BDJ Jar files possibly allowing unsandboxed java homebrew?

So recently ive been messing about with ftp and noticed that the Disc Video Player (Not Media Player, sorry guys was confused) to view movies and the sort has a few JAR files that involve BDJ inside and are very interesting when decompiled. They are running on a implemented version of java runtime which is also found as javajitcompiler.elf which appears to just run jar files such as the media player rather than implementing java into the media player itself. They aren't obfuscated in anyway and appear to not be running through any sandbox besides jvm of course (Don't quote me on this as I'm not sure how ps4 sandboxes such things) by the fact that they are importing system libraries. Its really interesting and for all I know could lead to some sort of homebrew that runs in the Disc Video Player considering it looks to be unsandboxed. If you want to check it out connect by ftp and head over to /system_ex/app/NPXS20113/bdjstack and you can decompile them with java decompiler (Or any decompiler of your choice).

Edited by MistyVermin

Going to edit some code, recompile and test it out, may have problems with dependencies. Ill report back if I can compile.

Update: Well compiling failed as there are dependencies so i'm not sure if there is much I can do. If anyone has anymore information on these dependencies and what can substitute them or where I can find them please let me know.
Also there is a debug inside of the bdjstack which looks pretty interesting but since I can't recompile right now there is no way for me to see exactly how it behaves and what it does.

.eJwFwcsNwyAMANBdGADzScFkgdyqroAAEaQkjrB

Update 2: Now I know we can't recompile these files as of yet but we can edit there properties which have some pretty strange and interesting things in them such as DVB HTML implementation which could be very useful for end users who want to run ps4 playground without having to use the user guide but sadly it seems to be unsupported, Now the thing is, is that DVB HTML could be fully functioning but was considered unsupported because of security reasons or because it may have been buggy, but the only way to find out is for somebody to test it.

For anybody interested here are the bdjstack properties. 

#
# This is the "master bd-j system properties file"
#
#file.separator=
#path.separator=
#line.separator=
dvb.returnchannel.timeout=60
dvb.persistent.root=/OS/ADA/
mhp.profile.enhanced_broadcast=YES
#mhp.profile.interactive_broadcast=NO
#mhp.profile.internet_access=NO
mhp.eb.version.major=1
mhp.eb.version.minor=0
mhp.eb.version.micro=3
mhp.ib.version.major=1
mhp.ib.version.minor=0
mhp.ib.version.micro=3
mhp.ia.version.major=1
mhp.ia.version.minor=0
mhp.ia.version.micro=3
mhp.option.ip.multicast=UNSUPPORTED
mhp.option.dsmcc.uu=UNSUPPORTED
mhp.option.dvb.html=UNSUPPORTED
havi.specification.vendor=HAVi
havi.specification.name=HAVi UI
havi.specification.version=1.1
havi.implementation.vendor=SONY
havi.implementation.name=org.havi.ui
havi.implementation.version=1.0
bluray.profile.1=YES
bluray.profile.2=NO
#bluray.profile.5=NO
bluray.p1.version.major=1
bluray.p1.version.minor=1
bluray.p1.version.micro=0
bluray.p2.version.major=1
bluray.p2.version.minor=0
bluray.p2.version.micro=0
bluray.p5.version.major=1
bluray.p5.version.minor=0
bluray.p5.version.micro=0
#bluray.vfs.root=.
#bluray.bindingunit.root=/OS/BUDA/
bluray.localstorage.level=1
bluray.localstorage.maxlevel=5
bluray.localstorage.removable=NO
bluray.localstorage.upgradable=NO
bluray.localstorage.name=unspecified
bluray.audiomixing.channels=8
bluray.rccapability.release=YES
bluray.rccapability.holdandrelease=YES
bluray.rccapability.repeatonhold=NO
aacs.bluray.online.capability=NO
aacs.bluray.mc.capability=NO
java.protocol.handler.pkgs=com.sony.protocol
ssl.SocketFactory.provider=com.sony.bdjstack.security.ssl.BDSSLSocketFactory
sony.hasDefaultPlayList=true
bluray.memory.images=64487424
bluray.memory.audio=6815744
bluray.memory.audio_plus_img=71303168
bluray.memory.java_heap=9437184
bluray.memory.font_cache=4194304
bluray.video.fullscreenSD=YES
bluray.video.fullscreenSDPG=YES
bluray.video.autoresume=YES
bluray.jmf.subtitlestyle=YES
sony.product.name=PS4

