Thibobo

Could team rebug add this option in REX firmwares?

hey guys!

i've got several customers that love the rebug rex firmwares especially 4.70rex

they asked me if it was possible to add this like info-thing like on dex in the xmb corner it says; Connected from: x.x.x.x

HostName: x.x.x.x

IP Address: x.x.x.x

thanks in forward!

Edited by thibobo

sure can be ;)

sure can be ;)

how? :) , is there a pkg file for it? 

it is a simple patch into a driver, well @ least as i have checked it.

xmb_plugin.sprx [DEX]

IP Address

Original Pattern

49 00 50 00 20 00 41 00 64 00 64 00 72 00 65 00 73 00 73 00 3A 00 25 00 64 00 2E 00 25 00 64 00 2E 00 25 00 64 00 2E 00 25 00 64

Patched

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Connected From / Host Name

Original Pattern

43 6F 6E 6E 65 63 74 65 64 20 46 72 6F 6D 3A 25 64 2E 25 64 2E 25 64 2E 25 64 0A 48 6F 73 74 4E 61 6D 65 3A 25 73 0A 00

Patched

0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
[21:58:38] Joon Choi: Share the info if you wish
[21:58:42] Joon Choi: nothing new
Joon Choi

hey guys!

i've got several customers that love the rebug rex firmwares especially 4.70rex

they asked me if it was possible to add this like info-thing like on dex in the xmb corner it says; Connected from: x.x.x.x

HostName: x.x.x.x

IP Address: x.x.x.x

thanks in forward!

I was actually thinking about that and have that function on a cex FW. That would be a treat.

xmb_plugin.sprx [DEX]

IP Address

Original Pattern

49 00 50 00 20 00 41 00 64 00 64 00 72 00 65 00 73 00 73 00 3A 00 25 00 64 00 2E 00 25 00 64 00 2E 00 25 00 64 00 2E 00 25 00 64

Patched

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Connected From / Host Name

Original Pattern

43 6F 6E 6E 65 63 74 65 64 20 46 72 6F 6D 3A 25 64 2E 25 64 2E 25 64 2E 25 64 0A 48 6F 73 74 4E 61 6D 65 3A 25 73 0A 00

Patched

0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
[21:58:38] Joon Choi: Share the info if you wish
[21:58:42] Joon Choi: nothing new
Joon Choi

do you know where i can get the xmb_plugin.sprx ? & do they all work on 4.70 rebug cex or rebug dex? & i need to place it in /dev_flash/vsh/module/xmb_plugin.sprx right?

do you know where i can get the xmb_plugin.sprx ? & do they all work on 4.70 rebug cex or rebug dex? & i need to place it in /dev_flash/vsh/module/xmb_plugin.sprx right?

Think just modifying them back to the orginal before the patches should work

I dont know the offsets tough try the dev wiki

Think just modifying them back to the orginal before the patches should work

I dont know the offsets tough try the dev wiki

so a 4.30 xmb_plugin.sprx wont work on 4.70 dex/cex rebug?

so a 4.30 xmb_plugin.sprx wont work on 4.70 dex/cex rebug?

Probebly not safer to use things closer to rhe current firmware

But its simple just copy the fike drom dev_flash to usb and patch it back and upload it again to the ps3 plus if something does go wrong as far as I know you can simply reinstall your firmware from recovery

Edited by TheDarkprogramer

Probebly not safer to use things closer to rhe current firmware

But its simple just copy the fike drom dev_flash to usb and patch it back and upload it again to the ps3 plus if something does go wrong as far as I know you can simply reinstall your firmware from recovery

imma sound dumb but how do i patch it? if something goes wrong that's no problem i can easily unbrick my ps3.

imma sound dumb but how do i patch it? if something goes wrong that's no problem i can easily unbrick my ps3.

HxD(or any hex editing software) but I think your gonna need the offsets else you will be searching till next month for the correct offsets ....

Headig off now so someone else should be able to pickup here or ill be back tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

HxD(or any hex editing software) but I think your gonna need the offsets else you will be searching till next month for the correct offsets ....

Headig off now so someone else should be able to pickup here or ill be back tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

ok cool :) i'll do some research , and maybe we can talk sometime via skype to learn this? when exams are done (23june)

Using files from a firmware version.... in a different firmware version is a bad idea

As example, taking a file from and old firmware to use in a new firmware just because the old firmware had a nice feature... the most probable thing is it will not work, so better dont spend time trying it

Also, because we are talking about cfw's... and every cfw could have different patches... and because cfw devs usually doesnt gives detailed info about all the patches... this means is not easy to know if a file from a cfw has been patched and wich patch was used (to know is needed to make a better analysis of the file, comparing with official firmware and other firmwares, etc...)

