AnneliesTheComposer

Valve Enables Mod Authors to Sell Mods

Question

In an attempt to "help support the incredible creative work being done by mod makers," Valve has enabled mod authors to sell their work through Steam's Workshop. Outrage ensued. 

Before I express my complete displeasure of Valve's decision, allow me to first go into detail as to why this is wrong fundamentally. Valve offers a 24 hour refund period, however, it can take longer than 24 hours to properly configure multiple mods especially for those that don't have time to sit at their computers for extended periods of time. If a user buys 20 mods, troubleshooting these mods to work together can potentially take days, and by the time you get them working, you may decide that you don't like them. In addition, most The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim mods require Skyrim Script Extender, a third-party application that casual Steam users may not know about which also renders their mod useless. Valve's simplification of mod installing cannot and will not work. 

Then you must ask yourself, who does this really impact the most and why was this decision ultimately made? The truth is in the pudding. Valve does not have mod makers in their best interests, Valve does not have users in their best interests, Valve has Valve in their best interests. This is a clear play on the greed many mod author's hold deep within to sabotage competing websites such as The Nexus (among others). This has everything to do with making the Steam Workshop the go-to place for mods while Valve continues to ignore the negative impact it's made on many modding communities. The idea is simple:

1. Tempt mod authors to bring their work to Steam.
  2. Phase their work out of competing websites.
  3. Repeat step one and step two.
  4. Profit.

When it's all said and done, talented mod authors will exclusively release their material on Steam, compromising the relationship they once had with faithful users for pennies on the dollar. Valve's desperation for the Steam Workshop to be successful is strong, and they are willing to do anything to make this a success. How a once great company stooped to levels this low will forever confuse me.

A good thing to note is frustrated Steam users have started a Change.org petition to have the decision reversed and paid mods ultimately removed.

Game modding should be done out of the passion and love you have for the game. Not for money. However, if fans feel so inclined to compensate you financially, users are able to donate to most talented mod authors. You should never force a user to PAY to use a mod. 

Edited by AnneliesTheComposer

17 answers to this question

Game modding should be done out of the passion and love you have for the game. Not for money. However, if fans feel so inclined to compensate you financially, users are able to donate to most talented mod authors. You should never force a user to PAY to use a mod. 

THIS.

I honestly can see this killing the steam workshop. I am not going to pay for mods on the steam workshop when there are better mods on the skyrim nexus for free. I think I have only used the workshop for a few L4D2 mods. Total conversion I would consider paying for, but even then I think the creators are getting screwed since they only get 25% of what the mod sells for

I dont think Ive ever used the workshop. All and more stuff are found through google anyway.

Community-made mods shouldnt be something you pay for, they need to rename it to what it is then - fucking DLC.

Well it's up to the author of mod if it should be free or not .

There has always been places where people can share for free if they want to ,

There has been alot of mods which definitively seems to be worth of the transaction (get paid) particularly if it's a collection of bugfixes that fixes the broken game (in which Bethesda is known of ) .

Thing what the "free stuff" authors have really in mind  is that there is very very EXTREME SMALL AMOOUNT of donations they get , in which most of users simply doesn't care to donate and support the author.

Every mod produces unintentional side-effects and those needs fixing and very time-consuming process and needs constant updates.

Even if little money (that 25%) can easy lure every big mod author to get back into projects ...

Free users ofc will always blast or have that feeling that they are "entitled" to something that isn't his LOL .

I think that only the authors of mods are allowed to discuss this valve decision or even protest it or require more money their way .

As for users : SHUT UP AND DONATE !!! < this is the thing you should be doing ! not fucking winnning around something that's NOT enforced to you to purchase .

Edited by StarMelter

Well it's up to the author of mod if it should be free or not .

There has always been places where people can share for free if they want to ,

There has been alot of mods which definitively seems to be worth of the transaction (get paid) particularly if it's a collection of bugfixes that fixes the broken game (in which Bethesda is known of ) .

Thing what the "free stuff" authors have really in mind  is that there is very very EXTREME SMALL AMOOUNT of donations they get , in which most of users simply doesn't care to donate and support the author.

Every mod produces unintentional side-effects and those needs fixing and very time-consuming process and needs constant updates.

