Joonie

PS1EMU vs PS1NETEMU, in need of opinions for future COBRA release

Hi there everyone, I've been trying to improve psx playback on COBRA CFW..

aldostools, @sandungas @_NzV_, habib have been very helpful, however, none of us have enough experiences with psx games running on PS3.

So I'm kindly asking everyone's opinion about this matter, because with current source I've been developing can only choose one emu for default psx playback for COBRA..

The original COBRA 7 had this patch in basic_plugin.sprx, but commented by default, I was not sure about the dev's intention, but I assumed it was better to keep things as close to the original method that PS3 uses.

SprxPatch basic_plugins_patches[] =
{
//{ ps1emu_type_check_offset, NOP, &condition_true }, // Changes ps1_emu.self to ps1_netemu.self (DISABLED)
{ 0 }
};

So if I enable this patch, following will happen when launching PSX games.

Now patching basic_plugins.sprx b5988de200020143
Offset: 0x00020234 | Data: 0x60000000 // { ps1emu_type_check_offset, NOP, &condition_true }, // Changes ps1_emu.self to ps1_netemu.self (DISABLED by default since 4.46)

Disc auth: 5004 1 (process: 01000300_main_vsh.self)

Now patching ps1_netemu.self 7a300dd2000be26f
Offset: 0x000A440C | Data: 0x38600082  // { ps1_netemu_get_region_offset, LI(R3, 0x82), &condition_true },  // PSX Region free patch

PROCESS /dev_flash/ps1emu/ps1_netemu.self (01010200) loaded
PROCESS /dev_flash/ps1emu/ps1_netemu.self (01010200_main_ps1_netemu.se) (0101020
0) created from parent process: 01000300_main_vsh.self
Game: game exec processID = [0x01010200]
PS1 emulator Build Date 15/02/04/23:55 -sgpu-sli4 [titledb:r11556]
argc=7
argv[0]=/dev_flash/ps1emu/ps1_netemu.self

as you can see, this will force load ps1_netemu for all psx rips unless you manually swap this via multiMAN or IRIS.

COBRA fakes PS3's BD functions completely, as a result, it provides "FULL" disc-less experience, so when playing PSX games with COBRA core, all users are forced to use default emu [ps1_emu.self], UNLESS, you use mmCM or IRIS forks to choose emu.

I've heard that some games do work better on PS1EMU, and some games only work on PS1_NETEMU.

for ex)

2bosjo9yc82yqdgzg.jpg

This X-MEN mutant academy game only works with ps1_netemu, which was designed for psx classic contents.

So, I'd like to ask your opinion about enabling this patch for better PSX Emulation experiences.
Edited by Joonie

I do not use the games ps1.
can be somebody who uses can answer you.

Joonie id say give the user the option in the toolbox maybe ?

Coz I know some games u need to switch this just to play the dam game

so id say give it a try for now then at a later stage make the switch easy via the toolbox maybe ?

Sorry if im not much help been in sql way way to long this week

Joonie id say give the user the option in the toolbox maybe ?

Coz I know some games u need to switch this just to play the dam game

so id say give it a try for now then at a later stage make the switch easy via the toolbox maybe ?

Sorry if im not much help been in sql way way to long this week

We are thinking of opcode to change this when it's chosen by users

We are thinking of opcode to change this when it's chosen by users

Even better good work joonie

my experience on cobra cfw's playing old games

so i got here over 200 ps2 games & i wanted to play a few of them, i tried to play them with disk but that didn't work, then i copied the disk with multiman into an iso format, then i loaded it & worked great.

i played some games from my external hdd, but like gta san andreas it couldn't play from extarnal...

also the same for ps1 games the most of them works fine via external, psp games i didn't try yet

but i would like to be able to play my ps2 disks with cobra & not from iso format... (if possible)

but all by all i love this feature of cobra to be able to play your lovely ps2 games again

thnx joonie & other dev's for the awsome work of COBRA!!

& do you know if deank is planning making a 4.70 multiman?  :s

Edited by sandungas

I've always heard ps1_netemu had higher compatibility and has been updated more often than ps1_emu, and has better upscaling filters (does that matter here?).

Also, what about ps1_newemu? Can never find any info on that.

I've always heard ps1_netemu had higher compatibility and has been updated more often than ps1_emu, and has better upscaling filters (does that matter here?).

Also, what about ps1_newemu? Can never find any info on that.

basic_plugins is responsible for selecting the emulator.

ps1_emu - is used if you are playing a disc.

ps1_netemu - is used if you are playing a npdrm installed one from store.

ps1_newemu is working for both it seems, but is not in the selection inside basic_plugins file.

Instead it is started by ps1_netemu if you apparently run it without arguments it seems.

newemu has the same compatibility as netemu it seems, (having some kind of titledb inside)

I tested x-men academy which black screens on ps1_emu, but apparently works with ps1_newemu.