GregoryRasputin

Advertisements And PlayStationHaX/WiiUHaX

Advertisements, i hate them, i despise them, but they are an important part of the livelihood of some forums. 

F04Ywnu.jpg

For the past two years i have been financing my forum through my own money, i have also received some donations, all which can bee seen on the forum, i have used Amazon affiliation, but in around two years i have earned about £21 which i cannot claim until it reaches £25, in that same time i have earned £10 from CDKeys and about $20 from Play-Asia all with affiliation links when posting certain articles.

So basically in two years i have earned about £45 in affiliation, due to some debt i have gotten myself into i am starting to struggle with financing the websites, so i will have to use advertisements, it is not something i want to do, but it is something i need to do in order to keep us alive.

I am posting this because i have always been transparent with you guys and i always will be, i just didn't want to start dumping ad's everywhere and not tell you, the ad's shouldn't affect some of you, they will only be visible to guests and new members and normal members, senior members and above won't see them.

If you use AdBlockers feel free to keep using them, i will not penalise you for doing so and i won't install annoying plugins to tell you to turn your AdBlock off.

Sorry if this news has disappointed anyone, i feel guilty for having to do it, but the ad's are needed at the moment, i also need to learn how to use affiliation properly as i am clearly doing something wrong.

I will never use ad's such as those on Max Console or GBATemp and i won't stoop to disgusting levels and charge people to install shit like Hackinformer, if it comes to the stage i simply can't afford to do it any more, i will close the forum and the blogs and transfer the Vita Wiki to someone who can run it.

I have tons of respect for your work and passion. This website should never go offline; I'm sure many of us feel the same.

Sorry to hear income from ads is so low. I will click them more frequently, but I can't learn you how ads are more profitable. I will try out Google Adsense, but that's one you don't use?

Also I will donate when i'm home. Hope that more people are able to help out! 

Keep up the good work :-)!

1 minute ago, ConsoleHax said:

I have tons of respect for your work and passion. This website should never go offline; I'm sure many of us feel the same.

Sorry to hear income from ads is so low. I will click them more frequently, but I can't learn you how ads are more profitable. I will try out Google Adsense, but that's one you don't use?

Also I will donate when i'm home. Hope that more people are able to help out! 

Keep up the good work :-)!

I don't actually have any ad's, i would use affiliate links when i posted offers, they didn't make as much as i expected, i have applied to Adsense, not sure how well i will get along with them, considering they are not a fan of swearing >.<

Also please don't feel you need to donate, that is not why i created this thread, i created it mostly so it wouldn't be a shock to people if they seen ad's appear.

28 minutes ago, GregoryRasputin said:

Also please don't feel you need to donate, that is not why i created this thread, i created it mostly so it wouldn't be a shock to people if they seen ad's appear.

I don't feel that I need to donate, and I appreciate you not asking for donations. But as I donate to developers regularly, I feel I can't just let this pass without donating something to this website ;-).

No it would not be shock to me if ads appear.

For running website is a needed thing and really sad that u earned 45 pounds heck for two years. damn thats so low :o

Keep up the good work and so far u managed the forum very good and you faced some challenges and dealt with them like a man and continue to do so.

Forum was very clean and members also and is growing to be a succesful site.

I hope it doesnt come to forum closing and if even if it comes you atleast tried to create a cool forum and really all peoples here thank you for that in their deep heart (even the dumb  assholes in the section hahahaha).

The irc was also epic and I had very good time there and here during these years :D

Im for enabling ads for all users even senior members or mods or whatever as most of time the senior ones spend here also refresh.

Keep up the good work.

PS :

I have ublock disabled here since long time and guys disable it for this site as its a minimum thing to do for this good place in harsh internet world.

Edited by StarMelter

Ads suck, but they are a necessity - especially when youre financing the website in question from your own pocket, which can directly affect your and/or your family's everyday life.

I think as long as you dont add those annoying pop-ups, a few ads wont annoy that many people. After all, most other forums have ads, so its not like this site would stick out(unless you go the ps3hax-way... let us not speak of that again...).

It would suck big time if the forum had to close down... :|

Good luck on Google Adsense hopefully they approve you. Have you thought about media.net ? I guess it's like adsense for bing and yahoo. 

I had once applied to get accepted to adsense, and when they looked at my site I had a search place where it was google integrated site search. And above the search bar I pasted the Google logo but changed the 'G' into a 'Z' and they told me I was copyright infringing. I took it down and they said fine, but it was kind of funny at the time. 

no one Should mind ADs and complain About them and if He does he needs to stop being Naive Any free content On the Internet Has to  pay for Itself Via Ads

I personally Use Adblock But I Excluded playstationhax.xyz From the List For many Reasons But especially for the Fact that it does Not have any (GET IN YOUR FACE  AND MAKE YOU WANNA BREAK THE SCREEN Type of ADS).... so we r good

I'm curious and I hate to ask.....what's it cost to run a site for a year? Just strictly out of curiosity. If that's non of my business or I've crossed boundaries....just say so.  

3 hours ago, Bigbones87 said:

I'm curious and I hate to ask.....what's it cost to run a site for a year? Just strictly out of curiosity. If that's non of my business or I've crossed boundaries....just say so.  

Depends on the size of the site and what is needed. Sometimes you can use cheap basic hosting, and other times you need to rent your own box and host it yourself. As the forum grows, so will the cost to operate. 

4 hours ago, Bigbones87 said:

Depends of how much a n00b you are when it comes to getting a server, which i was and probably still am >.<

When i moved PlayStationHaX to a VPS, i went with BlueHost, where i tried it for 1 month at $36, then  they seemed ok, so i went for 3 months at $206 and a couple of weeks later i bought another 3 months at $206, finally going for a full year at $700+:

wBBb2nD.png

I moved to the new hosts and i am currently paying 80 Euro per month for a better service, back when i started the pound to euro was so much better, i didn't have to pay the same amount as i do now, 80 euro used to be around £52, now 80 euro is about £64, i blame Brexit on that price increase :( 

On top of that there is a yearly cost for domains and then there is the charge for the forum software, which cost about $300 to buy, then costs $50 every 6 months to renew a license, then there are other things that give your server extra security.

So it depends on how well you know your stuff i guess >.<

:tw_scream:

sweet baby jeebus! 

That is unreal to me. I solute you for going this long without ad revenue. Do you what you got to do man. You shouldn't put yourself in a financial bind just so we don't have a flashing "grow your penis" ad at the top! ;)

W....W....Wow... That was a lot more than I expected.

But yeah, licencing software etc isnt cheap, I've come to realize that ever since I got into game dev(Of course, its not the same thing, but still deals with licences etc)...

And as you say, "the more you suck, the more it costs". If you have the necessary skills and a good personal server you can bring the cost down to the electrical bill, internet connection and domain cost. Its the same in game dev., if you have all the deep skills needed, no employees etc, you can make a AAA-game for free if you really wanted to.