People Say Nintendo Are Running Out Of Ideas..

TheZander

• Super Moderator

How can that be true if they are releasing a mini nes though? http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/14/nintendo-announces-new-nes-console?abthid=57878e98ad1393df4600000b

My favorite part is that it only uses Wii ports for controllers, and the official controller for it uses the same port as well. Not any of that stupid usb stuff. 

I feel bad for Raspberry Pi though, I think their sales will plummet now. I mean this thing looks just like an NES! Just smaller. Now we just got to wait till November 11th. 

REMEMBER FOR THE FUTURE

Don't update it! Hopefully someone will hack this thing wide open. I heard they may have been dumping roms already for it 4 months in advanced. We'll see.

also buy spare 72 pin connectors in advance i'm sure the price for those skyrocket.

i'm sure @cfwprophet you'll be pleasantly surprised by this, I know this is the type of thing you said nintendo need's to start doing in order to be considered serious again.

Edit

Kotaku has spoken with Nintendo and confirmed some details about the little device. here is a quote from their website:

Will the mini-NES be able to connect to the internet?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The game lineup was chosen to provide a diverse mix of popular and recognizable NES games that appeal to a wide variety of players. Everyone should be able to find multiple games to enjoy.

On the same note: does Nintendo plan to sell other NES games for the mini-NES beyond the 30 it comes preloaded with?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The 30 games included with the system were chosen to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences.

Are there plans for other mini-consoles, like a mini-SNES or mini-N64?

We have nothing to announce at this time.

Just because people have been asking: safe to say it can’t play old cartridges, right? (Based on the image it looks like an NES cartridge would have around the same width as the entire console.) Does it open up at all?

The console does not use physical media and therefore the Chamber Lid does not open.

The games the device will have are as follows:

• Balloon Fight™
  • BUBBLE BOBBLE
  • Castlevania™
  • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
  • Donkey Kong™
  • Donkey Kong Jr. ™
  • DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
  • Dr. Mario™
  • Excitebike™
  • FINAL FANTASY®
  • Galaga™
  • GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
  • GRADIUS™
  • Ice Climber™
  • Kid Icarus™
  • Kirby’s Adventure™
  • Mario Bros. ™
  • MEGA MAN® 2
  • Metroid™
  • NINJA GAIDEN
  • PAC-MAN™
  • Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics™
  • SUPER C™
  • Super Mario Bros.™
  • Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
  • Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
  • TECMO BOWL
  • The Legend of Zelda™
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™
  • Upvote 1

Don't be a jerk be cool! Join Switch Club today!

ehm... feel bad for Pi? Why? That N* piece of overpriced shit only play NES games - and only 30 out of the 800! Its crap.

A Pi Zero(~5usd) can play all sorts of emu's and an unlimited amount of ROMs, the controller is easy to build as well. The original NES controller is just a shift register(~0.2eur) and a few switches.

If I had access to a 3D printer, I could probably build that shit for less than 20eur, which would be capable of so much more than just 30 NES games.

872daeaf9d5ccbb7d98bb4fef4246f6e9da5ddcf

36 minutes ago, Lucif3r said:

ehm... feel bad for Pi? Why? That N* piece of overpriced shit only play NES games - and only 30 out of the 800! Its crap.

A Pi Zero(~5usd) can play all sorts of emu's and an unlimited amount of ROMs, the controller is easy to build as well. The original NES controller is just a shift register(~0.2eur) and a few switches.

If I had access to a 3D printer, I could probably build that shit for less than 20eur, which would be capable of so much more than just 30 NES games.

w/ 30 included games!

It says included, it doesn't specify if you can put more games on it

• Super Moderator

I wrote an article on what I think about it on my website. I just don't like this mini NES, it seems to limited and could only serve as a collectors item (kinda).

• GregoryRasputin
1 minute ago, ConsoleHax said:

I wrote an article on what I think about it on my website. I just don't like this mini NES, it seems to limited and could only serve as a collectors item (kinda).

You can include the link in your post :P

• Upvote 1

• Super Moderator

I was rather insincere with the topic, but this is the way I look at it. Lets say that there are people familiar with emulation and people who are not. Those who are not could have a Wii or a WiiU that has plenty of Virtual Console games offered. Then this whole concept of a stand alone mini console with built in games has been around for years. Then the people who are familiar with emulation with the advent of Raspberry Pi and other mini computers have used those as there own mini console thing, even made NES cases for it with USB controllers. I do not see there being a demand for these things at all, Nintendo is way to late on this. Then regardless of the amount of games it comes with, (which I certainly hope you can increase) 60 bucks is a little too much for this thing I think. It's just a novelty product, there's not much to it, a stocking stuffer at best. 

• Upvote 1

• Super Moderator
50 minutes ago, thezander said:

I was rather insincere with the topic, but this is the way I look at it. Lets say that there are people familiar with emulation and people who are not. Those who are not could have a Wii or a WiiU that has plenty of Virtual Console games offered. Then this whole concept of a stand alone mini console with built in games has been around for years. Then the people who are familiar with emulation with the advent of Raspberry Pi and other mini computers have used those as there own mini console thing, even made NES cases for it with USB controllers. I do not see there being a demand for these things at all, Nintendo is way to late on this. Then regardless of the amount of games it comes with, (which I certainly hope you can increase) 60 bucks is a little too much for this thing I think. It's just a novelty product, there's not much to it, a stocking stuffer at best. 

True. That's how I see it. Couple of months ago I saw the official Sega Mega Drive and Atari reboots in my local game store. Went there this week, and I swear they still had the same boxes on that shelf. Nintendo must be hoping on people buying the mini NES as a collectors item, but I can't see this console being very popular for regular gamers, not even for those who don't know what emulators are. I still wonder why Nintendo hasn't stepped up to mobile platforms, a lot of people who aren't familiar with emulators could really want to buy an emulator with prebuild roms.

Edited by ConsoleHax

cool news, i wonder if they saw the sega thing in argos and decided to copy.

oooo gradius is on it,i was shit at it but i loved it.

• GregoryRasputin

Added some info to your original post @thezander for the front page, hope you don't mind.

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, GregoryRasputin said:

Added some info to your original post @thezander for the front page, hope you don't mind.

Should I spoiler / delete the nonsense. Give it a more appropriate title as well. 

1 hour ago, thezander said:

Should I spoiler / delete the nonsense.

We'd have to spoiler/delete the entire forum then :cool0044:

• Upvote 1

872daeaf9d5ccbb7d98bb4fef4246f6e9da5ddcf

• GregoryRasputin
1 hour ago, thezander said:

Should I spoiler / delete the nonsense. Give it a more appropriate title as well. 

lol no, your post is perfect and the title is too, if everything was changed or deleted it would no longer be your post, it would no longer have your touch and personality to it.

I only added info too it so other's could see it better than in being stuck five or six posts down.

Thank You for posting it :)

• Upvote 2