rednekcowboy

Hardware Suggestions in a Citrix Environment

Question

Know it's not a gaming topic, but doesn't really fit into the "single board" forum either so here it is.  If there is a more appropriate spot, please let me know..

I work for a company that uses citrix as it's main environment so essentially the pc on the desk is just a shell to launch citrix.

Just wondering if something along the lines of a baytrail pc would suit our needs (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS5fQsFewTQ).

I cut down a whack on computer costs already but if I could cut it to under $200 for a desktop pc, that would be the absolute savings!!! The only caveat is that I need to run dual monitors (19 or 20"). Just seeing all the new options out there with the mobile cpu's taking over the lower-end market, it makes me wonder if they would work well enough for our needs. Obviously I would want hardware that is reliable and backed by a decent warranty as well....

Currently I'm using this:

»http://www.ncix.com/detail/hp-prodesk-600-g1-desktop-9d-99145.htm

though I get it a little cheaper than that.

EDIT: Also don't need to pay for an OS as I have my own image and we have a corporate license....just in case someone has some good suggestions......

The idea is to have the smallest footprint on the desk at the least possible minimal cost without anyone pointing the fingers at the hardware for performance issues (the only thing I can think of locally is that flash videos are rendered locally on the pc via a citrix plugin that offloads the rendering to local hardware)

Edited by rednekcowboy

6 answers to this question

Wouldn't a simple HDMI stick (like the intel one that has a recent thread) be good enough as workstations. Those wouldn't take up any space at all, and depending on the one you get, they can be cheap(er)

and after watching your first video, the device you listed and the device in the thread I linked are virtually the same.

I guess you run into a problem if you dont have HDMI screens, but even that isn't a terrible problem

The one you are using seems to be the best for me for $200 you might not get anything better than that and the 4400 will run two monitors fine one with dvi other with hdmi.

But from the specs it seems that it only had a displayport and a vga port well you can try that I am not sure that it works. Look for some fool and get his awesome computer fot a low price probably thw best you can do . :D.

Displayport-> DVI adapter, VGA-> DVI adapter, done. Or displayport->VGA adapter and use 2 VGA monitors. or 1 VGA and 1 DVI. Costs pennies.

The one I'm using is the ncix link.  The Prodesk G 600 Mini.  It costs ~$600 but was a nice switch to what the guy I replaced was using and almost 50% cheaper.  And what I use is a display port to dvi adapter for the second monitor. :)

I'm just wondering if the sub ~$200 would be reliable enough in an enterprise environment.  For the majority of the users, they just run citrix.  So login and launch the published citrix desktop.  I just don't want to go too low in quality and have all kinds of issues.

Maybe I'll grab one or two and test them out to see how they fair out.