So the way to not lose time and go directlly to the point is to take the file you want to modify from your firmware (from dev_flash)... this way you are 100% sure the file is compatible with your firmware

First thing is to make a copy of the file from dev_flash and move it to your PC... for simplicity place it in root of C:/ and rename it to add "original" to the name, this way:

C:/xmb_plugin_orig.sprx

Then you need to decrypt it (by decrypting it you are converting it to .elf), there are lot of tools, but the classic scetool.exe (command line) is simple enought for decrypting, the command you need to use is:

scetool.exe -d xmb_plugin_orig.sprx xmb_plugin_orig.elf

The only thing you need to remember is the "-d" (for decrypting)... after it appears the name of the original .sprx (input) ... and then the name of the .elf that will be created (output)

At this point you have 2 files in C:/ root

C:/xmb_plugin_orig.elf

Open the .elf in a hexeditor, like HxD, ultraedit, etc... and use the "search" functions to search for the pattern of bytes given (is the whole area you are going to patch)

If the search returns a success and the pattern is found this means all the steps you made before was correct :)

Then patch it, and save the file in C:/ root as xmb_plugin_mod.elf, and you have 3 files in C:/ root:

C:/xmb_plugin_mod.elf

Verify xmb_plugin_orig.elf and xmb_plugin_mod.elf has EXACTLY the same number of bytes (by looking for his size with right click of the mouse---> properties in windows)

If they dont have the same number of bytes you did wrong the previous step (you added the patch instead of replacing so the file increased his size, thats bad)

Now the last step, and the most complicated (because is not standard, depends of the type of file you are rebuilding) is to encrypt it

scetool.exe (command line) can do it perfectly, of course, but needs a long command line i dont even remember, instead you can use some of the tools with a GUI, personally i like "MakeSelf by CMX" because it has a feature to clone settings

MakeSelf GUI is complicated to understand because it has lot of settings that are needed to be there... but not much people understand in detail what all means (like me)

Basically... you need to tell to the tool wich file you want to encrypt (the xmb_plugin_mod.elf) and the name of the output file that is going to be created (xmb_plugin_mod.sprx) and the file that will be used as a layout to take the settings from it (xmb_plugin_orig.sprx)

Select the files in that order, and when you select the original file you will realize how all the settings of the GUI changes automatically... after that you can click in "build" and you will have 4 files in C:/ root

C:/xmb_plugin_mod.sprx

Then copy xmb_plugin_mod.sprx to an usb drive (or to other path on your pc), rename it to xmb_plugin.sprx, and move it to PS3 by overwriting the original

Edited by sandungas

Using files from a firmware version.... in a different firmware version is a bad idea

As example, taking a file from and old firmware to use in a new firmware just because the old firmware had a nice feature... the most probable thing is it will not work, so better dont spend time trying it

Also, because we are talking about cfw's... and every cfw could have different patches... and because cfw devs usually doesnt gives detailed info about all the patches... this means is not easy to know if a file from a cfw has been patched and wich patch was used (to know is needed to make a better analysis of the file, comparing with official firmware and other firmwares, etc...)

So the way to not lose time and go directlly to the point is to take the file you want to modify from your firmware (from dev_flash)... this way you are 100% sure the file is compatible with your firmware

First thing is to make a copy of the file from dev_flash and move it to your PC... for simplicity place it in root of C:/ and rename it to add "original" to the name, this way:

Then you need to decrypt it (by decrypting it you are converting it to .elf), there are lot of tools, but the classic scetool.exe (command line) is simple enought for decrypting, the command you need to use is:

scetool.exe -d xmb_plugin_orig.sprx xmb_plugin_orig.elf

The only thing you need to remember is the "-d" (for decrypting)... after it appears the name of the original .sprx (input) ... and then the name of the .elf that will be created (output)

At this point you have 2 files in C:/ root

Open the .elf in a hexeditor, like HxD, ultraedit, etc... and use the "search" functions to search for the pattern of bytes given (is the whole area you are going to patch)

If the search returns a success and the pattern is found this means all the steps you made before was correct :)

Then patch it, and save the file in C:/ root as xmb_plugin_mod.elf, and you have 3 files in C:/ root:

Verify xmb_plugin_orig.elf and xmb_plugin_mod.elf has EXACTLY the same number of bytes (by looking for his size with right click of the mouse---> properties in windows)

If they dont have the same number of bytes you did wrong the previous step (you added the patch instead of replacing so the file increased his size, thats bad)

Now the last step, and the most complicated (because is not standard, depends of the type of file you are rebuilding) is to encrypt it

scetool.exe (command line) can do it perfectly, of course, but needs a long command line i dont even remember, instead you can use some of the tools with a GUI, personally i like "MakeSelf by CMX" because it has a feature to clone settings

MakeSelf GUI is complicated to understand because it has lot of settings that are needed to be there... but not much people understand in detail what all means (like me)

Basically... you need to tell to the tool wich file you want to encrypt (the xmb_plugin_mod.elf) and the name of the output file that is going to be created (xmb_plugin_mod.sprx) and the file that will be used as a layout to take the settings from it (xmb_plugin_orig.sprx)

Select the files in that order, and when you select the original file you will realize how all the settings of the GUI changes automatically... after that you can click in "build" and you will have 4 files in C:/ root

C:/xmb_plugin_mod.sprx

Then copy xmb_plugin_mod.sprx to an usb drive (or to other path on your pc), rename it to xmb_plugin.sprx, and move it to PS3 by overwriting the original

thanx for this tutorial!

also thedarkprogramer was willing to help me trough skype! 

i'll let you know if it worked or not ;) 

When you get used to the method there is a another patch found by mysis some days ago (but still not used in any cfw) to remove the epilepsy warning

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Patches#disable_epilepsy_message

I think is a "must have" and probably will be included in all next cfw's

When you get used to the method there is a another patch found by mysis some days ago (but still not used in any cfw) to remove the epilepsy warning

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Patches#disable_epilepsy_message

I think is a "must have" and probably will be included in all next cfw's

yes indeed would be very cool, because the epilipsy message sucks lol