Should Scene Sites Charge For Hacking Consoles ?

Is It Right To Have A Paid Console Hacking Service On A Scene Site ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Right To Have A Paid Console Hacking Service On A Scene Site ?

• No, it is disgusting, scene sites are meant to help, not rip people off.
    • Yes, but only if the tools they use belong to them.
    • Yes they have every right.

• GregoryRasputin

Now my article will not be as awesome as @wololo's article that you can read here, it will be short and have the poll to accompany it.

Now if you wonder what the issue is, then i will explain...

Last week @BobbyBlunt brought to my attention that @Hackinformer had a service in which he was installing themes and the ability to play homebrew via ePSP for a fee, you can read more about it here.

These are the services that he charges for:

y0xK1og.png

Now why do i have a problem with this ?

1.)

Hackinformer runs a scene site, everything he gets for his website he gets for free, the information to write articles for free, the homebrew and applications to write about for free, so charging for what he gets for free is wrong, on top of that, as i said, he runs a scene site, scene sites have always been about helping people, posting tutorials and guides as well as giving help in threads where people are looking for help, they have never been about selling services and they never should be.

2.)

The whole way it is done is sleazy and disgusting, from this deceiving pinned tweet:

Hrbd4P8.png

To the fact once you click that link, you are greeted with a login screen that forces you to register in order to see the article and once you register, you assume you are going to get a guide or help on how to do everything that is said in the tweet, but no, you are greeted with a a thread explaining you must pay to get all this done, the deceiving and dishonesty i find more disgusting than the actual selling of a service.

3.)

Hackinformers service involves installing all this on a Vita with 3.60 firmware, so how is this method done ?, what is he doing and why is he not providing other the information on how to do it themselves ?, its obvious, he is keeping it all to himself in order to profit from the scene.

4.)

Hackinformer isn't some guy that does this for some spare cash at the weekend, he is someone who runs one of the biggest scene sites out there and as i said scene sites are there to help people, not get them to pay for the installation of homebrew.

Now i am sure i could say more on the subject, but there is no point, i have had enough hours wasted arguing about it and had personal information posted on Twitter over it.

For those interested, the personal information that was posted was my IP, now if some person from IRC did something like that, or one of the staff members form here did it, they would be cunts but it would be no big deal at the end of the day, as i put them in the position of seeing my IP..., but the person who posted my IP online @turkreno runs a company in which he sells server space for people to host their websites.

Now how did turkreno get such information and why did he post it ?

Whenever the server was hacked back at the beginning of this year, i asked turkreno for advice, he asked me to give him the servers details so he could look at the problem, this with my trusting nature did, he seen i had problems, then we talked about moving my website to his servers, which is what happened, but that's where everything started to go bad, he started disabling plugins on the WordPress sites, then he seen attacks happening on the server he had hosted my site on, so he got scared and put my websites back on the old host, but i thought, cool he managed to clean the shit up and he even installed a firewall for me, i was very thankful, but then i realised that the forum was fucked up, whatever he did, meant the entire software had to be reinstalled, then after a while i realised that the server was not clean from infection after all and i ended up finding and getting rid of two shells and a spam bot service embedded into a legit file, so that is the reason he had the information, now as to why.

Well after i sent Hackinformer a tweet, saying i disagreed with what he was doing, turkreno brought it upon himself to white knight  for Hackinformer and what i though started of as a simple discussion soon turned into an argument and after i called turkreno out for his shitty workmanship, he posted my IP, the IP he had gotten in confidence and private online, telling anyone who was following him to block my IP and the IP range, so he did it out of childish spite, which shows he and his web hosting is not to be trusted.

Something else to think about, if he held onto my IP for that long, perhaps he has also held onto the database, which means he is also in possession of all your IP's, email address's and passwords which makes him just as dangerous as someone who hacked the server and stole the database. 

• Upvote 7

I see no problem there...

I know the tools are all for free available but the work to do is not every time easy...and there are many people who dont know how to do it even if there are many tutorials out there...They just dont have time to do it or just no knowledge and fear to brick their devices....But if you want homebrew on your console and nobody can help you then this is a good idea to every one to enjoy this....in my eyes it is a help for people

• GregoryRasputin
16 minutes ago, mcmrc1 said:

I see no problem there...

I know the tools are all for free available but the work to do is not every time easy...and there are many people who dont know how to do it even if there are many tutorials out there...They just dont have time to do it or just no knowledge and fear to brick their devices....But if you want homebrew on your console and nobody can help you then this is a good idea to every one to enjoy this....in my eyes it is a help for people

So you are perfectly happy with them deceiving people into signing up for something they think is going to help them, only to be greeted with a paid service ?

You are also happy with people holding exploits back from the public in order for them to make money off them ?

Don't worry about your answer, i created this thread to understand where everyone stands on the situation and how they feel about it.

• Upvote 1

Another site that charges "NGU" i have nothing against ngu but 2009 was a section prem you pay £5 if i remember get access to certain stuff, now few years later Outsider decides to bring in Elite section where you pay £10 or year subscription removed prem access and charge to access certain stuff its disgusting everything is open source should be shared....

i've followed hackinformer due to cfwprophet spaming twitter with retweets i dont think people should charge for something thats already known or will be known in the future...

