Welcome to PlayStationHaX

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• GregoryRasputin

Say Hello, Make An Introduction Thread :)   11/20/2015

We love having new members join the forum, what we like more is them being productive people and contributing a little bit to the forum. So if you are a new member, let us know who you are by saying hi in an introduction thread, you can find the forum section here: http://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/15-member-introduction/
    • GregoryRasputin

Henkaku Section Now Open   07/28/2016

PlayStationHaX now has its own dedicated Henkaku section: http://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/129-ps-vita-henkaku/
GregoryRasputin

PS3 Homebrew - A Friendly Guide To The PS3

Scene websites have a habit of loosing content, there are several reasons for this, such as the deleting of threads when they are no longer deemed by the owners to be worthy of being around anymore, some sites close down and the content gets lost, then there are the sites that manage to hold onto their content, but the author no longer updates the article and it becomes worthless.

ysmPzf4.png

@Derf321 has created quite an extensive guide on Reddit to help people with the PS3, with Reddit people quite popular and with the PS3 still being relevant, hopefully it gets used a lot.

Here is a note from Derf321:

Note from /u/Derf_Jagged:
I speak for many of us when I say that it's hard to find updated information online for the PS3 scene. After popular modding scene websites have died, there are dead links and outdated tutorials everywhere you look. This wiki serves as a single source of up-to-date and accurate information for end-users. Over the last four months, I've gathered information on every useful application and process I could think of, personally validated each process myself (or had other people validate for the ProgSkeet, Teensy, and ODE pages), and reworded everything into a single easily-understood and spell-checked format. Keep in mind, 99% of this was compiled by a single person, so there may be minor errors; let me know if you find any! The entire wiki has also been saved on archive.org, so in the event that reddit goes down, it will still be accessible.

Visit Here

Let me know what you guys think of it! I'm open to feedback, suggestions, and fixing tiny spelling errors. You can reach me here, or on reddit with the handle /u/Derf_Jagged :)

Edited by Derf321

I kind of disagree with how this is setup and claiming its the most accurate information:

As i see some information that is not accurate and i see many cases where the user will not get accurate information. As some key information is missing to ensure a user would get accurate info. Such as a developer's website and/or release thread for various progets.

The point of the information in your description is because places go down and such and things are outdated. but then for releases such as CFW you have no information and tell users to check out those places for info. I really do not get that,

Apps like psnpatch for example. The best information and most accurate info here you say?

Yea some outdated info with what is that a tortuga-cove link: ???

https://www.reddit.com/r/ps3homebrew/wiki/psnpatch

I could show more like with webMAN

Also when i see stuff like this i have to laugh:

Kingsman - For managing the PS3hax front page.

^ that is funny...

There is some good info here, but the claims in the description are rather bold and fall short in many ways, i think its a great foundation but needs some additional details. As if this can't be maintained is the exact moment this becomes exactly what you describe your description and it will be worse as it will be DEAD-END information with very little resources linked.

Edited by STLcardsWS

Straight to the point @STLcardsWS:)

Hopefully with your constructive criticism, @Derf can improve the Wiki and make it better.

Thanks for the feedback @STLcardsWS. I realize that information is missing and that some of the credits information may be inaccurate (honestly that was probably the hardest part to track down because there are so many collabs under a single name, people releasing other people's work, and anonymous releases). 

for releases such as CFW you have no information and tell users to check out those places for info"

The firmware page is meant to be a mirror page for if the main release site is down (for example PS3hax has been going down often recently), because I had a lot of people asking for download links, especially for the downgrader firmwares since those links are dead on release posts. I may take your advice and try an incorporate the release link in the future. Do you know of any other websites of developers aside from Rebug and PS3ITA that I could add?

The best information and most accurate info here you say?

To be fair, that link was there before I touched it, and I never claimed it was the "best" or "most accurate" :P  But, point taken, I've added this to my todo list to fix up. What more information would you recommend adding on WebMAN?

