hi all, i have just seen this on ukhotdeals http://www.play-asia.com/amiibo-super-mario-series-figure-mario-gold-ver/13/709gcj

and it got me thinking because i was considering ordering one.

How do they work?

ive seen them in tesco now and was gona grab a few from there but they all seem to say super smash bros on the packets.

i dont have that game and dont think i will.

what i would like to know is, if i picked up any mario/toad, kirby or yoshi ect...would they work on any mario game,toad, kirby or yoshi game?

id love to get a woolly yoshi but dont wanna get one if its not going to work with other games only smash bro?

i understand it uses nfc but what i dont understand is if i get any mario, will it work on any mario game or just on smash bros as all the ones ive seen in person say super smash bros on the box.

4 minutes ago, Egg 'n' chips said:

i understand it uses nfc but what i dont understand is if i get any mario, will it work on any mario game or just on smash bros as all the ones ive seen in person say super smash bros on the box.

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Egg 'n' chips said:

but what i dont understand is if i get any mario, will it work on any mario game or just on smash bros as all the ones ive seen in person say super smash bros on the box.

No, while the amiibos are usually cross-game, its just with games N* have decided them to be compatible with. Like the Link one from SSB will be compatible with Twilight Princess HD, and I assume the new one as well, but you cant use the Link one in for example Pikmin.

As for mario... Im just guessing but I would assume Mario amiibo would be compatible with all Mario games, but again, not different games like Pikmin or whatever.

• Upvote 1

872daeaf9d5ccbb7d98bb4fef4246f6e9da5ddcf

my son bougth lots of these amiibos. And i can find those for a very little price at that chinese site (alibaba ?), at ridiculous price, but it seems figures comes without the NFC chip.

For a figure to work with a game, surely it needs to be pre-programmed in-game.

I collected some Disney Infinity figures, for example. Althoug game recognizes any character, it even shows, for example, Donald Duck  on screen on Infinity 2.0, i can even walk with it on game, but game doesn't let me advance in game. Infinity 2.0 has something like a sandbox called Toybox, and all characters should be playable, that's just for races or city building . But things are really confusing, because 3.0 characters are not backward compatible.

• 4 weeks later...

ok so i decided to pick up a few the other day,i have toad,which works on my captain toad game, the big woolly yoshi for the woolly yoshi game, a normal sized yoshi hoping it would work on the mario games but cant seem to figure out why it wont work so am thinking i may have wasted money on it as i already have one for woolly world.

and i have the 30th pixel mario for the mario games but that doesnt work either.

if anybody can shed a bit of light for me please? does this mario only work with the mario maker game?

and if i bought a luigi amiibo, would it only work with the luigi game or will it work on mario games too?

also, if im not boring you already...do all mario amiibo do the same thing or different things? could i use different mario amiibo's on the same game?