• Upvote 1
  • GregoryRasputin

I should have stipulated that people earning money off this have no right to vote @Freakler, because of course you are going to be as dishonest and biased as the thing we are talking about :)

thank you. you just successfully passed my test. goodbye

Edited by Freakler
  • GregoryRasputin
2 minutes ago, Freakler said:

thank you. you just successfully passed my test. goodbye

Is that the test that stops people getting into your sleazebag nest of dishonest people, i am glad i passed it, as i am straight and honest and i would rather be that way than scam people and deceive them.

• Upvote 1

Fuck all of them.

Xda is the best example how things should work. Put a fucking donate button on your site and profile if you are into money

@GregoryRasputini changed my password for the forum 2 or 3 months ago. Anything else we should do?

Edited by ocam
  • Upvote 4
  • GregoryRasputin
1 minute ago, ocam said:

@GregoryRasputini changed my password for the forum 2 or 3 months ago. Anything else we should do?

No, if you changed it back then you should be safe.

It depends on the service in question. I'm okay with paid PS3 downgrades as there are costs to cover (the flashing hardware, travel/shipping, replacement consoles if anything goes wrong etc) and messing with the actual hardware is scary to alot of people...but I'm not okay with this. You could argue they need to pay for their time...but if the method were public then their time wouldn't be being taken up by this. You also need to be transparent about it. If you're going to charge a fee the tell them up front...otherwise people are just going to feel like you've tried to scam them...whether you have or not.

• Upvote 1

"HENkaku was an inside job"

DTL-H1100 Debugging Station, KSM440BAM Laser Assembly

SCPH-1002 PlayStation, Old Crow Modchip

CECH-2503B PS3 Slim, Dual Boot OFW / 4.80.1 REBUG D-REX (Broken HDMI)

PCH-1004 PSVITA, 3.60 変革 Ensō, SD2Vita, 128GB

No, I do not agree with this particular.............. "service".......... Its not a hardware mod like for example downgrading a PS3 that both require special hardware AND hardware knowledge(especially for NAND's), this is just pure software anyone can do if they could be bothered to read more than 2 lines of text.

There are plenty of tools these days that makes it close to retard-proofed. Was a different matter at the start of the current exploits, like rejuvenate and the email-trick. It took a bit of trial and error to set PSM Studio up, register the Vita on the PC, getting the initial licence to be accepted etc etc. Now 90% of that shit can more or less be done automatically.

What bothers me the most is that they use other peoples software, that were released for free*.

If all the software needed/used was solely made by them, I still wouldnt agree with it but at the same time couldnt really complain either, since its their work and they do what they want with it. But thats not the case here...

*of course, you could argue ps3 downgraders uses freely released software as well, but thats not what they(usually) charge for, they charge for the actual, physical, hardware "mod" needed to use said software in the first place, and to some extent 'insurance'. We all know simply removing the heatsink from an old PS3 can cause those brittle solderballs to crack, rendering the PS3 useless.

• Upvote 3

872daeaf9d5ccbb7d98bb4fef4246f6e9da5ddcf

I have registered there just to see if tha shit is real with username StarMeler (yeah a typo) , then wrote there that this thing is very wrong and evil and post got deleted afterwards...then banned and flagged as spam.

Well I even said bye there at end of post, dont ever care to visit that site but still thought today to watch other replies it seems got  deleted and banned.

If they dont allow negative oppinions and criticism  to be posted how can u trust them ? Apparently they clean and ban as spam.

I voted the first THAT SHIT IS DISCUSTING.

PS : ALSO THE TURKRENO WHAT POSTED IS DISCUSTING AND VERY LOW.

After that scenario who can even trust their sites to him ?

Edited by StarMelter
  • Upvote 1

signature lost

• GregoryRasputin

I have nothing against people having such services as PS3 downgrading and Xbox 360 modding, it all involves opening the console and soldering shit, which for most end users is quite a lot of hard work, plus the chances of destroying the console are huge.

I don't like it when people put a price on their own software that is used in the scene, but when they go to all the effort of coding it and working hard on it, i can put up with it, this on the other hand i cannot agree with.

The excuse of course is make the website better, now that would be understandable if they were using software such as vBulletin or IPB, but they aren't, they use open source free software, so no amount of money is going to improve on that and if the server  they are running their website on is too expensive, then they should move to a better and cheaper one.

I am not against people making money, after all running a website can be expensive, but having a front page a forum and a guide section covered in ad's, as well as the affiliation, then going and charging people for such a service, it gets a bit much.

• Upvote 2

I do not like it for the simple reason. Anyone can do this, with the correct information.

So is a site that is making money as a service also giving that info out in plain view. If not, that is the issue. If so, then there is no issue. but i know that this can be done by really anyone with the correct information. Which i know one of the mods at psx-place was working on a guide in how to do this yourself for free.

$80.00 is a large price.. Especially for something that is software. I have seen people do PS3 downgrades for as low as  25.00.

