• Announcements

• GregoryRasputin

Say Hello, Make An Introduction Thread :)   11/20/2015

We love having new members join the forum, what we like more is them being productive people and contributing a little bit to the forum. So if you are a new member, let us know who you are by saying hi in an introduction thread, you can find the forum section here: https://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/15-member-introduction/
GregoryRasputin

[How To] Run Homebrew On 3DS

GregoryRasputin    4,803

With Cubic Ninja the 3DS Scene was shown an easy way to run Homebrew on the 3DS and since then the 3DS scene has blown up with awesomeness, so i am writing this article in an attempt to show you or help you how to get homebrew running on your 3DS/N3DS.

nyRdI3p.png

What Will Enabling Homebrew Do For My 3DS/N3DS ?

• You will be able to run a range of homebrew applications and games, such as Emulators, FTP clients and of course home made games.
  • You will be able to play games from different regions, the 3DS is region locked, so this is great for playing games that do not come out in your region, or grabbing them early from other regions before they are released in yours:
  • On your 3DS you can change themes, which can be bought on a special store on the 3DS, with Homebrew enabled on your 3DS you will be able to create and install your own themes, or download and install ones that have been made by people from the 3DS community.

How Do I Get Homebrew On My 3DS/N3DS ?
You need to install Ninjhax, so you should have one of three games:

Cubic Ninja
This game was the original entry point for Homebrew on the 3DS, when Smealum released the name of the title, prices for the game which you could normally buy for around $5, shot up to over $100 in some place, i personally game my copy away in a forum competition.
The method for actually getting homebrew on the 3DS using this game is extremely simple and easy, pop the game in the game slot, start it up and scan a QR code on Ninjhax and you are good to go, but here is a step by step:

1.) Make sure you are on the correct firmware, you will be able to select the firmware version on the Ninjhax website.
2.) Insert the 3DS/N3DS card which is inside your console into an SD/MicroSD Card Reader.
3.) Download Homebrew Starter Kit from the Ninjhax website:
http://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip
4.) Extract the contents of the .zip to the root of the SD/MicroSD Card you have inserted inside your PC.
5.) Take the SD/MicroSD Card out of the PC's Card Reader and put it back in your 3DS/N3DS.
6.) Make sure you have Cubic Ninja inserted in your 3DS/N3DS and start the game.
7.) Go to the Ninjhax website:

http://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/
find where it says "How do i run Ninjhax", insert the Firmware your currently have installed on your 3DS/N3DS into the drop box on the Ninjhax website, you will be provided with a QR code, save that image or keep it on screen.
8.) Start Cubic Ninja, then go to where it says Create, Then QR code and scan the QR code you received by doing step 7, if you have been successful with scanning the code, you should be given instructions to follow on your 3DS, do this and you should have the ability to run Homebrew on your 3DS/N3DS.

If my wall of text is too much or you can't be bothered reading it, check on of these video tutorials:

This one is eight months old, but still stands as a viable tutorial, it was created by the PSP/PS Vita scenes The_Zett

This one shows how the process can be done if you do not have a PC or any other type of computer to show the QR code, the creator of the tutorial scans the code of another 3DS:

YouTube

Yes believe it or not, you can get Homebrew running on your 3DS/N3DS using the YouTube application, at the moment of writing this article, i could not get this method working >.<

1.) Make sure you are on the correct firmware, which is between 9.0 and 9.9
2.) Follow steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 from the Cubic Ninja guide
3.) Go to System Settings > Internet Settings > Connection Settings > Select your active connection > Change Settings > DNS > Select 'No' on the 'Auto-Obtain DNS' screen > Click 'Detailed Setup' > Enter 107.211.140.065 into the 'Primary DNS' section > click 'OK' > Click 'Save' > OK > Don't Test > go back to Home Screen > Open YouTube > Select the correct firmware for your 3DS > Hit Submit and wait a little while, you should be then greeted with the Homebrew Screen.

EDIT
Fixed the problem by changing some settings with my ISP and resetting router.

IronFall

IronFall is a third person shooter for the 3DS, it was removed from the eShop before the actual exploit method was released, unfortunately the game is digital only, so if you did not manage to grab it before it was removed, do not bother following this tutorial, also if you can't get TubeHaX to work, do not bother with this game either as you need it installed before you install IronHaX:

1.) Complete all the steps of installing TubeHaX
2.) Run the IronHaX installer from the Homebrew Menu
3.) Reboot the 3DS, start IronFall, select the game save that says ironhax and load it, you should arrive at the Homebrew menu

Important Websites:
Ninjhax
http://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/

The Homebrew Launcher
https://smealum.github.io/3ds/

3DBrew
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Applications

Smealum's Twitter
https://twitter.com/smealum

Edited by GregoryRasputin
  • Upvote 3

Cylent1    17

2 questions regarding the youtube/ironfall hack.

