GregoryRasputin

Hacking The PS4 - Kernel Exploitation

12 minutes ago, ps3dev said:

How is what a Wikipedia article saying resulting in a facepalm? Explain. Secondly why are you people defending this situation as if its you that loses if people understand the truth behind what really the law states about piracy. What is your dog in this fight?

I didn't realise this was a 'fight'.

The reason for the facepalm is that i cannot understand your reasoning behind your statements.

So humour me...

• Could you show us where the law says that it is perfectly legal to steal movies of the internet ?
  • Also could you explain to me why people have been fined or had their internet access limited because they have stolen a movie of .mp3 file of the internet ?
  • Could you also explain to me why sites like Pirate Bay get shut down if downloading copyrighted material is legal.
  • If it is legal to download such files of the net, then uploading them would also be legal, so could you explain why people get in trouble for uploading movies ?
  • Could you explain why movie studios warn you against uploading such files as it would lead to a heavy fine or prison.

Personally i don't give a flying fuck who pirates and who does not, i do prefer that people buy their games and give to the developers that made the game.

14 minutes ago, GregoryRasputin said:

I didn't realise this was a 'fight'.

The reason for the facepalm is that i cannot understand your reasoning behind your statements.

So humour me...

• Could you show us where the law says that it is perfectly legal to steal movies of the internet ?
  • Also could you explain to me why people have been fined or had their internet access limited because they have stolen a movie of .mp3 file of the internet ?
  • Could you also explain to me why sites like Pirate Bay get shut down if downloading copyrighted material is legal.
  • If it is legal to download such files of the net, then uploading them would also be legal, so could you explain why people get in trouble for uploading movies ?
  • Could you explain why movie studios warn you against uploading such files as it would lead to a heavy fine or prison.

Personally i don't give a flying fuck who pirates and who does not, i do prefer that people buy their games and give to the developers that made the game.

Law doesn't exist to make something legal, law only exists to make things illegal. In other words, Everything is legal unless it is made illegal. So you cannot be shown laws that allow you to do something, that is an oxymoron.

1) There is no law that states free copying of information is governed by copyright.

2) People have their internet cut because their isp choses to. nothing legal about it.

3) Pirate bay got shut down because it was making revenue from advertisements on the site that hosted the torrent links.

4) People getting into trouble for uploading movies could mean anything, but there is no law that prevents you from uploading copyright material. I can't see how a sale could be involved in that, so without a sale no copyright applies anyway. maybe scare tactics you hear about on the net?

5) Because it is in their interest to scare you from freely distributing their films, making you believe the law is one thing, when it is not. Just because the motion picture industry claims the law is one thing, doesn't mean it actually is.

and equally I don't care too much for pirating, but what I do care about is when copying of digital media and freely giving it away is classed as piracy. It puts the whole scene years behind a shame, I don't blame people for thinking the law is one thing as its hammered into us in the films and entertainment all around us.

4 minutes ago, ps3dev said:

Law doesn't exist to make something legal, law only exists to make things illegal. In other words, Everything is legal unless it is made illegal. So you cannot be shown laws that allow you to do something, that is an oxymoron.

1) There is no law that states free copying of information is governed by copyright.

2) People have their internet cut because their isp choses to. nothing legal about it.

3) Pirate bay got shut down because it was making revenue from advertisements on the site that hosted the torrent links.

4) People getting into trouble for uploading movies could mean anything, but there is no law that prevents you from uploading copyright material. I can't see how a sale could be involved in that, so without a sale no copyright applies anyway. maybe scare tactics you hear about on the net?

5) Because it is in their interest to scare you from freely distributing their films, making you believe the law is one thing, when it is not. Just because the motion picture industry claims the law is one thing, doesn't mean it actually is.

and equally I don't care too much for pirating, but what I do care about is when copying of digital media and freely giving it away is classed as piracy. It puts the whole scene years behind a shame, I don't blame people for thinking the law is one thing as its hammered into us in the films and entertainment all around us.

2) People have their internet cut because their isp choses to. nothing legal about it. <-- are you stupid  " downloading stealing - sharing games/films

3) Pirate bay got shut down because it was making revenue from advertisements on the site that hosted the torrent links. <--- no it fucking didnt you do know pirate bay has been open three times pirate bay first shut down cause of hosting the torrents and p2p again...

2 minutes ago, ps3dev said:

Fine forget about the law for awhile, when people argue about the virtues of pirating it is less common to see people mention that it is illegal the reason they don't do it. They mention how it hurt the developers and such. The legality of the issue comes up rarely. But going back to cturt, with your legal expertise do you see anything he did which would implicate him in a court room? He hasn't sold a thing, but I can't record 'Star Wars' with my cell phone and post it on twitter without getting busted for something.

5 minutes ago, thezander said:

Fine forget about the law for awhile, when people argue about the virtues of pirating it is less common to see people mention that it is illegal the reason they don't do it. They mention how it hurt the developers and such. The legality of the issue comes up rarely. But going back to cturt, with your legal expertise do you see anything he did which would implicate him in a court room? He hasn't sold a thing, but I can't record 'Star Wars' with my cell phone and post it on twitter without getting busted for something.