Kingsman - For managing the PS3hax front page.

^ that is funny...

Again, I'm prone to have a few errors, especially in the credits page. When I had wrote that, I had looked and only seen posts by him. I just removed that line though.

i think its a great foundation but needs some additional details

Thanks :)  So far, all I have is the basics of anything useful I could think of for end-users. It's at least at the point where when someone asks "What can I do with CFW?", you can point them to that page and a ton of options are laid out for them. This is the product of ~3.5 months that I've been working on it between 58 hour work weeks, and relaxing time. 65 pages ain't bad given those circumstances. There's many more things that could be added, I just need to know what they are!

As if this can't be maintained is the exact moment this becomes exactly what you describe your description and it will be worse as it will be DEAD-END information with very little resources linked.

I plan on maintaining it for a long while. I've also created /r/ps4homebrew and it's (basically non-existent) wiki that I'll be building up. Aside from CFW release threads, and the already linked Brewology pages, what resources do you think I should link?

Edited by Derf

3 hours ago, Derf said:

Thanks for the feedback @STLcardsWS. I realize that information is missing and that some of the credits information may be inaccurate (honestly that was probably the hardest part to track down because there are so many collabs under a single name, people releasing other people's work, and anonymous releases). 

for releases such as CFW you have no information and tell users to check out those places for info"

The firmware page is meant to be a mirror page for if the main release site is down (for example PS3hax has been going down often recently), because I had a lot of people asking for download links, especially for the downgrader firmwares since those links are dead on release posts. I may take your advice and try an incorporate the release link in the future. Do you know of any other websites of developers aside from Rebug and PS3ITA that I could add?

The best information and most accurate info here you say?

To be fair, that link was there before I touched it, and I never claimed it was the "best" or "most accurate" :P  But, point taken, I've added this to my todo list to fix up. What more information would you recommend adding on WebMAN?

^ that is funny...

Again, I'm prone to have a few errors, especially in the credits page. When I had wrote that, I had looked and only seen posts by him. I just removed that line though.

i think its a great foundation but needs some additional details

Thanks :)  So far, all I have is the basics of anything useful I could think of fofr end-users. It's at least at the point where when someone asks "What can I do with CFW?", you can point them to that page and a ton of options are laid out for them. This is the product of ~3.5 months that I've been working on it between 58 hour work weeks, and relaxing time. 65 pages ain't bad given those circumstances. There's many more things that could be added, I just need to know what they are!

As if this can't be maintained is the exact moment this becomes exactly what you describe your description and it will be worse as it will be DEAD-END information with very little resources linked.

I plan on maintaining it for a long while. I've also created /r/ps4homebrew and it's (basically non-existent) wiki that I'll be building up. Aside from CFW release threads, and the already linked Brewology pages, what resources do you think I should link?

You did not claim it to be accurate? Did i read this wrong?

" I speak for many of us when I say that it's hard to find updated information online for the PS3 scene " "This wiki serves as a single source of up-to-date and accurate information for end-users. Over the last four months, I've gathered information on every useful application and process "

I think mistake #1 is you think ps3hax.net is a viable top website for the PS3 and there is no other options for information.. Your best options for PS3 related information and news is this site and psx-place.com . ps3hax admin/writer  (kingman) does not know ANYTHING about the community and just cut copy and paste other websites articles. He does not know what is news or what is important news. Very bad for the community as people actually think its still a viable source of news and information and it simply is not anymore.

Edited by STLcardsWS

19 hours ago, STLcardsWS said:

You did not claim it to be accurate? Did i read this wrong?

Again, it's a single person effort and I admitted in the OP that "there may be minor errors". So far, you haven't pointed out any inaccurate information (aside from maybe the Kingsman credit), which I would immediately fix, just areas where more details should be added which I've taken note of.

" I think mistake #1 is you think ps3hax.net is a viable top website ... people actually think [PS3HAX] is still a viable source of news and information and it simply is not anymore."

