Nyko Data Bank Up For Pre Order

• GregoryRasputin

On Amazon you can Pre Order the Nyko Data Bank, which is released on the 9th of June,
 The device lets you add a 3.5" HDD to your PS4 and whilst i can see the benefits when it comes to price, i am not quite sure i can say the same for speed, here are some details for those interested:

ZM7wFNL.png

Conveniently upgrade your PlayStation 4 hard-drive space.
The Data Bank for the PlayStation 4 allows for use of any 3.5'' hard drive in lieu of the stock 2.5'' hard drive.

Simply remove the top cover of the PS4 and the internal drive by removing one screw with the included screw driver.
Then you can snap the Data Bank into place. Once installed the databank allows you to use any standard 3.5" drive which are less expensive at higher capacities than the 2.5" drives inherently supported by the PS4.

The unit also includes a front facing LED indicator which illustrates when the PlayStation4 is accessing or saving content from the hard drive.

Official Website

If you are interested in buying it, you can get it for $39.99 here, however i strongly recommend you watch this video out first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7X5LZKQUg

Looks handy, if you want a clip together solution. Personally, I'd just go for a DIY solution with a seperate enclosure and PSU as mentioned in the second video.

It's taking the power from the mains though, not from the PS4's PSU (that adapter is really just saving you needing a second mains plug/socket). Although I would consider drilling some speed holes in the Nyko enclosure to allow some air to flow in.

Edited by Mistawes

1x 1.75 PS4 | 1x 3.10 PS4 | 1x Slim 4k OFW | 4x Slim CFW | 2x PHAT CFW | 2x CECHC CEX2DEX

1x X-Bone | 1x Jasper 256 SMC+Halo case | 2x Jasper 16 RGH | 1x XD mod Slim RGH Matte+Chrome+ROL RGLoader/Freeboot/Retail | 1x Slim RGH+ROL

OnePlus 2 + Bamboo cover | Nexus 7 2012

possible alot of currupt data.. if the power supply misfires and the data shuts off for even a sec or 2 during saving or loading (magically leaving the ps4 on or restarting.) just to see that you have to format the Hdd..

(guess we'll have to wait & see)

Edited by tangotnt

• Founding Member

5 minutes of repetions :/

externalising can be done with a 1 euro cable and a eSATA station/enclosure, no need for a hunchback PS4...

• Upvote 2

·~øØ PSdevwiki.com - Your number 1 source, Share and expand, knowledge Øø~·

5 minutes of repetions :/

externalising can be done with a 1 euro cable and a eSATA station/enclosure, no need for a hunchback PS4...

You mean those Dock station?

Nothing Is True Everything Is Permitted

• Developer

And I tought it looked ugly as fuck before .... -.-

I too would opt for an external drive with a separate power supply, it makes me feel better. I have two of them in my entertainment center, one for my PS3 and another for my Wii. I don't even know they're there cause they're out of sight.

• Founding Member

You mean those Dock station?

That is what an eSATA station is, yes ;)

• News Editor

I too would opt for an external drive with a separate power supply, it makes me feel better. I have two of them in my entertainment center, one for my PS3 and another for my Wii. I don't even know they're there cause they're out of sight.

in all honesty, i do not believe that what the reviewer guy said was true. the heating part i do agree with but the power supply part i do not.. let me explain

the power suply is not sucking any more power from the ps4 itself, rather it is sucking the power from the power mains, since the current has not yet hit the transformer built into the ps4, therefore it is catching the current as it is still ac, and the "add-on pack" must be converting it to DC within the pack. correct me if i am wrong but, in my opinion the way that he has it set up is essentially acting as a "Double adapter". it is the same as if you would put a double adapter on a power socket and plug the ps4 into 1 socket and the hard drive into the other. like i said before, the docking station is drawing power before it is converted to DC therefore i believe that it is acting as nothing more then a double adapter and would not harm the system (power wise)

BUT i do not like the heating/ventilation. with all that free space at the front you would think they may have put a cheep fan to suck some air out but what can you do. perhaps some constructive criticism?  

