Welcome to PlayStationHaX

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• GregoryRasputin

Say Hello, Make An Introduction Thread :)   11/20/2015

We love having new members join the forum, what we like more is them being productive people and contributing a little bit to the forum. So if you are a new member, let us know who you are by saying hi in an introduction thread, you can find the forum section here: https://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/15-member-introduction/
Lucif3r

Need some design inspiration for my game

Well, heres an odd question...

As some may know(mainly the people on IRC), Im currently making my own game(mostly for shits and giggles and "education"). Its been going fairly well, however Im completely out of ideas as to how to design a town.

So, Im looking for ideas and inspiration for this town.

The setting in the game is classic "jrpg" fantasy, with anime-like graphic, and is of course in full blown 3D. The town will be decently sized, serving as the first major town you encounter. The houses and buildings will not be enterable, except for a few specific ones. So the houses/buildings are mostly for "decoration" so to speak. 

The area on which the town will be built is between the small stone wall and the mountains, as illustrated. The beach isnt quite as big as the image says, as I have disabled the water.

fw7oxv.jpg

The landscape/ground can be adjusted to better suit a town. As far as scale goes, its hard to see on this particular image, but below the red dot, theres a tiny character. So, the available area for this town is quite big :) 

For reference, heres a couple of other images to somewhat show the style Im going for:

This is your "home", the buildings are of asian type, with a classic dojo. (the floating well is obviously just a placeholder lol)

2whpdh4.jpg

And heres one of a forest area.

2d7bhjc.jpg

And finally heres the flower-field right next to the area where the town will be built. You can also somewhat see the scale here.

9kma9i.jpg

Im thinking the kind of visual style of the buildings would be similar to this; c6856222bd74805094f9b4b32760cfeb.jpg

But yeah, layout, design of the buildings, type of buildings, decorations, type of ground(grass? dirt? pavement? stones? mix?)... I have no idea..... Ive also thought about a harbor, since the town will be right next to the ocean... But again, I have no idea how I would make that layout.

I want the town to be uniformed, so no random deviations from the overall design, there shouldnt be anything that obviously looks out of place(for example, a sci-fi-styled building in the middle of the otherwise "old-school" style, or a stone building among wooden buildings etc). But of course, I dont want each and every building looking the same either, cause thats just cheap! :P  

Any ideas are welcome(except "give up" hehe), since as I said Im completely blank out of ideas...

40 answers to this question

There, basic ladybug done :P 

9lilqc.jpg

i4ibna.jpg

Textures needs work, I know. I suck at making textures...

where's the glaring weak spot? will it spit fire as an attack or just slam on the ground. 

Since its a starting area mob, it will just have a couple of basic skills...

17 hours ago, Lucif3r said:

There, basic ladybug done :P 

9lilqc.jpg

i4ibna.jpg

Textures needs work, I know. I suck at making textures...

lol them feels when you're just joking and this happens XD it looks pretty good tbh what about a red and a yellow/orange one? perhaps the orange one can be a stronger one that spawns less in area but is for players who advance a bit more at earlier stage... 

maybe giant bees too? with big flours that they get nectar from.... and maybe the nectar can be an item that players can acquire and if they try take it from a flower a bee attacks them?

Hey, even jokes can be good ideas ;)  Besides, a ladybug wasnt exactly far fetched, unlike Greg's constant nagging of a "penis monster", or Ada's nagging about a tentacle monster >_> God damn pervs lol

I've already thought of different color schemes actually. Its quite easy to do. Theres apparently a type of bug that looks almost identical to a ladybug, but is black with red spots instead of red with black spots. I will most likely do at least that color. :) 

Bees(or wasps, they are more aggressive :P) isnt a bad idea either. I might consider that for some other area("forest of giants"? where everything is oversized lol.. idk...).

No fire spitting :) I did think of a poison cloud though, but I think I'll leave that out for the beginning bugs at least, maybe in later areas.