I don't support PS3hax or anything; I just used PS3hax as an example because, like you said, many people still use that as their go-to site and it's been down a lot recently, hence the download mirror page. I've only used it as a place for questions/answers because of the large user base that replies relatively quickly.

I'm not saying this wiki should become the golden standard that everyone should use. On the contrary, I started it solely for a resource for my subs (/r/ps3homebrew and /r/ps3hacks), and to prevent the thousands of repeat questions that plague scene sites (how many times have you heard "Can I put CFW on my Super Slim?"). So far, it's helped a lot of people out and has brought a lot of traffic to the subs, with a significant decrease in "noob questions" and complaints of dead links to info. I just had asked advice from GregoryRasputin, and he thought it should be front-paged. 

Edit: Fixed up the PSNpatch page. Honestly it was embarrassing, It didn't even include the CID changing process on it even though the process was on the "Unbanning" tutorial page. Added RAP/EDAT activation, timed trial unlocking, and got rid of that damn Tortuga link. 

Edited by Derf

10 hours ago, STLcardsWS said:

I think mistake #1 is you think ps3hax.net is a viable top website for the PS3 and there is no other options for information.. Your best options for PS3 related information and news is this site and psx-place.com . ps3hax admin/writer  (kingman) does not know ANYTHING about the community and just cut copy and paste other websites articles. He does not know what is news or what is important news. Very bad for the community as people actually think its still a viable source of news and information and it simply is not anymore.

Remember those days when PS3HaX and PSX-Scene were the top of the PlayStation Scene, unfortunately both those places were run by business men and not people with heart for the scene and because of their long standing in the scene and both sites still have decent moderators and developers, people still see them as viable source for news and information.

I think what @Derf is doing is great, forums are a great place for information, for getting help and conversing with people, but not everyone uses forums nor do they want to be bothered with signing up, which is why places like Reddit are a great alternate source of information.

I thought it was worth posting on the front page, for example had i not posted about it, you would not have been able to guide Derf into fixing errors and mistakes.

On 5/16/2016 at 5:25 AM, GregoryRasputin said:

Remember those days when PS3HaX and PSX-Scene were the top of the PlayStation Scene, unfortunately both those places were run by business men and not people with heart for the scene and because of their long standing in the scene and both sites still have decent moderators and developers, people still see them as viable source for news and information.

I think what @Derf is doing is great, forums are a great place for information, for getting help and conversing with people, but not everyone uses forums nor do they want to be bothered with signing up, which is why places like Reddit are a great alternate source of information.

I thought it was worth posting on the front page, for example had i not posted about it, you would not have been able to guide Derf into fixing errors and mistakes.

I agree what is doing is good, Information needs to be spread and available for other's.. There is just some issues with some of the information or lack of on something, most of it is fine, but he left very little links for research . I see some links in area's have been added. but one example. He has webMAN in the essential apps and he has even edited this page 6 days ago and still a link that has been dead for over 6 months.  Which little links or information to where to he obtained his information. While he says he will always be there to update we all know how life changes and even while updating there is dead links as he is watching it (which hell there is dead links on some of my stuff) but reasons why you leave the user additional info such as links or other resources. Just think a wiki should have more of that. . 

Its more of the claim " This wiki serves as a single source of up-to-date and accurate information for end-users. " and i see some outdated info and more then anything the lack of information on some releases.. You make a claim like that you have to bring the goods with the information and as mentioned before if you do not have the info. At least give the user the opportunity to find the information on themselves by providing some external resources.. 

I feel like i am picking on it a bit to much because the effort should be applauded. Its really serves as a good hub for information and does contain many useful things.

Edited by STLcardsWS

Now this comes off such as a Spam Type Post,  Seriously it does fair warning but not meant to be i promise.

I do like FAQ list that is there, but this one item here i do not :)

Q. Where can I keep up with news on development?

A. Some sites, in no particular order:

@GregoryRasputin he is missing the best two :) ..