How do devs feel about the sale of second hand original games? they don't see a penny from the sale, do you realise that selling second hand games is copyright infringement and piracy?

While he hasn't broken any copyright laws as far as I'm aware from what ive seen published as no one is selling anything its not going to be possible for anyone to pursue the avenue of copyright or piracy. however anyone can make a claim in court for absolutely anything, doesn't mean they are right or should win, so hypothetically if someone did cause losses for pony and could prove it in court they could end up with a fine. but cturt didn't make it possible for him to do this to the ps4, pony did it. Their design and functionality made it possible for the ps4 to do what cturt claims to do when cturt interacts with the ps4 in the specified manner.

twitters rules are not law.

21 minutes ago, ps3dev said:

How do devs feel about the sale of second hand original games? they don't see a penny from the sale, do you realise that selling second hand games is copyright infringement and piracy?

While he hasn't broken any copyright laws as far as I'm aware from what ive seen published as no one is selling anything its not going to be possible for anyone to pursue the avenue of copyright or piracy. however anyone can make a claim in court for absolutely anything, doesn't mean they are right or should win, so hypothetically if someone did cause losses for pony and could prove it in court they could end up with a fine. but cturt didn't make it possible for him to do this to the ps4, pony did it. Their design and functionality made it possible for the ps4 to do what cturt claims to do when cturt interacts with the ps4 in the specified manner.

twitters rules are not law.

Alright fine, that's all I was wondering your opinion about. I think it's in there too. That although he didn't break any laws sony could file suit against him regardless in which case it's in your best interest to duck out of the public eye.

A lot of your responses have had an argumental feel to them, so just to clarify in your first statement I was using an example of which people do not state that pirating is wrong due to the legality of it and instead claim other reasons. I did not necessarily endorse the statement myself. That being said one could argue that there is a vast effective difference between me lending my game out to people I know or just passing it down the line. VS Taking the game I own, duplicating it for others on a much larger scale. You see the difference right? One single copy getting passed around has a much smaller impact than if I were to duplicate it and pass it on to thousands. Once again though I wasn't really trying to get into this, I was merely giving an example in which the legality of piracy is rarely discussed in online debates.

TO further clarify you would rarely see this transcribe:

Person 1: I do not think pirating video games is right ( they're misusing the word according to you btw, but you know it happens) it hurts the people that made the game to the point where they have to charge more for the game or potentially go out of business like SEGA.

Person 2: Hey idiot, didn't you know that pirating only refers to selling the downloaded copy. You morons are succumbing to the propaganda that big media feeds ou and shoves down your throat? You are so stupid to think that it's illegal to download a game you didn't pay for it makes me sick you moron. Here's a plethora of Wikipedia pages in which I well versed in and can recite in my sleep please freaking show me where it says it's illegal moron! You're so stupid.

Person 1: Wow, I guess you're right. I'm going to download games now because that's what I was worried about.

Edit: Once again it's kind of hard to tell, I'm not trying to start an actual debate about piracy in itself. More of a meta standpoint about when people do debate it. The point of the matter I can't really remember anymore. But you said something about jailbreaking and illegal and piracy and legality which kind of spiraled into this. My only initial gripe was when you stated it didn't happen anymore. Then you jut kept going on about law and stuff which went off the rails a little in my opinion.

Edited by thezander

45 minutes ago, ps3dev said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA watch this please...lol

This guy is too convinced to always know everything about everything!
every time the same thing,
We not be able to change His mind so you are just wasting your time!

Edited by DebugBrain

4 minutes ago, DebugBrain said:

This guy is too convinced to always know everything about everything!
every time the same thing,
We not be able to change His mind so you are just wasting your time!

I guess you're right, I didn't realize till now I was pointing out that people still sell stuff. Only to get sidetracked like nuts into what words mean and issues that did not pertain to the original subject at hand. All the while trying to figure out why it felt like I was fighting with a family member at thanksgiving.

Oh look, the IRC log caught my "Jailbread" idea. :D

Anyway, I guess everyone should understand now why we warned CTurt so much. It's not about keeping stuff private, it never was.

4 hours ago, ps3dev said:

Late to the match again but....................

1) Correct, but copying and then distributing said copies is...... A SINGLE copy is ONLY allowed if you possess the Original, OR, the licence to install on more than one machine.

2) Maybe on the planet where you live, but sorry, not on Earth (Yes, I can quote numerous legal orders etc if you Really want to push this???)

3) Pirate Bay got (gets) shut down because it acts as a gateway for people to illegally DISTRIBUTE copyright protected materials.

4) Read 1), but just to drive it home, you are committing a CRIME if you DISTRIBUTE a COPY of something WITHOUT PERMISSION.

