Bigbones87

Is this desktop decent/worth the asking price?

Question

Hey, been wanting a better desktop, without going hog wild and spending a ton up front. Found this on Craigslist, and was wondering if it was decent enough for the asking price. Thanks in advance.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/vgm/5053303780.html

Intel Core i5 Quad Core Processor

8GB DDR3 RAM

Corsair TX 750 Watt Power Supply

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

ASUS 12X Blu-Ray Internal Burner

Rosewill 74-In-1 USB Card Reader

Kingston HyperX 120 GB Solid State Drive (SSD)

Cooler Master HAF Computer Tower

ASUS ATX Intel Motherboard

Acer 23" LED Monitor

It has Windows 7 Professional SP1 OS. Microsoft office professional plus activated and ready to go.

All cables needed are included. WIFI adapter included and is ready to use.

Please contact by phone, email, or text.

Asking $400 Cash

24 answers to this question

Do you really need a complete whole new PC, case and monitor and all that? As for the raw performance of the setup, I wouldnt pay half of what hes asking for it.

Anyway, my suggestion is that if you dont absolutely need a complete PC with all that includes at once - upgrade your current setup instead. For example, buy a motherboard+cpu this month, buy RAM the next month(or whenever you feel you have money over), GFX card another month and so on and so forth. By doing that and getting a decent rhythm of upgrading and replacing parts, you can keep having a quite good PC without it leaving a big empty hole in your wallet. After all, its a lot easier to manage, say, 1000usd over the course of several months(or even years) than coughing up the entire sum at once.

snip.

My current setup is a shitty boxed set dell purchased around 6+years ago. Lol. I have plenty of tv's and a mediocre 17-19 inch monitor that came in the dell box set....again at LEAST 6+ years old. So,.... In so many words.....I'm basically purchasing everything from scratch. :/

That seems like a steep price for the setup. if you could get the seller to lower to 250/300 then it could be worth it, but I agree with Lucif3r, better do some research and acquire a piece at a time, in the end your PC could last close to 5 years. I intend on doing so myself by the end of the year, just waiting for the DirectX12 videocards to settle their ground.

Is it used? Because the price seems to be quite reasonable for a new setup . I bought my i3 for about the same price. Anyways that setup is good enough for 720p gaming except AC:Unity , GTA V and Witcher 3 everything else should not be a problem at 720p.
Buy this PC for now you can upgrade parts of it later.

that isn't that great of a GPU

Yeah that is true . But I don't think everyone needs a titan anyways. For that price I think the GPU is alright. But there maybe some better options in the same price range . You can get this card for only $170 well for me here it will cost more than 300 . 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131666&cm_re=r9_280-_-14-131-666-_-Product

Edited by Muhammad Rehan

Theres an enormous difference between a 650 and a Titan... There are a truckload of cards in between those 2 in all price ranges. I wouldnt settle for anything less than a 960, but would probably buy a 970. 

The 650 might be able to handle solitaire, but any recent game at any setting above the absolute minimum will be a complete disaster. Some wont even achieve playable framerates ever. Not only is the 600-series old, the x50 is generally crap, meant for desktop work.

So yeah, even if youre not a hardcore PC gamer, getting a somewhat decent GFX card for the occasional game is well worth it. 

I currently have a GTX770, and that one swallows everything just fine at max except for one minor detail - It only has 2GB VRAM, which unfortunately isnt enough for games such as GTA V and Witcher 3. The 970 have 4GB afaik, and is a great option today for a reasonable price. I think its in the pricerange on 250eur, which admittedly IS a quite high sum to cough up, especially if youre buying a complete PC. The 960 is around 150-200eur, and will do just fine for the occasional gaming if you can live with medium settings.

However, unless I get emo and decide otherwise, my 770 will last me years to come(Ive had it for 1 year now already). I had my old Radeon 5850 for 5 or 6 years before upgrading, same price range, and it still could play the newest games at playable framerates, but not good enough for my taste. The price range at its time was about the same as the 770. So, when calculating those ~250eur over a timespan of 5-6 years, it really isnt a lot of money anymore, compared to if you were one of those guys that change their GFX card at the same pace you change your underwear...

