The___Seeker

My custom built PC

Question

I was originally going to buy a prebuilt gaming computer until a friend suggested for me to buy each part separately and build it. I'm not at all familiar with putting computer parts together but my friend said he'll help me out because he's experienced and has done it himself. I'm building a PC (first time) and this is the setup I've gotten so far. I know that's a lot of money, but I want this build to be best. I'm actually really close to how much I need for it from my savings. I've been thinking though, should I wait for Windows 10 to come out and buy that, or get Windows 8.1? Friend suggested to get Windows 8.1 because Windows 10 will most likely not be optimized for a lot of steam games, and to install it on a SSD 250gb so Windows would run fastest.

I was also going to buy Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers with a subwoofer. I've heard everything good about them except that it doesn't have an on/off switch, I need that because I wouldn't like leaving them on. But I could just turn off the extension cord it's connected to, and it's surge protected. Anyone know anything about those speakers?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/h8ZzLk

Well, please give any suggestions on this build and I don't mind any criticism. I need more than just my friends advice lol. Thanks.

Edited by The___Seeker

9 answers to this question

Monitor isnt something to cheap out on imo. I mean, the monitor will directly affect how things will look. 
Im not saying you should go out and buy the most expensive monitor in the universe, but to get the cheapest possible just to save a few bucks will just bite you in the ass.

As for mouse/kb - whatever floats your boat. Ive been using Logitechs G-series ever since the G15(went from G15 to G110, which Im still using) and am quite happy with them. I never use the extra G-buttons though, so Im thinking of getting another keyboard with less G-keys, or none at all, to reduce the size it takes on my already cluttered desk lol.

If you want a silent keyboard, a "laptop"-keyboard is the way to go though.

Also, not all microswitches(mechanical kb) sounds like an 1910 type writer. Some are even more quiet than your average rubber-keyboard........ usually with a price to match, but still :)

Windows 10 is free if you buy windows 8.1

Have you bought windows in the past for anything else? I'm pretty sure windows 10 preview is free regardless. 

Yea, I was told that as well, but I thought it was just a one year thing if you had Windows 8? I have a Windows 8.1 laptop I'm using right now that I bought last year. I'll check on that though.

Yea, I was told that as well, but I thought it was just a one year thing if you had Windows 8? I have a Windows 8.1 laptop I'm using right now that I bought last year. I'll check on that though.

I would, just to keep it less expensive. I don't know too much about Keyboards/Mouse/Monitors but that stuff I always go cheap on. Inland 7 dollars all the way around. But I can see why it would be important to a PC gamer. 

Although I dont see whats so fancy about the keyboard.

Edited by thezander

I would, just to keep it less expensive. I don't know too much about Keyboards/Mouse/Monitors but that stuff I always go cheap on. Inland 7 dollars all the way around. But I can see why it would be important to a PC gamer. 

Yea, I think 150 for just a monitor is pretty expensive so I'll do some more research on that and other accessories. I usually use eBay to find things cheaper. It's just that I'm going to be running some games max, so I need something good.

I need a silent keyboard, mechanical ones are way too loud.

lol, I've had Windows update setting set to "Never check for updates". So that's why I probably couldn't see that Windows 10 notification on the bottom right corner. I had it off because I get annoyed when I restart my computer and it says that it's installing updates for like HOURS, especially when I'm in a rush and need to get things done.

Capture.PNG

Edited by The___Seeker

lol, I've had Windows update setting set to "Never check for updates". So that's why I probably couldn't see that Windows 10 notification on the bottom right corner. I had it off because I get annoyed when I restart my computer and it says that it's installing updates for like HOURS, especially when I'm in a rush and need to get things do

Yeah. I have had the little blip poping up on the top right corner and I am eager to try because of Spartan Edge Browser but I don't know if it has adblock yet. I would really like to finally go back to a microsoft browser and never deal with chrome or firefox again, I just need that adblock. 

Obviously I can only speak for myself, but when I look at a keyboard there are certain things I look at.
First is layout, most have roughly the same layout, but some can use a smaller shift-key(or enter, or whatever), some odd offset, or have enormous spacing between the different sections(as an MMO gamer, I want the F-keys to be quite close to the numberkeys for easy reach).
Second thing that to me is a must is backlight. Not that I usually look at the keyboard while typing, but it does help with the initial placement of your hands. And it looks nice :)
Third thing is multimedia keys - mainly a volume rocker and mute button. I dont like "laptop"-style multimedia keys, where you hit for example a "FN" key alongside a F-key to control volume etc - I want at least dedicated buttons for that, preferably a knob or "scroll" for the volume.
I also look at USB ports, thats something I often use tbh. Headphone/mic input is handy to have as well, and something I use on the very rare occasions I use headphones.

But the most important thing for me is the feel, comfort, of the keyboard. It must be responsive(I have quite a few old keyboards that simply couldnt keep up with my typing...), not too hard to press, and definitely not too soft. And this is where pretty much all keyboards differs from each other, at least if we're talking old classic rubber-keys. Mechanical keyboards are roughly the same as they use the same type of switches(assuming you chose the same switches, obviously).
The spacebar is probably the most important key to feel right - and this is where the main difference between different keyboards lies.
The keyboards that just presses in the middle goes directly to the trash - those will break and become very unreliable rather quick if youre a gamer(or even normal typing unless you always hit space in the middle, something I dont do), since you usually press space on the left-edge(assuming WASD-setup).
There needs to be at least 2 areas it presses in order for it to last, one on the right side, one on the left side. I dont know how many keyboards I have in storage where the space-key is tilting to the left, causing it to be completely unusable on the left side.
My G110 have quite a few years on its neck(I.. think its about 6 years old now, which is the longest Ive ever kept the same keyboard) and the space is still as responsive as when it was new. Thats good quality if you ask me, considering I probably use my keyboard more in a day than most do in a week. :)