5) Nice opinion ;)

Not so equally, and burn this one into your brain please............................. It is not JUST a case of monetary gain (sale) that causes something to come under the copyright laws. It is MANY things, but the main ones are DENIAL OF EARNINGS of the owner/creator/authorised distributor etc etc etc (phrased differently depending on subject matter), and PERSONAL GAIN (it being illegal to make ANY form of gain, be that monies or just 'fame' from anothers work without PERMISSION).

Hope that has cleared it up a teensy weensy bit, but please feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to give you links to legal statutes and I'll even help you read them :)

Edited by Wolfie708

1 hour ago, Wolfie708 said:

Late to the match again but....................

1) Correct, but copying and then distributing said copies is...... A SINGLE copy is ONLY allowed if you possess the Original, OR, the licence to install on more than one machine.

2) Maybe on the planet where you live, but sorry, not on Earth (Yes, I can quote numerous legal orders etc if you Really want to push this???)

3) Pirate Bay got (gets) shut down because it acts as a gateway for people to illegally DISTRIBUTE copyright protected materials.

4) Read 1), but just to drive it home, you are committing a CRIME if you DISTRIBUTE a COPY of something WITHOUT PERMISSION.

5) Nice opinion ;)

Not so equally, and burn this one into your brain please............................. It is not JUST a case of monetary gain (sale) that causes something to come under the copyright laws. It is MANY things, but the main ones are DENIAL OF EARNINGS of the owner/creator/authorised distributor etc etc etc (phrased differently depending on subject matter), and PERSONAL GAIN (it being illegal to make ANY form of gain, be that monies or just 'fame' from anothers work without PERMISSION).

Hope that has cleared it up a teensy weensy bit, but please feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to give you links to legal statutes and I'll even help you read them :)

Look, it hasn't cleared up shit.

I am 100% right with what I say, there is no doubt in my mind. I can only assume that the majority in here must have a vested interest in keeping this lie going.

Just now, ps3dev said:

I am 100% right with what I say, there is no doubt in my mind. I can only assume that the majority in here must have a vested interest in keeping this lie going.

Dude why are doubling down, how about at least one point with what you said. That it is long gone and a thing of the past? I know I didn't exactly offer proof that people constantly sell bootlegs but surely that has jogged your memory enough to admit they maybe it still goes on, no?

Why assume that people here are keeping some lie going? Be rational. 

3 minutes ago, ps3dev said:

I give up lol

Have fun talking with the Fairies though mate, as you most certainly live in your own special bubble :)

I'm sorry but I find it pathetic when a person says "I'm stopping my work on the "X" project/scene because people are tweeting me to release a piracy method".
I find in an overused cheap excuse and IT IS an oversused cheap excuse.
We all know by now that the truth is alot different than this excuse.
In the end of the day nobody forced your mind to work on a project, then create a twitter account and make tweets making public your words, you did.
You like taking the credit and the exposure when you are being appreciated by your public work but you can't ignore typical piracy retards ending up overreacting worse than them? That's BS and you know it. Nobody is that fool to believe it or even if they do you still look like a fool publicly.

Those double standars...
Hall of shame feels cluttered these days...

Everything eventually leads to Piracy anyway ...

Doesnt really matter what people say we have seen this before in the PlayStation scenes 

someone leaves pulls everything then someone else just takes up the mantel and continues the work 

its always the same and i swear there is more drama in the PlayStation scene that whats on reality tv 

19 hours ago, thezander said:

All the while trying to figure out why it felt like I was fighting with a family member at thanksgiving.

Ahahah 

yes, maybe after a few glasses of good wine also xD

Edited by DebugBrain

gdfffdfds.png

PS: hahaha.....

3 hours ago, TheDarkprogramer said:

Everything eventually leads to Piracy anyway ...

Doesnt really matter what people say we have seen this before in the PlayStation scenes 

someone leaves pulls everything then someone else just takes up the mantel and continues the work 

its always the same and i swear there is more drama in the PlayStation scene that whats on reality tv 

maybe we should start a TV series. "Playstation Drama Scene" we could make millions. For once it would be something worth watching instead of finding out what Kim Kardashian is going to wear today.

Once you can run unsigned code, which is needed for homebrew, you can also do piracy as the games are just "unsigned homebrews"*. Thats just natural, and denying that is just silly. Wasting time trying to prevent piracy while still keeping homebrews is just that - a waste of time.

The exception here is obviously if the homebrew environment is sandboxed, like PSM on the Vita, or very limited in some other way(like VHBL ePSP on the Vita, VHBL cant run psp games, but ARK/TN can).

But in those cases you are also limiting the homebrews, such as not having access to the full power on the system(such as PSM which can only run at 444Mhz).

*explanation for dummies, theres usually more things a native game needs access to that most homebrews dont need. But in many cases it can be circumvented by for example using a similar method that Loadiine currently uses - tricking the system into  thinking its running a certain game, while in fact you've injected another game instead, with the same privilege as the original game. In that case you want a game with as much privilege as possible, such as SD access.