Even if little money (that 25%) can easy lure every big mod author to get back into projects ...

Free users ofc will always blast or have that feeling that they are "entitled" to something that isn't his LOL .

I think that only the authors of mods are allowed to discuss this valve decision or even protest it or require more money their way .

As for users : SHUT UP AND DONATE !!! < this is the thing you should be doing ! not fucking winnning around something that's NOT enforced to you to purchase .

I would agree if your statement was true.

It is up to the mod author to determine whether or not to charge for their mods, this is true, but mods were free three days ago. Why NOW does money concern mod authors? Why weren't they charging for mods three days ago? It's because they know it's wrong. They know mod should be free. Valve exposed their greed. The only reason they're charging now is because Valve is backing them and is taking all the heat. They'd have been torn to shreds if they tried this on Nexus or any other website three days ago. Like I said, they know it's wrong.

Websites like the Nexus will continue to operate on borrowed time while Valve slowly but surely picks away at its modding community. Do you honestly think that if Valve's little experiment is successful that other mod authors won't follow the money train? The Nexus might have free mods now, but how will it look six months from now? A year from now? Two years from now?

Fixes should NOT be charged for under any circumstance. Why should gamers that buy The Elder Scrolls VI who encounter game-breaking bugs pay a mod author $5, $10 or $15 to fix their game? Are we seriously going to have Geek Squad groups of modders running around charging for game fixes now? How is that right?

Free users don't feel "entitled." Modding was by the community, for the community. We had each others backs. They made the mods and we supported them. It was a system that didn't involve money, big corporations like Valve or game developers like Bethesda -- it was OURS. Free mods inspired "free users" to become modders themselves. Your favorite mod author was once a "free user," understand this. 

We aren't whining. We're fighting.

Edited by AnneliesTheComposer

This is just like everything else on the "darker" side of gaming/consoles/pc's today.  It's all about how stuff can be monetized.  There is no pride with devs/hackers/modders any more (of course there will always be a few of the "old-school" type that believe in doing things for righting the wrongs of corporations and to them I'm eternally grateful!!!).

It's completely and utterly disgusting and those people should be completely ashamed of themselves.  Somewhere along the way, being a sellout became acceptable and started to become a race of who can sellout first.

The corporations are now winning because of it.  They have complete control over the sheeple.

I too think charging for mods is a load of bollox, it divides the modding scene which isn't good for anybody. The modding scene (imho) is one of the PCs greatest assets!

My Forza Horizon mod release was done purely to spite XPG, since they barricaded theirs off behind a paywall. They wouldn't share any info or tools, so I had to do the work (mainly bypassing a checksum) from scratch by myself (and of course, I then showed how I did it).

There are plenty of tools people have poured hours into (e.g. peek/pokers), which i feel deserve a donation, but enforcing that as a requirement is bollox. I'm not going to buy something like that, but I'd gladly donate. Due to that, I did without it and there go more hours wasted, on my part and theirs.

Most mods being sold are only usable due to free tools released before (xextool or LibertyV for example).

Xentax is another site that's started charging, but thanks to the good folks at Zenhax that shouldn't be a huge issue any longer.

As I said when I released that Forza mod, FUCKCHARGINGFORMODS.rar! :P

Edited by Mistawes

Charging for mods is shit. Modding used to be about improving the experience as well as showing off talent.

So mods are being charged for, games are being released half completed and full of bugs.... so now a company can release a broken game for $60 USD and now some douche bag modder can come in and make a "mod" to fix the issues that a game ships with which in turn makes the shitty company that released a broken ass game even more money.

Since the beginning of gaming mods have been free. As I said above, I can see paying for total conversion mods, but I will be damned if I pay some douche bag to get a cool skin for my sword. Modding used to be about showing off talent and improving a game's experience. This was the worst thing I think I have ever seen Valve do.

Two things can happen from this.

1.) The community remains pissed off and refuses to use the steam workshop. The workshop eventually dies as a result.

2.)Modders start seeing dollar signs and all mods become "paid for" mods.

Sadly we are already starting to see #2 happen. People are pulling their mods off of the skyrim nexus in favor of making money with the steam workshop. Funny because 6 months ago it was fine that these people were making no money.

The gaming and modding communities are starting to become rather sad. I am not paying for mods. If it means playing certain games purely vanilla then so be it.