Edited by STLcardsWS
  • Upvote 2
  • GregoryRasputin
2 minutes ago, STLcardsWS said:

Which i know one of the mods at psx-place was working on a guide in how to do this yourself for free.

Talking about PSX-Place, where the hell is it and why is it taking so long to bring it back O.o

27 minutes ago, GregoryRasputin said:

Talking about PSX-Place, where the hell is it and why is it taking so long to bring it back O.o

Manly time, myself and grimm are doing an complete overall of the site. New site software and such.. Taking a bit longer then expected, but should not be too much longer. Site will have a brand new look and software, so lots of new changes.no concrete ETA, ATM

Edited by STLcardsWS
  • Upvote 4

Also i want to point out that i am offended by the comments  :)

"if you feel offended by the price think about it like this, buying an exploit game often isn't any cheaper and we always need some money to improve the site"

Because the statement in itself is suggesting what they are doing is not quite right as they are having to justify it by thinking a certain way.  Then is the money really to improve the site? or just an additional revenue. Already they sell gear and decals. (which is nothing wrong with that), but to me shows maybe its not all about to Improve the site as suggested, but moreless another revenue stream. 

Insert other media

Edited by STLcardsWS

Ive bought..... 3 exploit games I think(or was it 4? at least 3 at any rate), and neither of those COMBINED adds up to what they are charging. So that excuse is completely untrue.

• Upvote 1

I will be brief because my English does not allow me to make great speeches,
 is shameful, all this takes me back to when they jumped out of certain indiscretions on the PS3 scene and all the noobs to break my balls because they wanted to know all about private works of the devs, attacking and offending them constantly, always using the excuse that everything had to become public for the sake of knowledge, 
the fact that certain things were the fruit of hard work of others did not matter at these people
There was immense tragedy for this, and in the end everything has been released in one way or in another, and what was the result?
the PSN in the hands of cheaters, a lot of people at boast to post guides copied by others, and a lot of people to make money with something that was given to them for free.
the difference is that in those days there were lots of interesting things, now the most disgusting thing is that someone start doing business thanks to the work of others despite the end result is only small things, modified icons or linux boot, although most of those who want to do this not even know what is linux, just to brag to their friends saying: Look, I can boot linux on my ps4, instead of saying: Look, they helped me to boot linux on my ps4.
Just imagine what would happen if someone could bring piracy on PS4, and all this I say by noob

Edited by OldBrain

I still think he's using cma backups.  apparently, a cma backup on lower firmware can be applied to higher firmware (not the other way around), and u can add whatever u like to it.  u just need the cma id of the person ur making a backup for, then hex edit ur system.dreg to the same thing.  it's very easy to do.  u just need a spare memory stick, because it will format it once u've changed the cma id.

edit: if he's installing pkg files, he'd have to have a vita on 3.18; if he's installing themes, he'd have to have a vita on 3.30 or higher. 

Edited by pinky

At the end I voted, I think I'm on the middle way, but I want to clarify that in my opinion there is nothing wrong when a dev wants to release your work, but I do not like when it is insulted if he not does it, obviously a different matter if he boasts of what it does.

Edited by OldBrain

holding back tools is a bad thing this is not what i meant in my thread.. i hate dongle makers and so on and ripping people off like gtaweekid...

i mean if it is just a service for people who have no clue how to jb a device or no time to do but they want pay for it then it is ok. ..but it should maybe be mentioned that all tools are free and that they are just paying the work they do

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, mcmrc1 said:

i mean if it is just a service for people who have no clue how to jb a device or no time to do but they want pay for it then it is ok. ..but it should maybe be mentioned that all tools are free and that they are just paying the work they do

Thats probably the main issue here, the way they are "marketing" things make it sound like they have special super-powers that can only be obtained through a paywall.

And then theres the small things, such as tweeting a thread with info, only to be greeted with a "you must be registred to view this content", and once you sign up, you then see that the link only led to a paywall service.

So not only are they selling this..... "service"...., they are also forcing people to sign up to their site without any information beforehand that they will only hit a paywall. People check the link and sign up, expecting to see tutorials or the like(like ALL the other reputable scene-sites), but nope, thats not the case. Gief us money.... :dodgy:

"And that, people, is what grinds my gears"

• Upvote 3

• Super Admin
On 4/27/2016 at 6:43 AM, Lucif3r said:

*of course, you could argue ps3 downgraders uses freely released software as well, but thats not what they(usually) charge for, they charge for the actual, physical, hardware "mod" needed to use said software in the first place, and to some extent 'insurance'. We all know simply removing the heatsink from an old PS3 can cause those brittle solderballs to crack, rendering the PS3 useless.

It is ok to charge for services, but it is not ok to sell openly available software that was given to the community for free. Opening up a console to perform a hardware modification is one thing, but selling software is bullshit. I bet he starts suppressing any Vita news to keep his new business alive.

Any time I have charged for installing mods I have made sure to tell the person exactly what they are being charged for. I always specifically state that the software is free and available to anyone for free, and that they are not paying for software

Don't start shit, there won't be shit