• Upvote 1

PS3:                                                                                                                                       Switch:

HOW TO CONVERT FROM CEX TO DEX                                                                             How To | Install the HomeBrew Launcher With FTP on the switch

HOW TO INSTALL NEW REBUG CFW OR ANY CFW

HOW TO INSTALL CUSTOM XMB WAVES

HOW TO USE CUSTOM PSN BALL LOGO

PS4:                                                                                                                                       PS2:

[Tutorial] How to gain FULL FTP ACCESS TO PS4 on 4.05                                             How to | Install Free MC Boot on almost any PS2 (slim included)

[Tutorial] Advanced ★Debug Settings for PS4 on 4.05

[TUTORIAL] HOW TO | Create PS2 PKG Files for PS4 (PS2 Classics)

[Tutorial] Play NES and Master System Games on your PS4

[Tutorial] Create your own Custom Themes for your Hacked PS4 - PART 1

[Tutorial] Dump Ps4 games on 5.05 and create Fake Packages (Works With ESP8266 Chip)

If i helped you feel free to buy me a coffee :) just hit the tip button

Meh, you dont even need an eSATA station... Just buy a sata extension cord and wire it outside of the case to a lose HDD, done. Pretty? No. But fully functional.

872daeaf9d5ccbb7d98bb4fef4246f6e9da5ddcf

Edited by zappala98

• News Editor

@lucif3r i believe that would now be harmful towards the system as a 3.5 inch drive would draw more power then the 2.5 and therefore would have insufficient power using just the systems power suply or otherwise damadge the internal transformer because of the overdraw

Edited by zapptheman

PS3:                                                                                                                                       Switch:

HOW TO CONVERT FROM CEX TO DEX                                                                             How To | Install the HomeBrew Launcher With FTP on the switch

PS4:                                                                                                                                       PS2:

[Tutorial] How to gain FULL FTP ACCESS TO PS4 on 4.05                                             How to | Install Free MC Boot on almost any PS2 (slim included)

[Tutorial] Dump Ps4 games on 5.05 and create Fake Packages (Works With ESP8266 Chip)

• Founding Member

The issue is not current, but no 12V existance at all. That is why an external supply is needed, as documented on the externalisation page on ps3devwiki.com

e.g.:

• 1TB 3.5" HDS21010CLA32 HDD : 5V 450mA / 12V 700mA
  • 1TB 2.5" ST1000LM014 SSHD : 5V 700mA
  • Upvote 1

• News Editor

The issue is not current, but no 12V existance at all. That is why an external supply is needed, as documented on the externalisation page on ps3devwiki.com

e.g.:

• 1TB 3.5" HDS21010CLA32 HDD : 5V 450mA / 12V 700mA
  • 1TB 2.5" ST1000LM014 SSHD : 5V 700mA

and technically this project by nyko is using a separate power supply to power the hard drive, it's just feeding from the same outlet. 

• Founding Member

and technically this project by nyko is using a separate power supply to power the hard drive, it's just feeding from the same outlet.

And so does my eSATA station in my first comment...

Keep in mind that the original side discussion was using extendercables /without additional 12V supply/ (Lucif3r) and you babbling about current draw over the SATA powerconnector (and Lucif3r did not exclude his statement to 3.5"/5.25" devices - he could be talking about externalising a 3TB 2.5" HDD)

In fact, lets take the specs of a nice 750GB*4platter one:

Toshiba MQ03ABB300, 3TB 2.5" HDD (SATA-600)

Supply voltage: 5 V ±5 %

Power Consumption (Read / Write) : 1.70 W Typ. (340 mA)

Power Consumption (Low Power Idle) : 0.70 W Typ. (140 mA

Energy Consumption Efficiency / Category Name : 0.000234 / J

http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/ap-en/product/storage-products/specialty/mq03abbxxx.html - SKU ID: MQ03ABB300

The PS3 has no issue powering my 5V 700mA (3.5W) SSHD. It comes with 5V 700mA (3.5W) / 5V 850mA (4,25W) from factory, it will certainly have no issue powering half of that.

No one in this topic ever denied that the Nyko has its own powersupply feeded from mains in a sealed plastic humpbackwhale monstrocity so it cannot vent (in fact, it was repeated over and over and over again, both in writing, in video and in images [hint: that Nyko *meh* is also on psdevwiki).

• News Editor

And so does my eSATA station in my first comment...

Keep in mind that the original side discussion was using extendercables /without additional 12V supply/ (Lucif3r) and you babbling about current draw over the SATA powerconnector (and Lucif3r did not exclude his statement to 3.5"/5.25" devices - he could be talking about externalising a 3TB 2.5" HDD)

In fact, lets take the specs of a nice 750GB*4platter one:

The PS3 has no issue powering my 5V 700mA (3.5W) SSHD. It comes with 5V 700mA (3.5W) / 5V 850mA (4,25W) from factory, it will certainly have no issue powering half of that.

