmware version? You should update to latest if you haven't

Get this thing first

https://github.com/dimok789/homebrew_launcher/releases

make sure your sd structure is wiiu>apps>hbl

Then access that exploit site, then the hbl thing will load. If locking up is happening the site you are using might not be working or you may have a suck firmware version. loadiine.ovh is a website most use, seems to work fine.

Then any apps you want, wupinstaller, loadiine, whatever goes in the app folder. When you laod hbl they will show up and you launch them.

• Upvote 1

I have 5.5.1. My sd folder is SD:/wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher. Is this the problem?

I just downloaded the homebrew from the links you provided.

I uploaded the www files to my server at http://jcitech.net/homebrew/index.html

I put the files on my sd card in the /wiiu/apps/hbl folder (I also tried the /wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher folder.

I went to the link I showed above and it locks up my Wii U every time.

Ideas?

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, JustAsIAm said:

I just downloaded the homebrew from the links you provided.

I uploaded the www files to my server at http://jcitech.net/homebrew/index.html

I put the files on my sd card in the /wiiu/apps/hbl folder (I also tried the /wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher folder.

I went to the link I showed above and it locks up my Wii U every time.

Ideas?

i'll try your link when i get my wiiu, as long as your folder structure matches the readme you should be good did you try accessing the exploit at www.loadiine.ovh ? it's a weird domain but if that doesnt work then you might have an anomaly. however it would probably just come down to your sd card stuff

Make sure the SD-card is FAT32. Not NTFS, Not FATX, Not FAT16. FAT32.

Also, the kexsploit can take many tries before it works, although with loadiine.ovh I usually only have to try 1 or 2 times.

I just checked and the SD card is indeed formatted as FAT32. I have reformatted it several times and re-copied the files on it. No go.

Every time I try loadline and go to the link provided, nothing happens.

Question: Now my browser goes to my link that activates the kernel expout automatically when I launch it. That means when I run the internet browser, my Wii U locks up. Is there a way to reset the browser?

• Super Moderator

I just checked and the SD card is indeed formatted as FAT32. I have reformatted it several times and re-copied the files on it. No go.

Every time I try loadline and go to the link provided, nothing happens.

Question: Now my browser goes to my link that activates the kernel expout automatically when I launch it. That means when I run the internet browser, my Wii U locks up. Is there a way to reset the browser?

Try temporarily turning off your internet.

Then clear your cookies, and cache and whatever other crap it lets you clear. And try the exploit again. I forgot that part, clearing cookies and stuff is recommended sometimes.

okay, I can tell you that your site host didn't work for me either. Locks up my wiiu,

Try turning off wifi, reset everything in browser and try again.

theZander, do you have the url to a proven Wii U exploit site? One that does not lock up YOUR Wii U?