What is the purpose of ironfall if youtube alone can get the homebrew to run?

also, I have a CTR-001 (USA) model and I am on fw 9.9.0-26U.  Will this fw work with these hacks?

I cannot for the life of me get the you tube hack to work...

***EDIT***

For those of you having trouble getting youhax to work, delete the youtube app and redownload.

When you get to the screen to pick your firmware version, selct your Firmware+old. Example: 9.9old

This worked for me...

Edited by Cylent1
  • Upvote 1

tjhooker73    166

2 questions regarding the youtube/ironfall hack.

What is the purpose of ironfall if youtube alone can get the homebrew to run?

also, I have a CTR-001 (USA) model and I am on fw 9.9.0-26U.  Will this fw work with these hacks?

I cannot for the life of me get the you tube hack to work...

***EDIT***

For those of you having trouble getting youhax to work, delete the youtube app and redownload.

When you get to the screen to pick your firmware version, selct your Firmware+old. Example: 9.9old

This worked for me...

More ways to run homebrew are always good. 

Just look at the PSP/psv scene. 

• Upvote 2

Cylent1    17

Is there a way to install the homebrew launcher as a standalone app so we don't have to go through one of the 3 hacks everytime?

Edited by Cylent1

tjhooker73    166

Is there a way to install the homebrew launcher as a standalone app so we don't have to go through one of the 3 hacks everytime?

no

• Upvote 1

ronopotomus    18

Fantastic! I just ordered a New 3ds. I'm hoping to try this out :)

GregoryRasputin    4,803

Still can't get TubeHaX working, tried everything, deleting access point, deleting and reinstalling YouTube, it just doesn't want to work for me :( 

• Upvote 1

Cylent1    17

Still can't get TubeHaX working, tried everything, deleting access point, deleting and reinstalling YouTube, it just doesn't want to work for me :( 

You have to make sure and pick the correct fw version when you first run youtube.

also It depends on the exact model 3ds and what fw you have, for example: 1st edition 3ds with 9.9fw, would be 9.9old.

as to where the newest models with 9.9fw, you would choose 9.9new.

hope this helps!

Edited by Cylent1

tjhooker73    166

I've got tubehax working for homebrew and gateway for my roms, I also got all the needed 3ds tools in .cia or .3ds format finally :D

• Upvote 1

stomp_442    126

You might want to look into the browser version on your 3DS, I could be wrong tough and it be something else. I have two 3DS and only one of them runs ninjhax, and I think it's the browser, firmware version x.x.x-10 that is giving me the problems.

Edited by stomp_442

Cylent1    17

I was able to get Ironfall on one of my3ds, but not the 2nd one.

Is there a way I can transfer it to the other?

GregoryRasputin    4,803

You have to make sure and pick the correct fw version when you first run youtube.

also It depends on the exact model 3ds and what fw you have, for example: 1st edition 3ds with 9.9fw, would be 9.9old.

as to where the newest models with 9.9fw, you would choose 9.9new.

hope this helps!

Unfortunately i don't get that far, instead of the firmware screen, i get an error message telling me that my 3DS cannot connect to the internet.

Cylent1    17

Unfortunately i don't get that far, instead of the firmware screen, i get an error message telling me that my 3DS cannot connect to the internet.

Even after you delete youtube and re-install it?

IMHO, Starting fresh is the way to go...

1: Make sure your FW on the 3ds is 9.9, if thats what fw you want.

2: Even if you already have youtube, delete it and re-download it and install it.

3: Delete all your internet connections on the 3ds, and create a new one following the instructions given in the tutorial. 

4: Open youtube, choose fw version 9.9 (Old or New)  if thats what you use. (If you have a older model 3ds, you will choose 9.9old)

This is what worked for me...

Edited by Cylent1

tjhooker73    166

2: Even if you already have youtube, delete it and re-download it and install it.

3: Delete all your internet connections on the 3ds, and create a new one following the instructions given in the tutorial. 

4: Open youtube, choose fw version 9.9 (Old or New)  if thats what you use. (If you have a older model 3ds, you will choose 9.9old)

You do not need to be on 9.9. It works fine with the latest YouTube and 9.0. 

GregoryRasputin    4,803

lol i did all that, but no luck.

• Upvote 1