GregoryRasputin

Xbox One Control Pad To Ship With Oculus Rift

During the Oculus Rift E3 presentation today, Microsoft's Phil Spencer revealed that the Oculus Rift would ship with an Xbox One control pad:

7nBBZcd.jpg

Xbox One games will be able to stream to the device.

Source

this is pretty cool, I wonder how the oculus and kinect will work in unison. Are they also going to release one of those frictionless mats you see on TV?

Thats a good move, a fuckload better than the sad thing Sony decided to do, making their own VR in no time at all....

Well my money is on Oculus, solely based on the enormous amount of pure passion and energy they have put into it. Sony? "quick! shit something out that can make us money!! Motion sickness? Nah screw that, takes too long".

Thats a good move, a fuckload better than the sad thing Sony decided to do, making their own VR in no time at all....

Well my money is on Oculus, solely based on the enormous amount of pure passion and energy they have put into it. Sony? "quick! shit something out that can make us money!! Motion sickness? Nah screw that, takes too long".

The Xbox bit really doesn't appeal to me, if they were streaming the game like normal Oculus Rift games are displayed it would be great, instead it projects a room and inside  that room is a TV/Cinema screen and you play the game on that.

Saying that, i do prefer Oculus Rift over Morpheus.

The Xbox bit really doesn't appeal to me, if they were streaming the game like normal Oculus Rift games are displayed it would be great, instead it projects a room and inside  that room is a TV/Cinema screen and you play the game on that.

Saying that, i do prefer Oculus Rift over Morpheus.

What appealed to me was the fact that MS used their brains and actually went ahead and worked together with the oculus team, rather than making their own copy like sony is doing.

I think at this point, when VR is in such an early stage(not even released for consumers yet), the last thing we need is 657420 different hardware versions each with their own SDK etc etc. Better to focus on the one thats been in development the longest, the one that started this whole VR crazy, until VR is more of a common household item.

So for that, I like what MS did there.

And yes, I AM aware of MS working on their own VR, but its not exactly VR like the oculus or morpheus. Same thing with google and their glass VR.

Oh, a "free" controller, cool...

Sidediscussion:

Some people forget history so easily...

Current VR uses the same principles as the 2 image parallax projection since the 1880's.

It still lacks several features that the 1955 Sensorama already had.

- nytimes.com/2014/11/16/magazine/virtual-reality-fails-its-way-to-success.html

Morpheus doesn't even have a 3axis magnetometer, as they rely on the Playstation Camera to track the user (nothing spells "safe", as having your butt feeling your real couch as a virtual potato)

- psdevwiki.com/ps4/Morpheus

So this is pretty much just  remoteplay for Xbox One(in a virtual lounge), right?

I'm probably missing something obvious, I always do lol

Edit. Nope I wasnt missing anything.

MS should ditch the virtual lounge though and just use an arcade cab scene. Itd be more fun playing Double Dragon or other arcade classics on a cabinet than playing Halo on a Virtual tv while your sitting on your couch in front of your real tv

Edited by Rautz