Also to anyone that finds it acceptable that you only get 25% of what the mod sells for I have a question. If you did some work and I told you I charged $100 for work you did, would you be satisfied with me only giving you $25?

Valve could have put donation buttons on mods that were charged for. This debate wouldn't even exist if there was a donation system instead of a straight pay to mod system that valve has decided to do.

Also the mods are starting to pop up on warez sites. (LOL) I can't wait to see people bitch about pirating mods.

If you support game mods being charged for do you also support console mods being charged for? So if all MFW makers were to start charging for that work then it would be ok?

Funny seeing starmelter defend this..... this is the guy that tried to tell me that I should be doing downgrades for free to help the community

I'm glad to see Tripwire, the developers of Killing Floor 2, put their foot down and take a stance against paid mods. In their EULA it states:

• Your Mods must be distributed for free, period. Neither you, nor any other person or party, may sell them to anyone, commercially exploit them in any way, or charge anyone for receiving or using them without prior written consent from Tripwire Interactive. You may exchange them at no charge among other end users and distribute them to others over the Internet, on magazine cover disks, or otherwise for free.

IF the majority of game mods becomes "gief us moniezzz"-mods, they will be pirated. Thats just a fact. Just as any other pay-for software is pirated, so will mods be, which will cause drama, which will cause butthurt ragequits, which will eventually kill all that remains of the mod community.

And Im also worried about the mods that fixes the game, like the "mandatory"(if you want to enjoy the game) unofficial patches for skyrim becoming pay-ware. It just gives the game devs more excuses to release half-arsed beta-versions, and just let some random nobody in some basement somewhere fix it instead.

Mods to me have always been a kind of "look at what we can do that you failed at, and we dont even get paid!". Its like a middle finger to the game devs when a community does a better job than these "professionals", free of charge at that.

I can think of no greater humiliation than getting paid to do something, and then some random nobody comes and does a much better job for free.

Funny seeing starmelter defend this..... this is the guy that tried to tell me that I should be doing downgrades for free to help the community

Uhm woot ? When did I say that LOL wtf

"I"offered some free downgrades and none even bothered to send me a console ... As to those peoples I offered  were a long road also shipment would cost more than the thing LOL or maybe don't trust their console to everyone  ? Well is a healthy reason  .

And I don't offer anymore free downgrades  /before any nutsack pm's me LOL was a period I offered and was more curious of they would ship it and I'm always curious about problems with ps3s.

Hmmmm maybe is a misquote of a irc talk ? I remember a downgrade discussion but exactly free ? Or was it in long time ago discussion about how "downgrades" is a forced concept ? :P

I like peoples that do downgrades , I many times send them work and redirect them so they get a little living outta it ...

It's a sensible subject and some people have bread from this job .

Don't remember the exact thing but also it was a period that I didn't understand or wrote english good haha .

Heck don't do anything for free , its not my business and will never interfere .

If any can get money outta something , do it , It's capitalism :P

I consider downgrades like a repair of ps3 , which gives you the freedom to not get forced upgrade or even convert to homebrew or do-whatever-you-want console (as long it follows mentioned concepts).

Downgrader services help users to not brick < this too etc .

Uhm this was a bit off-topic.

Edited by StarMelter

Good. That didn't last long. I love how they were mentioning total conversion mods and how they feel that people should be paid for those. I do agree with paying for total conversions, but I don't agree with paying for some bullshit skin for my weapon.

Sometimes money is the most honest way ...

Really am I the only asshole in this world that thinks that it was good deal ? LOL

ffs they had atleast chance to get 25% of something which is better than nothing .

Remember that they had a Bathesda code (game) and Steam marketing , and still think it was good deal ...and was very an not forced thing to users ...

Steam been very honest in response ...Heck users just pulverized any chance the authors to get some full time job ...

I actually believe an author has the right to get paid for their work, and please note, I said an author, not Valve or the like.

It's been said already though that people find other ways of getting a mod for 'free' so it's more about the fact that no matter how good an idea may be, some thief will come along and prove why the group can't be trusted to play nice lol

ffs they had atleast chance to get 25% of something which is better than nothing .

It is good to know you will work for only 25% of what your work is worth.