GregoryRasputin

New Xbox And Other Rumours

It is no secret that Sony are releasing a more powerful PS4, it seems Microsoft are doing the same, these rumours which suggest that the console codenamed 'Scorpio' will be twice as powerful as the PS4 Neo and come with a 2TB HDD, of course these are just rumours and mean nothing until Microsoft confirm them, which perhaps they will do at E3 this year, to read more about the new Xbox One model, check this link

TnSvFxe.jpg

Rumours from NeoGaf state that a smaller Xbox One is in the works and that there will be several streaming devices that one could perhaps use to stream Xbox One games too:

1. "Xbox Mini is Real"

2. Chromecast style "Super-Streamer" Xbox. (~$99)

3. Second Xbox streaming device (~$150 -> ~$175): a bit bigger than the chromecast-like device but "not an Xbox One crammed into a tiny box". This is more of a replacement for those who would buy 360 as a media box in 2015. He thinks this device will leverage the Windows Store to play "lightweight" games. Things like Hitman: Go rather than Rise of the Tomb Raider.

4. Details get fuzzy at this point for Brad. Does not think MS will go for 4K gaming yet. Thinks the next system will be more of an iterative step.

5. Xbox becoming a platform. MS playing around with bringing the Xbox interface to PC (Redstone 2 related). Think Media Center for games. Speculation: "think further down the road - what if Xbox becomes software?"

6. Microsoft focused on "extensible" systems. It's the "magic" word in Microsoft right now.

7. Brad thinks MS will do something "Big" for the next Xbox in 2017. Thinks the Eurogamer article is "onto something" but thinks they have their wires crossed in some respects. MS doing "crazy" stuff. VR may play a part.

8. MS knows gaming is the "bread-and-butter" for Xbox and will show that at E3 but still want to "attack the living-room" and appeal to cord-cutters. Xbox One is currently too expensive/big for that audience.

9. Updated controller that will look mostly the same. Minor revision.

10. PC gaming big for Microsoft and E3 will reflect that. Look to see MS continue to try and bring Xbox and PC together.

11. Thinks we could see a upgrade (minor) to the current Xbox One but is fuzzy on that.

You can check the link here

Question is... Why would you buy an xbox when everything is making its way to the PC anyway? PC's are upgradable and you're free to chose what "level" of PC you want. If you buy a console youre stuck with that until a new one is released. That is fine for exclusives, but there wont be any exclusives for the xbox so..................

1 hour ago, Lucif3r said:

Question is... Why would you buy an xbox when everything is making its way to the PC anyway? PC's are upgradable and you're free to chose what "level" of PC you want. If you buy a console youre stuck with that until a new one is released. That is fine for exclusives, but there wont be any exclusives for the xbox so..................

People who still do not acknowledge PC gaming and probably won't for the forthcoming years will still buy consoles. I don't know about the slightest advanced model. 

There was a day when gaming was piss simple, stick in the game, load it, play, the hardest process was beating some final boss, but it was a simple and quick process.

Now you have consoles that require software updates, ones where you have to install it, or you don't get to use the online services and in a lot of cases play the games you bought digitally that require the damn internet to verify of you bought them, and whilst you are sitting there waiting for your update to install, you are hoping something doesn't fuck up and brick the console.

Then we have the requirement to install the fucking game to the consoles harddrive, that is great, but the fact you HAVE to do it and the fact it seems to take FOREVER is fucking annoying.

Then you have the console makers doing dick things and removing features from your console.

I could go on and on, but i think i am trying to say that it seems that PC gaming is getting simpler and Console gaming is getting more stressful. 

I get what you're saying, I also despise waiting for updates. I typically play campaign centric games, and waiting for updates for that sucks. I don't really play PC games because it consist of using one computer. The computer has to powerful, but no so much portable. Where as the Wii, xbox, ps4 you can just plug it into a tv. The Wii especially because of the game display on the pad. Now this relates to me because I can play video games at the various jobs I work, where I couldn't hijack the monitor and connect it with a PC. 

For the gamers who play in their off time I can see how PC gaming would be totally the way to go. After work go home and play till you want to sleep. That's fine. Then you got the another class of gamers that just get really stupid into hype, new xbox, or ps4, whatever their blind allegiance sends them and they could care less about PC gaming, to them that's just a facebook machine. I don't see consoles dying out despite more or less being irrelevant as time goes on. To this day any PC could act as the power house function of a console and they could just make different controllers. 

I miss the days when consoles were consoles, back when the only thing you had to worry about was blowing the cartridges :-/ You never had to worry about it suddenly overheating, you didnt need to turn the volume to max and get evicted just so you'd be able to hear anything but the loud console...

The benefit of consoles, as stated above, was the simplicity of them, just put the game in and it would just work(except when you needed to blow the carts, obviously :P), you never had to worry about the "pain" of PC gaming, installing shit etc etc... But now you have at least the same amount of headache, if not more, with consoles as with a PC.