The PC you were asking about is already outdated, and wont last that much longer(2-3 years maybe, apart from the GFX card that shouldve been replaced 2 years ago), on top of being overpriced(imo).

I say look for another PC, maybe with a bit worse CPU but better GFX card, and then start successively upgrading it. Basically, look for a good base PC on which you can build upon.   

Imo the combination and individual components is "just not it" in every perspective (but my targets/goals also differ). Your goal is "desktop" which in my world can be as narrow as an internet/office/socialmedia box with some side-diversion of Patience/Freecell/Flappy Bird/Candy Crush Saga etc. Yes that setup will be usable for that.

Do yourself a big favour and get a nice case with proper powersupply a bit above your needs (a bigger case also means more margins to play with and huger volume of air)

The second stage I would recommend to buy in one go, motherboard, memory, CPU or the holy/highspeed trinity as I call them.

In short, what

The other components are imo more casefillers: cardreaders, BD-RW etc can easily implemented externally so they can be shared portable between all devices in your household (that is, if you still need to burn discs in this increasingly 'nomedia' era where you can just use netshares or flashsticks).

400 is a lot of money which can get you far on the road of /your specific needs/ - if chosen wisely - even if that includes playing FallOut 4 one day.

You need a beast PC only for some tasks
1. Playing modern games at 1080p(no matter how much you deny at 768p every game will work on that gpu 30+ except the horrible console ports)
2.Game development especially if you are trying to make the next Cry Engine or maybe using it to make a game.

For every other thing that PC is enough.

(no matter how much you deny at 768p every game will work on that gpu 30+ except the horrible console ports)

30 on 768p(???) with all real settings set as low as you possibly can, maybe. We are discussing a low-end, 4-5(dunno exactly) year old GFX card, with a whooping 1GB VRAM that wont be enough to even load some games...

If we were talking about an 850 or 950 I might've been inclined to agree with you. But if you seriously think a 650 can keep up even at the bare minimum of todays games, you are delusional and we will end that discussion here. I deal with enough crazies as it is already...

30 on 768p(???) with all real settings set as low as you possibly can, maybe. We are discussing a low-end, 4-5(dunno exactly) year old GFX card, with a whooping 1GB VRAM that wont be enough to even load some games...

If we were talking about an 850 or 950 I might've been inclined to agree with you. But if you seriously think a 650 can keep up even at the bare minimum of todays games, you are delusional and we will end that discussion here. I deal with enough crazies as it is already...

OK but that is just about opinions I don't think you ever have used a low-middle class gpu . No offence but I think nVidia skipped the 800 series for desktop gpus and 950 has not been released yet :P

Heh, TNT... I remember playing the leaked demo of Doom 3 on my Riva TNT2, with almost playable framerate(10-12 or something lol) :P

My 650 ti boost oc (2gb) seems good enough for me. Just want to sus out the overclocking. I can do my cpu but I've never done a gpu before. Any tutorials?

without a proper definition of "desktop" "usage" this topic is useless.Tetris runs fine on a 1GB VRAM card (or TNT Riva for that matter)

I thought I mentioned what I wanted out of it, but I realize I didnt. I want a computer good enough to play games on. I don't need 4k 159,000 fps, out of this world specs.....I just want something that will attempt to play most games decently, as well as some general computing....and I don't want to rob a bank to pay for it either. :)

Edited by Bigbones87

Buy an alienware alpha with an i7. Then buy a real case. Install the hardware and put a gtx 970 or 2 gtx 780s in it and you will be good. The 780s are still good and fairly cheap.

But this PC is pretty Meh. Its ok for a starter system. Upgrade the graphics for sure.

Buy an alienware alpha with an i7. Then buy a real case. Install the hardware and put a gtx 970 or 2 gtx 780s in it and you will be good. The 780s are still good and fairly cheap.

But this PC is pretty Meh. Its ok for a starter system. Upgrade the graphics for sure.

Absolutely quite cheap $900 for 2 gtx 780s and Alienware for $700+ then you can easily upgrade to a 4 way titan x sli or two r9 295 x2 and with 64gb RAM . Also you should upgrade your processor to a Xeon e5-2699.

