GregoryRasputin

Microsoft Can Remotely Disable Your Xbox One

Yesterday the internet was filled with leaked video of the beta for the Gears Of War remake on the Xbox One, now understandably when you enter into a beta, you do so under a Non Disclosure Agreement(NDA), but some people leak video and images of beta's for a little bit of that internet epeen life and understandably this pisses off the companies that trust gamers with these Beta's and yes of course as expected, Microsoft are quite angry and have suspended the Xbox Live accounts of those responsible and rendered their Xbox Ones unusable.

cB8ksP3.png

This was revealed on Kotaku, who received an email regarding the subject, here is a small quote from that:

Now, new wording is about to reach the community regarding this particular event. The nature of the leak having had occurred through Xbox One, actually also went against the Microsoft EULA, which is agreed upon when creating an Xbox LIVE account, or any other type of Microsoft account. This being said, as per that agreement with the testers in fault, Microsoft also permanently disabled their Xbox LIVE accounts (as well as other suspected accounts present on their Xbox One kits) and temporarily blocked all of their Xbox One privileges – meaning that for a period of time which Microsoft decides on depending on the severity of the offense, their Xbox One is entirely unusable.

Source

Sucks to be the guy that leaks one of those videos.

Microsoft could be sued for this, regardless of EULA. This is most likely illegal...

Sent from my OnePlus One

So what do all xbox 1 games require Internet connection? I wouldn't buy one of those if that was the case then.

Xbox brick... lol

Like the ps4 (at times)

Well this type of stunt sure is going to help XBOX one sales lol.  

If they get away with this on video game consoels. Whats next your PC..

PC it would be illegal for them to Disable the System but game console (that uses PC parts) it's okay?

I guess its ok because its "their" hardware, "their" device, "their" OS etc etc. On your average PC the only thing thats "theirs" is the OS, and a PC isnt "closed hardware", so rendering a PC unusable would cause a lot more legal issues than rendering "their own" product unusable. Not saying either one of them is legal or right though.

Also, you are aware about the vast amount of information Windows sends to M$, right?(Unless you block it with 3rd party stuff/"hacks").

I guess its ok because its "their" hardware, "their" device, "their" OS etc etc. On your average PC the only thing thats "theirs" is the OS, and a PC isnt "closed hardware", so rendering a PC unusable would cause a lot more legal issues than rendering "their own" product unusable. Not saying either one of them is legal or right though.

Also, you are aware about the vast amount of information Windows sends to M$, right?(Unless you block it with 3rd party stuff/"hacks").

I was aware that windows sends stuff to ms but don't know what or how to block. Can anyone give some good links.

What do they do with it?

It's criminal behaviour from a bunch of grown up kids...c'mon now...perm bricking people's box's for leaking a demo..it's crazy

neither of those silly consoles are entering this house...

If it's thier hardware, Why do i have to purchase it with MY MONEY, Why do i then have to pay them to fix "thier so called" Equipment when it fails.

Its not a closed system, IMO there is no such thing. ONLY way that applies if you are LEASING the equipment and that is not the case.

If it's thier hardware, Why do i have to purchase it with MY MONEY, Why do i then have to pay them to fix "thier so called" Equipment when it fails.

Its not a closed system, IMO there is no such thing. ONLY way that applies if you are LEASING the equipment and that is not the case.

You buy the hardware, you lease the license that holds it together and makes it run.

Microsoft could be sued for this, regardless of EULA. This is most likely illegal...

Sent from my OnePlus One

nope...

but some people leak video and images of beta's for a little bit of that internet epeen life and understandably this pisses off the companies

im pretty sure that thoes testers are not allowed to leak any information or images to the public.

nope...

im pretty sure that thoes testers are not allowed to leak any information or images to the public.

That doesn't matter. Microsoft can't just break someone's property, regardless of what they say in their EULA.

Sent from my OnePlus One

They dont break anyones property, they disable their software for a specific time, which just so happens also causes the xbone to become useless - Just like your PC without any OS.

This is nothing new for Microsoft and their consoles. They did the same with the 360. If you got a 360 from microsoft for the discounted rate, but failed to meet their insanely priced Live agreement that you agreed to by taking the cheaper 360, then they would disable your xbox. I know quite a few of these that were disabled, but were later turned into RGH consoles ;)

Now, disabling a console because you are butthurt that someone leaked some footage (that I still do not believe is real, it looks identical to the old PC version) is just fucking shit.

Once again mentioning the 360, they did ban the guy that posted the Halo 4 achievement list early. Banned him, he bought a new xbox, and they banned that one too simply by signing into that old account.

Point of this post you ask..... Microsoft is every bit as bad as Sony when it comes to their consoles. You like to believe what you worked and paid for is yours? Well bad news.... it isn't

You buy the hardware, you lease the license that holds it together and makes it run.

Well the way i look at it you buy the console for all the fancy features printed on the box :)

No where in those fancy boxes say we can and will disable your console if you HELP PROMOTE OUR GAMES :) ...

Point of this post you ask..... Microsoft is every bit as bad as Sony when it comes to their consoles. You like to believe what you worked and paid for is yours? Well bad news.... it isn't

In this world today it more less and illusion you own most things.  Home/Property ect.... 

You could for example have a House that is 10 million PAID for (wouldnt that be nice). but you fail to pay that property tax on a home you already paid sales tax and already were taxed on your income to buy that home. They can seieze it all even if its a low amount.  That is not right and proves you do not own anything. Obviously this varies by country to country. 

Edited by STLcardsWS

well but it is so. like in a other country some mafiosi is hunted and as the austrian country recognized that this guy have a House here, they simple to engrossed it and declared it as their own.

Well the way i look at it you buy the console for all the fancy features printed on the box :)

No where in those fancy boxes say we can and will disable your console if you HELP PROMOTE OUR GAMES :) ...

In this world today it more less and illusion you own most things.  Home/Property ect.... 

You could for example have a House that is 10 million PAID for (wouldnt that be nice). but you fail to pay that property tax on a home you already paid sales tax and already were taxed on your income to buy that home. They can seieze it all even if its a low amount.  That is not right and proves you do not own anything. Obviously this varies by country to country. 

If you looked into old law based on constitutions etc. you'd be amazed at all the "scams" governments pull over us. I know a bloke who's right into it and explains a bit (most of it's way over my head). Even our names in the database are like registered business'. Commerce law - It's how they control the masses. The worst thing we can do is have a birth certificate. Over time they've gained control because it's too complicated and we don't know any better.

If you looked into old law based on constitutions etc. you'd be amazed at all the "scams" governments pull over us. I know a bloke who's right into it and explains a bit (most of it's way over my head). Even our names in the database are like registered business'. Commerce law - It's how they control the masses. The worst thing we can do is have a birth certificate. Over time they've gained control because it's too complicated and we don't know any better.

This has to be done to control the masses and is absolutely necessary and nothing about which one should complain . 

This has to be done to control the masses and is absolutely necessary and nothing about which one should complain . 

Depends on the situation. There are some extreme "sovereign citizens" out there but in many cases they have a point. Obviously, we don't want anarchy. I don't think you can make a blanket statement on it.