No one in this topic ever denied that the Nyko has its own powersupply feeded from mains in a sealed plastic humpbackwhale monstrocity so it cannot vent (in fact, it was repeated over and over and over again, both in writing, in video and in images [hint: that Nyko *meh* is also on psdevwiki).

haha yeah man, i get you. i wasn't defending the hardware, just commenting on what the guy in the video reviewing it was saying and how he said it was bad. the guy in the video did mention that it would damage the ps4 because it would draw to much power from the system and i was just clarifying that what he said was incorrect. i wasn't disagreeing with you :)

Hm, isnt the 12V present in the SATA powerplug on the PS4? Thats a bit weird if it isnt...

• Founding Member

haha yeah man, i get you. i wasn't defending the hardware, just commenting on what the guy in the video reviewing it was saying and how he said it was bad. the guy in the video did mention that it would damage the ps4 because it would draw to much power from the system and i was just clarifying that what he said was incorrect. i wasn't disagreeing with you :)

Yeah, that remark about "it takes power from the PS4" was such bullshit it cringed my panties for the 5 minutes he repeated it. xD

Hm, isnt the 12V present in the SATA powerplug on the PS4? Thats a bit weird if it isnt...

No, Sata power specifications state connectors designed for 2.5" devices pin 13/14/15 is N/C, on slimline and micro connector is N/A :

wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Power_connectors

(connector configuration 25A1 in technick.net/pagefiles/serialata10a.pdf)

As such, 2.5" harddrives will only use 5V and optionally 3.3V

• Upvote 1

Weird... The few things I have thats designed for 2.5" SATA(my primary laptop and my 2 TV-boxes) have the 12V connected. The TV boxes are converted(read: make new mounting and hook it up) to 3.5" since a few years back(cheap upgrade). The laptop I know because the HDD died it in once, and I didnt have a spare 2.5" so I used a 3.5" while waiting for a new 2.5". I havent checked the PS3's, but I will assume they are NC there.

• Founding Member

The load times depend on the drive used, and my bet is that they linked to the wrong drive (kit: STBD2000201 / OEM: ST2000DM002) or are doing something else fishy...

The load times they measured correspond to an even slower drive than the original 5400 RPM, 8MB cache 2.5" one and conflict with the results other people got when externalising the PS4 with a faster rotating drive, higher platter density that has bigger cache and a smaller average latency

PS4 original:

- hdd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/664/Hitachi-HTS545050A7E380 (334th)

- hdd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/2104/ST500LM012-HN-M500MBB (346th)

Seagate 2TB 3.5" replacement:

- hdd.userbenchmark.com/Seagate-Barracuda-720014-2TB/Rating/1619 (17th)

Get it?

• Upvote 1

Its quite impossible for a drive to work slower, when its using the exact same interface with nothing in between. Had it been a SATA->IDE adapter or something, then yes, it couldve been affected.

So the only reasonable reason its slower in their... "tests"... is simply due to them using some 10 year old half-dead HDD.

The PPPF/PPGB(Price Per Performance(I made that up)/Price Per GB) has and probably always will be better than a 2.5". 3.5" uses more power(generally) and operate at a higher voltage, which by nature allows easier performance gains. 2.5" are designed for laptops and other smaller applications, which means they are more energy efficient and operate at a lower voltage. A modern 2.5" doesnt use more than 500mA, which is why most 2.5" can be directly driven from a single USB port. As for the capacity, 3.5" is physically larger which obviously allows physically bigger plates, which means higher capacity per plate without using ultra-sensitive arms - which means higher cost.

I dont know the exact numbers for the power consumption on both types of HDD's, nor do I care. But a 3.5" will always be at least as fast as a 2.5" in the same price range, and have higher capacity. Strictly talking about mechanical drives, obviously.

Going back to the "10 year old half-broken HDD" I mentioned at the start... I bet you 100bucks my old Raptor 10krpm, one of the fastest consumer SATA HDD's at its time, is a truckload slower than the stock 2.5" in the PS4.  :P

Just fun info, when it was new it managed ~80MB/s random write, compared to an average of 50MB/s on 'normal' HDDs(at the time)... Before I threw it out of the PC it was down to 15-20MB/s :P, meaning it would be on-par with a PS3... yeah... Mechanical drives dont age well ;>

• Founding Member

correction to Lucif3r: 500mA -> 850mA (see my previous post where I mentioned several 2.5" ones) ;)

esp. in the case of USB 2.0 with splitter cable or USB 3.0 which already allows for higher currents (ofcourse if they are using 500mA or less than they would be listed as single bus powered)

Ok, but the majority powers fine from a single usb2 (~500mA) connector. Heck, even the ancient 40GB one from my CECHH works fine from just one connetor. Of course that varies between external cases as well, depending on how much power the sata->usb chip eats.