So, based on that, the PC has another big advantage - when something breaks, YOU can fix it, unlike consoles that have to be sent 3 laps around the world to be "fixed".

And yeah, all the "old myths" about PC gaming being complicated isnt true anymore. We've come to that stage that you can be fairly sure the game you've bought will simply work, unlike back in the 90's where it was a big gamble if it would work or not.

Today's PC's doesnt even use much power. Most serious gaming rigs these days tops out at ~400W when the GFX card is pushed to its limit, and usually idles(browsing the web etc) below 100W. How much do consoles consume these days? Oh yeah, half a nuclear plant.....

Another old myth is that PC's are noisy and take up a lot of space... That isnt the case either these days. You can build a near silent PC(a lot more silent than todays consoles) with air cooling no problem.

Size isnt an issue either, with the advancements of mini-ITX boards and CPU's running cooler you can build a damn good gaming PC in the size of half a PS4(Im talking I7, 980TI/1080, M.2 and SSD, 32GB RAM etc here... Serious shit) with a noise level around the same as a Wii(not wiiu, that thing is loud as fuck).

The tradeoff here is of course limited space. You cant use a big-ass cooler for the CPU, most ITX boards only have 2 DIMM-slots instead of 4 and only 1 PCI-E 16x lane instead of up to 7 slots, and if youre going for a really small size, you usually cant use 3.5" HDDs either.

Im thinking of actually building such a small/quiet PC for my mom :P 

@thezander you should read the above^, you seem to be one of many who's stuck with old PC myths :) 

Oh, forgot to mention.... the TV/monitor argument is obviously not true either these days, as every single gfx card have HDMI, either native or with adapter(DVI or DP).

Edited by Lucif3r

I wasn't sure how to expand on the portability issue without the post becoming too incomprehensible.

But if I have a gaming pc, which to me is a PC with games installed on it already. I can't bring that around with me and use it. Because I play most my video games at work. Which I realize not a lot of people do. But there are work designated stations in which i couldn't hi-jack the monitor to play video games because I don't have the work software installed. That needs certificates and crap. 

I'm a different gamer now than when I was younger. Today I get a game, beat it, and forget it. Back then I would consistently play a game everyday and unlock crap and care about achievements and other stupid stuff.

There is where I start to ramble, but my point is PC's have more chance of getting screwed up. Viruses, malware, etc. No big deal, just refo it. However if you have a game you're invested in, makes it a inconvenience. I think this still could relate to general public. Although I am sure there are ways to back things up, like gamesaves ( I mean I am positive there is ) and all achievements are associated with some gamer account thing. When your computer gets screwed up you have to wipe it and start over which just kind of sucks. 

I dont get it... You can carry a big-ass noisy console with you, but you cant bring a smaller, less noisy PC? That. Makes. No. Sense.

4 hours ago, Lucif3r said:

I dont get it... You can carry a big-ass noisy console with you, but you cant bring a smaller, less noisy PC? That. Makes. No. Sense.

It's not about the noise or size. 

1 hour ago, thezander said:

It's not about the noise or size. 

Then what is it about..? Im genuinely curious here... Something doesnt add up... You can have a PC thats faster, more powerful, smaller and less noisy than a current-gen console, the pc can be plugged into the same monitor/TV as a console(or heck, you can even use your mobile/tablet as a monitor for the pc), the PC can use controllers just like the consoles... so... What am I missing? O.o

27 minutes ago, Lucif3r said:

Then what is it about..? Im genuinely curious here... Something doesnt add up... You can have a PC thats faster, more powerful, smaller and less noisy than a current-gen console, the pc can be plugged into the same monitor/TV as a console(or heck, you can even use your mobile/tablet as a monitor for the pc), the PC can use controllers just like the consoles... so... What am I missing? O.o

Spoiler

Well I can't put it generally because there would be an alternative point towards everything and I don't have any good rebuttals cooked up at the moment. ( except for console exclusives but that's cheating)

Personally though, I don't want to remove my computer from my home office, I also have work designated computers that I wouldn't be able to replace with my own. I could connect it to the TV like I would a console. However to start up a game I would have to screw around with windows. With the WiiU when I was playing Smash or Kart or any other game that could be used entirely with the gamepad that was like ideal. 

That's just me, general public though I would say if game exclusives didn't matter I would not anticipate more and more PC users. When it comes to casual gamers, I mean there are people out there who find it convenient to have a designated video game console that they can pop a disc in and play ( with all the stupid updating). Those are people of habbit, Y2K, Madden, sports games. I mean I don't anymore (seriously) who plays sport games on the PC. I don't know if there exclusive because that would play a big part. Now it's tough for me to argue that it's complicated when I just agreed it wasn't... but I'll be a little hypocritical here. PS4, and PS3 controller emulator things could be a pain for some people. THose programs I think called Ds4 Toolkit or something have bluescreen crashed my crap computers several times. I don't want to out myself as a moron but you have to download special bluetooth programs from Toshiba that cost money, or you find a cracked version I suppose but I always reused trials. That bluestacks screwed up all my other bluetooth devices. All I am saying is that there are some aspects that can be more complicated to some people when gaming on PC vs console. Not a lot, like you said it's an old myth, but the people I know in real life would have no idea about this stuff. 

