Need help with PS3 fan control utility

Go to solution Solved by sandungas,

Question

Hello, I'm new here at this site and I actually like this site a lot more than the others that I've been to.

Anyways, I need help with the PS3 fan control utility in game sonic manager 1.39.1. I never use any homebrew to control my fan because I've read a lot of posts saying that messing with your fan can eventually break it. I don't want that to happen, but is that true?

When I launch game sonic manager, it automatically makes my fan run at higher speeds when it measures the temperature of my PS3, and it's pretty loud which annoying to me. Like I said, I don't want to break my fan from messing with it, if what I said above is true. The interface is a little confusing to me too, so if any one can help or give me advice, I would be a happy boy. :)

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

3 answers to this question

• Founding Member
  • Solution

To the order, sir

To ask the first question, by software you are sending a pulse frequency to the fan that works like a percentage... so the maximun speed you can set is 100%

In this sense the fan will not break (neither the motherboard because the high power requirements of a faster speed)... both motherboard and the fans are ready for it

The worst thing that could happen is to short the lifetime of the fan, if it runs at higher speed it will make more revolutions per minute, and the total number of revolutions is always the same and what determines the life of the bearings

When shorting his life i mean... you will reach sooner the time when the fan starts making loud noises (because the bearings are degradated and causes vibrations) but it will keep working even after that

About iris/forks fanconfig screen... is long to explain and a bit complicated, you need to experiment a bit, but basically:

The most important thing to know is every time you change something you need to press the button "set settings"... otherway you are not changing anything and if you get out of that config screen or out of the app your changes are lost

At top you have the 3 available working modes, i dont remember the names but i prefer to name them in a more intuitive way based in his function, this way:

-FACTORY SPEEDS (this is named syscon)

-STATIC SPEED (you set a speed and it will be mantained until next reboot)

-VARIABLE SPEEDS (you set values for temperatures where the speeds will change... and the speeds associated with these temperatures)

The first mode is like doing anything, the fan speeds will be controlled by syscon (chip) exactly like in a PS3 with official firmware

The second mode with an static speed is fine for tests to get used to noise level in relationship with speeds (good to test a bit with different values until you find a noise level you consider is aceptable). But i personally dont like a static speed because i consider it dangerous

The third mode is the real deal... all the values in the screen (except the static speed) are for it

At right column you have the temperatures (think in them as 3 or 4 speed changes that will happen at the temperatures you want)

At left column you have the speeds associated with the temnperatures at right... initially (for the first tests) you dont need to change speeds because are inside the aceptable values estwald used in his PS3 FAT (note if you have a slim maybe you want to reduce them a bit)

Edited by sandungas
  • Upvote 4

Welcome to the family :)

Adjusting your fan speed will NOT break it. Thats a load of bullshit. The only way to break the fan would be to power it beyond its limit - something thats NOT possible through software. You'd have to hardwire to an external supply for that to happen.
The only thing that CAN happen, is user error. Namely setting the speed too low causing the console to overheat.

Unfortunately Im not very familiar with iris/gamesonic, as I personally exclusively use webMAN. However I know someone who is knowledgeable in this area.

@sandungas !!! Get to work you slacker :) (I'll slap him on IRC too for you).

• Upvote 2

872daeaf9d5ccbb7d98bb4fef4246f6e9da5ddcf

To the order, sir

To ask the first question, by software you are sending a pulse frequency to the fan that works like a percentage... so the maximun speed you can set is 100%

In this sense the fan will not break (neither the motherboard because the high power requirements of a faster speed)... both motherboard and the fans are ready for it

The worst thing that could happen is to short the lifetime of the fan, if it runs at higher speed it will make more revolutions per minute, and the total number of revolutions is always the same and what determines the life of the bearings

When shorting his life i mean... you will reach sooner the time when the fan starts making loud noises (because the bearings are degradated and causes vibrations) but it will keep working even after that

About iris/forks fanconfig screen... is long to explain and a bit complicated, you need to experiment a bit, but basically:

The most important thing to know is every time you change something you need to press the button "set settings"... otherway you are not changing anything and if you get out of that config screen or out of the app your changes are lost

At top you have the 3 available working modes, i dont remember the names but i prefer to name them in a more intuitive way based in his function, this way:

-FACTORY SPEEDS (this is named syscon)

-STATIC SPEED (you set a speed and it will be mantained until next reboot)

-VARIABLE SPEEDS (you set values for temperatures where the speeds will change... and the speeds associated with these temperatures)

The first mode is like doing anything, the fan speeds will be controlled by syscon (chip) exactly like in a PS3 with official firmware

The second mode with an static speed is fine for tests to get used to noise level in relationship with speeds (good to test a bit with different values until you find a noise level you consider is aceptable). But i personally dont like a static speed because i consider it dangerous

The third mode is the real deal... all the values in the screen (except the static speed) are for it

At right column you have the temperatures (think in them as 3 or 4 speed changes that will happen at the temperatures you want)

At left column you have the speeds associated with the temnperatures at right... initially (for the first tests) you dont need to change speeds because are inside the aceptable values estwald used in his PS3 FAT (note if you have a slim maybe you want to reduce them a bit)

Thanks for that, it really helped. My PS3 is a slim so I guess I'll put it a bit lower so that it wouldn't be so loud.

Thanks again, I'll test it out when I'm home!