Rautz

Mame build advice

Question

I want to build a dedicated mame pc this weekend as a birthday day gift for someone. Probably Tekken 3 will be the most limiting game in the list.

I'll be running bezels and(if I go the lakka route) will be hammering the shader support to get a more better feel/look.

Options for cpu are

Intel G4400

AMD 7600

AMD 7650K

Will I be fine with a intel g4400? I take it Id need a cheap gfx card to handle shaders.... Would 1 of the AMDs be a better all in one approach?

What os should I go for?

Even though I think it is awesome and I use it on another build I have, Lakka will be my last resort  as an OS. Is there any mame specific OS out there? I dont want to give the frontend/gui too much flash as I'd rather something that had a simple GUI with a screenshot of the highlighted title etc. I defintely dont want to use a Hyperspin setup for this build either.

3 answers to this question

As far as internal GFX goes, AMD/Radeon beats Intel by a mile. AMD is actually capable of playing some games at somewhat acceptable settings, while intel is still stuck at video decoding ....

I used a G3258 (not overclocked) with an old 1GB Radeon 6 series (6860 I think?)  and 8gb RAM in my bartop without issue.

I have Injustice, Mortal Kombat Komplete, SF IV (all PC versions) on there and they play fine.

All the usual emu's (Dreamcast, PSX, PS2, PSP, N64, Genesis, MasterSystem, SNES, Taito Type X, MAME 0.171)

No issues with any of them.

I haven't tried MKX or SFV on there yet though but I think it may struggle with those. Still, would like to give them a test.

OS is Win 7 with RetroFE as the front end.

Edited by JonahUK

If you just want it for Mame you could probably get away with using a Raspberry Pi

On 5/20/2016 at 5:29 AM, JonahUK said:

I used a G3258 (not overclocked) with an old 1GB Radeon 6 series (6860 I think?)  and 8gb RAM in my bartop without issue.

I have Injustice, Mortal Kombat Komplete, SF IV (all PC versions) on there and they play fine.

All the usual emu's (Dreamcast, PSX, PS2, PSP, N64, Genesis, MasterSystem, SNES, Taito Type X, MAME 0.171)

No issues with any of them.

I haven't tried MKX or SFV on there yet though but I think it may struggle with those. Still, would like to give them a test.

OS is Win 7 with RetroFE as the front end.

MKX is a waste of time. I can play everything at 1440p and MKX is a struggle to maintain 1080p/60 FPS on low and it is not my machine that is at fault. I had a similar build to what you have before I upgraded. I couldn't get MKX to run at 720p/60FPS with dual 6850 GPUs