Absolutely quite cheap $900 for 2 gtx 780s and Alienware for $700+ then you can easily upgrade to a 4 way titan x sli or two r9 295 x2 and with 64gb RAM . Also you should upgrade your processor to a Xeon e5-2699.

That's the new one. Im talking about the older one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J0ISHMQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?qid=1434092984&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_FMwebp_QL70&keywords=gtx+780

The Gtx 960 is only $200.

I was always told Alienware is hyped junk thats overpriced?

It is. Well, not "junk", but you get away a lot cheaper if you buy each part and build it yourself instead.

My PC is nothing special tbh(see the pc spec. thread), but it handles all games on the market more or less flawless. Replace my GTX770 with the newer GTX970 with 4GB vram(same price btw, 7xx-series is old and 9xx is its replacement) and you'll have a killer PC that will last many years.

Also note that my CPU is old as hell(iirc its 6 or 7 years now), but its STILL not a bottleneck. i7 etc may be nice, but they cost more than theyre worth for the causal player. I would go with AMD FX-series if I were building a complete PC on a budget, because they are more than enough for pretty much everything at a much lower cost than an i7. Yes - they ARE slower than an i7, but the difference in price makes up for it imo. And nothing is stopping you from replacing it later when you have some spare money.

edit: also, do yourself a favour, dont buy some cheap-ass 50usd motherboard, you'll regret it. Its better to cheap out on the CPU than the motherboard. A crap motherboard will cripple the entire PC, regardless if you buy the fastest i7 and run 3-way SLI Titans.

It is. Well, not "junk", but you get away a lot cheaper if you buy each part and build it yourself instead.

My PC is nothing special tbh(see the pc spec. thread), but it handles all games on the market more or less flawless. Replace my GTX770 with the newer GTX970 with 4GB vram(same price btw, 7xx-series is old and 9xx is its replacement) and you'll have a killer PC that will last many years.
Also note that my CPU is old as hell(iirc its 6 or 7 years now), but its STILL not a bottleneck. i7 etc may be nice, but they cost more than theyre worth for the causal player. I would go with AMD FX-series if I were building a complete PC on a budget, because they are more than enough for pretty much everything at a much lower cost than an i7. Yes - they ARE slower than an i7, but the difference in price makes up for it imo. And nothing is stopping you from replacing it later when you have some spare money.

edit: also, do yourself a favour, dont buy some cheap-ass 50usd motherboard, you'll regret it. Its better to cheap out on the CPU than the motherboard. A crap motherboard will cripple the entire PC, regardless if you buy the fastest i7 and run 3-way SLI Titans.

Amd's 9590 hardly competes against an i3 4130 in GTA V and many other games .
Don't buy an amd cpu for gaming.
I don't know what the 8 cores in many amd cpu's are for and overclocked at 4.0 ghz still slower than i5.
Amd 9590 is $230 intel i5 3570k is of the same price or cheaper and much better than amd.
Amd for budget , intel for gaming .

So someone very wise former Amd fan said that :
lol.gif  It's funny how my position has changed with experience of the chips, and time.

I find it very hard to recommend AMD CPU's now, unless you're solely focused on video editing/rendering/encoding and on a very strict budget. The AM3+ socket is essentially a dead-end, it won't be seeing any more updates in the future.

Also, I was previously very optimistic that games were going multi-threaded. It's been months since the new consoles released and there has been no change, so I'd recommend a quad core i5 over an 8 core FX. The fact of the matter is, the FX can only outperform an i5 in possibly 1 or 2 games. That's no reason to go with it, nor is hope that properly efficient multi-threaded workloads becoming the norm.

So, honestly. Grab something like an i5 4590 and a H97 motherboard, it will have you set and outperforming the FX for a long time coming.

Edited by Muhammad Rehan

If your goal is being cheap first (just a quick sample):

AMD based:

€ 68,95 - AMD Athlon X4 860K Boxed

€ 48,95 - MSI A78M-E45

€ 49,95 - Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU

€ 138,60 - Sapphire Dual-X R7 265 2GB GDDR5

€ 72,50 - Seagate ST1000DX001, 1TB SSHD

€ 30,95 - Cooler Master N300/KKN1 closed

€ 30,95 - Antec VP350P

------------------------

€ 440,85