Edited by MistyVermin

Also btw could a mod move this to the ps4 technical section. It kind of doesn't fit in a help section. Thanks! :) 

• GregoryRasputin

Didn't realise that the Media Player used BDJ, you could always try the BDJ Homebrew in it, check this thread:

28 minutes ago, GregoryRasputin said:

Didn't realise that the Media Player used BDJ, you could always try the BDJ Homebrew in it, check this thread:

Crap haven't used the disc player in awhile and thought it was the media player sorry about the confusion. In the end it's still running outside of sandbox and I believe it can currently run any jar file you give it as long as it has no os dependencies so i believe we can do more than just BDJ homebrew but actual java homebrew. Although I believe any BDJ homebrew will run with no disc necessary which is pretty nice. Also thanks for moving my post.

Edited by MistyVermin

Alright so after taking a look through bdstack.jar I can see that DVB HTML was being tested and appears to have been worked on but never fully developed to a functional state which is unfortunate but doesn't really limit what this could accomplish.

Edited by MistyVermin
  • Upvote 1
On 5/7/2016 at 0:15 PM, MistyVermin said:

Alright so after taking a look through bdstack.jar I can see that DVB HTML was being tested and appears to have been worked on but never fully developed to a functional state which is unfortunate but doesn't really limit what this could accomplish.

IIRC (with PS3 at least), BD-J allows you to send JAR files to the HDD with no limit on how much space you can take up. I think you could run emulators from a Blu-Ray, have it create save files, wrap the save file in a JAR, and then store it on the HDD so you can have saved games. You might be able to store ROMs on the PS4 HDD as well if wrapped in a JAR file. The one big downfall I think is that there's no audio, and I'm not sure if it'd be possible to restore audio.

Not a scene dev, but just some thoughts.

Come visit the PS3 Homebrew Wiki!

• 1 month later...

pretty old im surprise no1 has done anything with it yet honestly

• Upvote 1

graphics-disco-267139.gif

• GregoryRasputin
11 hours ago, BANFREEDJ said:

pretty old im surprise no1 has done anything with it yet honestly

All the tools are there, was hoping people would get the ball rolling when @zecoxao originally started a thread about it here, more so when the BDJ SDK dev @FreePlay started posting, i think one of the main problems though, is that not everyone can be bothered or thing its worth playing homebrew from a Blu Ray disc with no sound.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, GregoryRasputin said:

All the tools are there, was hoping people would get the ball rolling when @zecoxao originally started a thread about it here, more so when the BDJ SDK dev @FreePlay started posting, i think one of the main problems though, is that not everyone can be bothered or thing its worth playing homebrew from a Blu Ray disc with no sound.

We dont need sound, we need homebrew, what do i mean by that? I mean if we can get homebrew to run on ps4 we need a way to fish out keys, crash, dump, get information off the ps4 through BD-J, we had ps3 cfw simply cause someone released the keys or someone fished them out.

the fact that we actually have a way to run homebrew use ftp, and use it as a fishing rod to get to the information we need to make are own updates is what we should be looking at. Forget actual homebrew we haven't made it yet.

NOTE* unrelated i added a skfu ps4fwtool 1.00 to the downloads, unpacks/packs  SLB2 format from ps4 pups

Edited by BANFREEDJ
  • Upvote 1

graphics-disco-267139.gif

On 6/27/2016 at 7:17 AM, GregoryRasputin said:

Well the thing is that this means more than just emulators and dumb little toys if its unsandboxed because looking through ftp, bdj is a wrapper written in java which means that we can literally replace the bdj jar file with any non os dependent jar and it will run completely unsandboxed from bjd. Now I haven't been on my ps4 in a while but i am pretty sure there is an elf or self that directly runs bdj jar. If I have been totally correct on this this could mean a whole new way for running homebrew that is much easier and way more reliable. Ill go check it out in more detail again soon.

Edited by MistyVermin