On 12/9/2016 at 1:21 AM, Lucif3r said:

Hey, even jokes can be good ideas ;)  Besides, a ladybug wasnt exactly far fetched, unlike Greg's constant nagging of a "penis monster", or Ada's nagging about a tentacle monster >_> God damn pervs lol

I've already thought of different color schemes actually. Its quite easy to do. Theres apparently a type of bug that looks almost identical to a ladybug, but is black with red spots instead of red with black spots. I will most likely do at least that color. :) 

Bees(or wasps, they are more aggressive :P) isnt a bad idea either. I might consider that for some other area("forest of giants"? where everything is oversized lol.. idk...).

yeah sounds good :) i'm pretty good at making shit up on the spot when i comes down to it every now and again. let us know if you need anymore ideas. you can always have a troll under a mossy bridge into your forrest area. would be pretty cool too. not gonna lie i always wanted to make my own game or help make one haha

On 12/9/2016 at 9:16 AM, Lucif3r said:

No fire spitting :) I did think of a poison cloud though, but I think I'll leave that out for the beginning bugs at least, maybe in later areas.

make it have like a gust power when it flaps it's giant wings :)

Introducing Bun-Bun - fearsome protector of the forest!............... or something

This fluffy little fella may look harmless, but should you ever intrude on its territory you better be prepared to fight for your life.

2zsn02t.jpg

As usual I haven't bothered with lights or materials in 3ds max, so it'll look better once ingame........ i hope lol.

I came up with this abomination all by myself :P 

On 12/29/2016 at 7:30 AM, Lucif3r said:

Introducing Bun-Bun - fearsome protector of the forest!............... or something

This fluffy little fella may look harmless, but should you ever intrude on its territory you better be prepared to fight for your life.

2zsn02t.jpg

As usual I haven't bothered with lights or materials in 3ds max, so it'll look better once ingame........ i hope lol.

I came up with this abomination all by myself :P 

lol it's head looks flat af XD but yeah it will suit the game's theme. nice man i like bun bun. what's next?

the head is flat, just the eyes poking out and a few details around the eyes. The ears also have proper depth and shape, but its not really visible on the picture :) But yes, it is flat, and its intended to be like that. Its more of a "mask" than a head, a wooden mask, thats the kind of style I went for.

The original idea was to make the face similar to an owl(they are mostly flat as well), and the entire thing was supposed to be "fluffy". But as I played around with it a bit I realized that amking it "fluffy" would require a shit-ton of polys, so I played around a bit and bam, the bun-bun abomination was born :D 

Whats next.... I dont know, I think Im gonna focus on effects for various attacks. Ive noticed a theme across 3rd person games in general - the animations are quite sluggish, but its well hidden due to spell effects etc. Nothing your average player will ever see or realize.

What I've tried to do so far is making the animations as 'real' as possible, e.g. trying to prevent weapons from clipping through fingers etc, but I've come to the realization that thats just a waste of time, and I should instead focus on making the attacks look cool in general. No one will give a shit if the sword clips through a finger or 2 during an attack, or the blade briefly clipping through the head during a transition. :P 

14 hours ago, Lucif3r said:

Whats next.... I dont know, I think Im gonna focus on effects for various attacks. Ive noticed a theme across 3rd person games in general - the animations are quite sluggish, but its well hidden due to spell effects etc. Nothing your average player will ever see or realize.

What I've tried to do so far is making the animations as 'real' as possible, e.g. trying to prevent weapons from clipping through fingers etc, but I've come to the realization that thats just a waste of time, and I should instead focus on making the attacks look cool in general. No one will give a shit if the sword clips through a finger or 2 during an attack, or the blade briefly clipping through the head during a transition. :P 

yeah that's true man. keep at it, it's looking good and the works gonna pay off. what sort of weapons are they using?

So far I got your classical sword-user*. Then I have a not-so-classic chakram user, and the 3rd one Im working on will use a not-so-classic scythe.

Other weapons that may or may not be used include claws, bows, staff/spear, daggers, dual-wielder(sword or daggers or something), wands, axes, hammers, 2h sword, shurikens and whatever else I might think of. In other words, it could be anything lol :D 

*oh, right, I never showed the sword in question here, just on irc.. So, here you go;

2euk68h.jpg

screenshot taken directly in the editor, so no post-processing effects are in place etc.

17 hours ago, Lucif3r said:

So far I got your classical sword-user*. Then I have a not-so-classic chakram user, and the 3rd one Im working on will use a not-so-classic scythe.

Other weapons that may or may not be used include claws, bows, staff/spear, daggers, dual-wielder(sword or daggers or something), wands, axes, hammers, 2h sword, shurikens and whatever else I might think of. In other words, it could be anything lol :D 

*oh, right, I never showed the sword in question here, just on irc.. So, here you go;

2euk68h.jpg

screenshot taken directly in the editor, so no post-processing effects are in place etc.

sword looks cool. shuriken would look hectic too