• Announcements

• GregoryRasputin

Say Hello, Make An Introduction Thread :)   11/20/2015

We love having new members join the forum, what we like more is them being productive people and contributing a little bit to the forum. So if you are a new member, let us know who you are by saying hi in an introduction thread, you can find the forum section here: https://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/15-member-introduction/
Derf

Blu-Ray Drive Power Pinout?

Question

Hello! 

My Blu-Ray drive is broken in my CECH-2504, and I want to remove it since I have no need for it to be fixed. I'm looking into putting an extra 1TB 3.5" HDD that I have into it, but I believe the standard HDD power plug (made for 2.5" HDDs) might not be able to properly power the 3.5" drive, and the devwiki says it may be unsafe, so I'm looking to power it off of the Blu-Ray power line. Does anyone know the pinout of the Blu-Ray or maybe alt points for it? Or do you think there's a better way to tap into the required 12V?

Cheers! 

1 answer to this question

There is a better way, by connecting it to the "prongs" of the power supply... that prongs are 12v (one is GND... the other 12v) and are only enabled when the PS3 is ON
In other words... when the PS3 is in standby there is no 12v out of the power supply, and thats good for what you need

You will need also a "sata connector extender cable" (containing both...data and power wires)... you will have to mod it a bit to attach the 12v wire to it
Something like this (male to female connectors) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sata-15-7-pin-combined-Power-and-Data-30cm-Extension-Cable-Male-to-Female-/191096045072
For the mod you need to cut the yellow wire and attach it to the power supply... and left it unconnected in the motherboard side (because you dont want to send the 12v to the motherboard)

Edited by sandungas