Question

Hello everyone! I have some problems here with running GTA V . The game is stuttering/lagging and is far from payable even though I get constant 50+ fps but during driving and in some areas the game becomes unplayable. Has anyone found the solution to that.

11 answers to this question

Specs
CPU: i3 2120 

GPU: gtx 750
RAM: 4gb ( maybe the problem)
other things don't matter a lot.

Resolution is only 1366x768 so it should work right?
Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Edited by Muhammad Rehan

Yeah, your PC is, to be honest, absolutely crap and way to weak to enjoy GTA V on any sort of stable framerate. Heck, my X6 1100T, 770GTX, 16GB RAM and SSD is struggling with it sometimes...

You can try the various gfx mods that supposedly lowers the requirement, such as low-res grass and god knows everything. You'll end up with a game that looks worse than its last-gen counterpart though.

Probably the main problem is the i3 struggling. An i5 would be better but an i7 would be best for it. And a gtx 750 probably isn't best. A 780 or better would be best. And RAM isn't to important, should probably get 8.

Probably the main problem is the i3 struggling. An i5 would be better but an i7 would be best for it. And a gtx 750 probably isn't best. A 780 or better would be best. And RAM isn't to important, should probably get 8.

Actually I am only gaming at 1366x768 and getting playable frame rate even in the benchmark test does not goes below 40 but lagging and stuttering occurs sometimes . People with much better hardware are also having the issue but this was resolved in the 352.86 driver update solved the issue but I didn't uninstalled my old drivers before installing the new ones  that seem to  be causing the issue.

Actually I am only gaming at 1366x768 and getting playable frame rate even in the benchmark test does not goes below 40 but lagging and stuttering occurs sometimes . People with much better hardware are also having the issue but this was resolved in the 352.86 driver update solved the issue but I didn't uninstalled my old drivers before installing the new ones  that seem to  be causing the issue.

Yes the driver update really helped a lot. I dont remember what version I had before, but after I updated I gained... wait for it... 20fps on average. I could barely believe my eyes lol.

The stuttering, at least for me, only occurs when the game is streaming new data such as cars and random events(example, you enter an area where a lot of cars are, and at the same time a random police chase occurs, then I get some stuttering sometimes).

Also, after I upgraded from 8GB to 16GB RAM the stuttering is a lot less frequent and gave me a a boost average of 10fps(as well as allowing me to keep chrome open, and my 2nd monitor doesnt freeze anymore when playing in fullscreen).

So 4GB is a very low amount of RAM for a game like this. Ive seen the game peak RAM usage of roughly 3.5GB, which in your case would only leave 500MB for the system and background apps - which is not enough by a long shot. The slightest load in a background program will directly interfere with your gameplay, with stuttering as a result.

RAM is cheap these days, so I definitely recommend upgrading your RAM to at least 8GB. Your whole system will run a lot smoother. I bought my initial 8GB(2x4GB) ~4 years ago for roughly 150eur. When I bought another 2(2x4GB) sticks of the same type a few weeks ago I paid 60eur incl. shipping. And my RAM is(or was, 4 years ago) high-end sticks capable of OC'ing like crazy(I used to run them at 2200Mhz, 1600Mhz stock, with tight timings), not just some random sticks without cooling etc.

So yeah, RAM is cheap these days...

What settings are you running the game at? Lowest possible or?

Yes the driver update really helped a lot. I dont remember what version I had before, but after I updated I gained... wait for it... 20fps on average. I could barely believe my eyes lol.

The stuttering, at least for me, only occurs when the game is streaming new data such as cars and random events(example, you enter an area where a lot of cars are, and at the same time a random police chase occurs, then I get some stuttering sometimes).

Also, after I upgraded from 8GB to 16GB RAM the stuttering is a lot less frequent and gave me a a boost average of 10fps(as well as allowing me to keep chrome open, and my 2nd monitor doesnt freeze anymore when playing in fullscreen).

So 4GB is a very low amount of RAM for a game like this. Ive seen the game peak RAM usage of roughly 3.5GB, which in your case would only leave 500MB for the system and background apps - which is not enough by a long shot. The slightest load in a background program will directly interfere with your gameplay, with stuttering as a result.

RAM is cheap these days, so I definitely recommend upgrading your RAM to at least 8GB. Your whole system will run a lot smoother. I bought my initial 8GB(2x4GB) ~4 years ago for roughly 150eur. When I bought another 2(2x4GB) sticks of the same type a few weeks ago I paid 60eur incl. shipping. And my RAM is(or was, 4 years ago) high-end sticks capable of OC'ing like crazy(I used to run them at 2200Mhz, 1600Mhz stock, with tight timings), not just some random sticks without cooling etc.

So yeah, RAM is cheap these days...

What settings are you running the game at? Lowest possible or?

I am running the game at high settings , mostly I get 50+ fps but some stuttering occurs when driving sometimes it completely stops for a few second then jumps again to 50 also even if I play at 800x600 the issue does not seem to be solved . I will be adding some amount of RAM but not now , even though I have the money I am not independent enough to buy anything I want . I recently bought the gfx card for $155 so I won't be asking my parents soon(gaming is a waste of time , effects eyesight and diverts attention from studies etc) . 

Okey. Yes, resolution doesnt matter much, until you go beyond 1080p.

What you can do, if you havent already, is set the shadows to lowest setting. That setting makes an enormous difference. Also lowering the extended draw distance helps a lot, as well as population/vehicle variation. Those settings, with the exception of the shadows, doesnt really affect the visuals all that much. You can make up that loss by using one of the many ENB/SweetFX mods available.

The stuttering is probably due to RAM starvation. Ive noticed when I get stutter, the RAM used by the game peaks quite a lot.

I dont remember if I said it already, but my stuttering got a lot less frequent when I upgraded my RAM, and I suspect the main cause of the remaining stuttering in my case is due to the stubborn donkey between keyboard and chair  :TV Junkie:

Also, tell your parents to get out of the 80's already ;) The eyesight-thing is a thing of the past, unless you sit with your nose against the screen with full brightness.

Okey. Yes, resolution doesnt matter much, until you go beyond 1080p.

What you can do, if you havent already, is set the shadows to lowest setting. That setting makes an enormous difference. Also lowering the extended draw distance helps a lot, as well as population/vehicle variation. Those settings, with the exception of the shadows, doesnt really affect the visuals all that much. You can make up that loss by using one of the many ENB/SweetFX mods available.

The stuttering is probably due to RAM starvation. Ive noticed when I get stutter, the RAM used by the game peaks quite a lot.

I dont remember if I said it already, but my stuttering got a lot less frequent when I upgraded my RAM, and I suspect the main cause of the remaining stuttering in my case is due to the stubborn donkey between keyboard and chair  :TV Junkie:

Also, tell your parents to get out of the 80's already ;) The eyesight-thing is a thing of the past, unless you sit with your nose against the screen with full brightness.

Yeah you are probably right and well I maybe need the RAM now anyways will get it ASAP . Also I enabled adaptive V-Sync seems to have helped a bit. For now  I will be sticking to AC Black Flag anyways this game does not have the charm that vice city or san andreas had. 

Yeah I have already told them that medically there is no evidence of any long term eye damage by using computers .

But their arguments remain that it wastes time and diverts attention but I am free for a few months before college starts hence the ideal time for playing some games .