I hope no one thinks I'm intentionally pushing buttons or instigating, I get the virtues of PC vs Console. I was just replying to the question:

Question is... Why would you buy an xbox when everything is making its way to the PC anyway? PC's are upgradable and you're free to chose what "level" of PC you want. If you buy a console youre stuck with that until a new one is released.

Because I think there are a lot of habitual people out there who prefer to separate their things. I can still see people buying a new xbox every 4 years instead of sticking to an up-gradable PC. Which I guess is all I should of said, instead out all that other stuff. I'm going to spoiler tag all that top crap because it doesn't really pertain or make sense. I just think console gaming will stick around for awhile longer that's pretty much it. 

Dont worry, youre not pushing any buttons, at least not as far as Im concerned :) (and I hope Im not pushing yours? Cause thats not my intention at all).

I find it interesting to read and discuss other people's perspective on things. Its very easy to get "snowed in" on your own views and opinions otherwise.

It is true theres a few more clicks on a PC compared to a front-end solely meant for gaming like a console. However as always there are solutions. You could for example set up steam to start in theater-mode, which would act similar to a console front-end.

Its also true a PC have more things that may cause issues if youre not careful(viruses, broken drivers and shit).  Thats quite natural though considering how big of a platform PC is in general, both by users and... "less friendly" people... Luckily there are anti-virus and firewall software that prevent most - but not all - viruses etc. But yeah, you still need to be careful with what you download etc.

As far as bluestacks goes, thats not needed for the DS3 at least. You can use XInput(360 drivers) with a DS3 plug-in. I dont own a DS4 so I cant say if it also works with that. But Sony have their own DS4 drivers dont they? Or is it locked down to the remote play program? Idk...

I agree that bluestacks is shit, really shit. There are a lot of crap software and solutions on the PC platform, and can sometimes be a headache to find something that works properly.

It seems to me that the main issue lies with the initial setup of a PC, adjusting it to be "user friendly" on a GUI-level like a console, setting up the drivers for the gamepad and adding simple gamepad navigation within windows itself. But I dare say that once its setup, it would be awesome :) Especially if you build a mini-ITX one(or even mATX, which is slightly bigger but still small)

For me and a lot of other people, thats more or less the easiest thing in the world, but Im well aware theres at least an equal amount of people who would find it the hardest thing in the world. I've worked in a support-desk before so... The amount of "stupid" questions you receive is astonishing, and literally sucks the will to live right out of you. Scarred for life lol.

Personally I think we're gonna see more and more "console-like" PC's in the somewhat near future, small form-factor PC's with a lot of power under the hood(and upgradable!), pre-setup with a "console gui" and all that. Question is if they can manage to appeal to the average console users. We've had attempts in the past(and still do ofc), and pretty much every single one has ended in disappointment.(Ouya...) SteamOS is one example, its a nice OS and perfect for gamepad navigation and all that(its basically steam in theater-mode). The problem with that is that its linux-based, which unfortunately still cripples game compatibility(even though its a million times better since the days I used linux, back in early 00's).

However, that will probably change quite fast, with M$ bringing the xbox interface to windows10 and all that. That makes me guess that M$ will be one of the first to bring out a proper "console PC", probably "next gen" when they drop the xbone completely. Although being M$, it will probably cost way too much, just like their surface-tablet-pc-thingys.

Theres no secret consoles are slowly dying, especially in this time and age where they get outdated extremely fast(hence we're now seeing "upgraded" models of both the PS4 and Xbone). Although in this scenario, handhelds are a lot more threatened than home consoles, with the advancements of mobile gaming and the insane speed on which they get faster and faster hardware-wise. Although handheld gaming is pretty much exclusive to N* now. I doubt Phony will make another handheld, considering how little of a shit they gave the Vita. M$ wont make a handheld, Im 99% sure of that. And even N* have just started to sneak into the mobile gaming market.

Obviously, I see the appeal for the console market. But for me its always been about the exclusives, and we're seeing less and less of them(at least sony/ms, N* is in a league of its own), instantly lowering the appeal for me... Why spend extra money on a locked down system, if I can just play the same games on my PC I already have? Often with better visuals etc.

I've only used bluestacks for wii controllers on dolphin I suppose, I just remembered how much I hated it. And DS4 only crashed my already totally screwed up frankenstien of a monster computer I was using.  The doubts I had could be subsided if this general person had a dedicated gaming PC that's totally customized with a frontend, and they didn't do much anything else with it. I think I came around on your way of thinking. 

Microsoft should just make the next xbox a full blown PC next time I guess it practically already is. Put it in a nice take apart case and have it compatible with non-proprietary hardware and then they're good. 

The button pushing comment I shouldn't of made, it didn't really fit.