• Announcements

• GregoryRasputin

Say Hello, Make An Introduction Thread :)   11/20/2015

We love having new members join the forum, what we like more is them being productive people and contributing a little bit to the forum. So if you are a new member, let us know who you are by saying hi in an introduction thread, you can find the forum section here: https://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/15-member-introduction/
zapptheman

Few Questions on CFW on 3DS

zapptheman    166

Hi guys, just a question to all the Nintendo guys on this forum. i have been doing a bit of research into the CFW for the 3ds and it seems that i have a console which can be exploited with little effort as it doesn't need to be downgraded and is sitting in the prime firmware range for CFW

so i had been following this tutorial here --> https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3ztqqv/all_you_need_to_know_by_popular_demand/

and i have come up with a few questions which i am still uncertain about.

Question:

- In the thread the bloke says the most supported firmware is 9.2.0-20, so i am currently on 9.0.0-20. would i still be able to follow this tutorial exactly for my firmware version?

- After i have the cfw working correctly on my current firmware version, will i be able to update the system and keep the cfw running on top of the new firmware? 

- If i will be able to update, is there a specific way it has to be done to keep the CFW?

Thanks guys for any help. i appreciate it

Edit: As i have a new3ds i will be using ReiNAND + NTR CFW

Edited by zapptheman

zapptheman    166
1 minute ago, tjhooker73 said:

Yes

haha thanks for that. do you know how to update the system to the latest firmware while keeping the cfw? cheers

thezander    485
11 minutes ago, zapptheman said:

haha thanks for that. do you know how to update the system to the latest firmware while keeping the cfw? cheers

I think you update the CFW (emuNAND) not the sysNAND. So your verison will have some identifier i.e: 'GW' , 'RX' etc. depending on your CFW of choice. 

Just read up beforehand if nintendo screwed it over. If so and you update you'll black screen. So wait for some confirmed results and then update the launcher.dat on the SD card

zapptheman    166
1 minute ago, thezander said:

I think you update the CFW (emuNAND) not the sysNAND. So your verison will have some identifier i.e: 'GW' , 'RX' etc. depending on your CFW of choice. 

Just read up beforehand if nintendo screwed it over. If so and you update you'll black screen. So wait for some confirmed results and then update the launcher.dat on the SD card

how would i know which one i'm updating tho? from what i gathered, it's like booting into two different systems. so doe that mean that as long as i'm booted into emunand, it will update the emunand, and if i'm booted in the sysnand it will update the sysnand? 

and when doing this update from the emunand, do i just use the update that the console asks me to download when booted up, or do i have to use the sysupdater tool

thezander    485

Depending on the CFW you have and the boot sequence it entails like any MSET exploit ( which I dont know if it works for >9) but once you're booted in and you goto to system settings if it says just the version number you're in sysNAND. If it has some kind of identifier before hand than you're in emuNAND and you can update from there. However  if you leave the settings menu you'll get thrown back into sysNAND so it will screw you up. As long as you make sure it has something before the version you're safe. 

M tha MaN    84

Only update via settings!

When entering the settings you'll see what thezander mentioned. E.g. you have rx-tools as an CFW, youl see RX-E 9.2.0 when you're in emunand. When you update now, you'll update just the emunand.

When you enter setting in sysnand, you'll just see 9.2.0.

zapptheman    166
3 minutes ago, thezander said:

Depending on the CFW you have and the boot sequence it entails like any MSET exploit ( which I dont know if it works for >9) but once you're booted in and you goto to system settings if it says just the version number you're in sysNAND. If it has some kind of identifier before hand than you're in emuNAND and you can update from there. However  if you leave the settings menu you'll get thrown back into sysNAND so it will screw you up. As long as you make sure it has something before the version you're safe. 

2 minutes ago, M tha MaN said:

Only update via settings!

When entering the settings you'll see what thezander mentioned. E.g. you have rx-tools as an CFW, youl see RX-E 9.2.0 when you're in emunand. When you update now, you'll update just the emunand.

When you enter setting in sysnand, you'll just see 9.2.0.

alright sweet, thanks guys, i guess i should have also mentioned that i have the new3ds so i'll be using ReiNAND + NTR CFW gonna go ahead with the process now. appreaciate all the help :)

• Upvote 1

zapptheman    166

Update: alright guys, just going through setting up emunand now and noticed that emunand9 wouldn't boot from menuhax 0_o but for some reason it works with browserhax. so used that entry point and it's working and backing up my sysnand now. 

Update2: ok so i just did step 0 to prepare the emunand and then started step 1 before unlinking the nands. and i got these screens. i tihiink i will go back and unlink now that i haven't bricked yet XDPL0U1CT.jpg6cH3Ljs.jpg

Edited by zapptheman

tjhooker73    166

Just follow the tutorials and it will be fine. 

Yes. ?

zapptheman    166
3 hours ago, tjhooker73 said:

Just follow the tutorials and it will be fine. 

Yes. ?

haha yeah it was, cheers man. just setting up the final touches. i was going to update the emunand now but just read somewhere that the new version might break the cfw. is this true? i'll keep looking in the meantime

Edit: i have come short with info. damn the ds scene is a pain to look through XD might just give it an update and hope for the best

Final update: ok so to anyone out there able to lend a hand, i got up to the last part of the procedure where i was updating the system. it errored out during the install and shut down. thankfully it didn't break any of the nands and nothing bricked. but i don't know what to do from here now. should i try again with the update or am i missing something

nvm, it worked. thanks guys

Edited by zapptheman