Scene Credits:

STLcardsWS - For managing the PSX-Scene front page, helping on forums, making some developer contributions, and managing Brewology.

I really do not manage brewology, I help out with a few uploads of homebrew from time to time. Aldostools does most of the work there,

PSX-Place.com is the main thing I do these days and where i write most of my news. but i still do a limited amount on psx-scene

Looking at some of your Top Questions. there is some resources that may be helpful as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ps3homebrew/wiki/cobra

What is Cobra?

Example:

http://www.psx-place.com/threads/about-cobra-v7-xx-cfw-the-dongle-less-cobrausb.2389/

What is MAMBA?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ps3homebrew/wiki/mamba

http://www.psx-place.com/threads/cobra-vs-mamba-vs-rebug-rex.1637/

(i do need to make a few updates on this myself :) (a few suggestions from aldo several post down)

4.80 Updated Custom Firmware:& Homebrew

http://www.psx-place.com/threads/updated-4-80-cfw-custom-firmware-homebrew-tools-utilities-more.9556/

Edited by STLcardsWS

Wall of quoted text incoming!

He has webMAN in the essential apps and he has even edited this page 6 days ago and still a link that has been dead for over 6 months

That's odd, WebMan MOD has been removed from Brewology? It looks like it was left over from the original owner (when there was like 3 pages on the wiki). I don't check the links often on pages, since I've put 99% of linked pages on archive.org or are Brewology, so good catch!

Which little links or information to where to he obtained his information.

Most users won't really care where the information came from though, and if they really want to know, they're capable of just Googling it. Like I said, I might link every page to a release page (if it has an active one) for a full features list, but right now internal content is my priority, not external content.

While he says he will always be there to update we all know how life changes and even while updating there is dead links as he is watching it

It's inevitable unless every page is checked routinely. With ~70 pages, that's pretty time consuming for such rare events (since most of it's Brewology and archive.org), so I just wait for users to report a downed link. The only ones I've seen reported is for downgrader firmwares though, since they seem to get taken down from file host sites often.

I feel like i am picking on it a bit to much because the effort should be applauded. Its really serves as a good hub for information..

Oh no, you're fine. It's good to get critical feedback on it.

Q. Where can I keep up with news on development?

Ugh, you're right. Burned it with fire, and updated it to match the sidebar sites.

I really do not manage brewology,

What about the front page shout-out though?

TrQdcUm.png

I'll take a look at the rest of your suggestions and see what I can do. Thanks for all the help!

Edit: I see on the Cobra page you mentioned "The PSX video problem. When the psx emulator is launched "naturally" by vsh.self, it sets the video mode parameters. This would cause NTSC games work badly on PAL, and viceversa.". It's interesting because I have a user right now with issues playing a PAL game on a NTSC console with Cobra

Edit2: Also, Ilike how you have the page formatted for CFW releases with the different tabs. Any idea if the formatting and tabs work with archive.org? I'll probably link those when I get around to linking release pages.

Edited by Derf

2 minutes ago, Derf said:

What about the front page shout-out though?

TrQdcUm.png

... That was 3½ years ago... A lot of shit have happened since then.... :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Lucif3r said:

... That was 3½ years ago... A lot of shit have happened since then.... :rolleyes:

Hah, good point :P

The box should be called "Brewology Store Olds"

Most users won't really care where the information came from though, and if they really want to know, they're capable of just Googling it. Like I said, I might link every page to a release page (if it has an active one) for a full features list, but right now internal content is my priority, not external content.

Actually most user's do tend to care where it came from. Because usually there is missing details or the user wants to see more information so they can properly install or use something.  Yes, someone can Google something and seems to be easy right? but sometimes is not that easy to find the developer thread or original post and you may of obtained that info from post and could of easily linked it. What takes you seconds could save someone some headaches. Your search do vary from person to person if they have a Google Account, so what you search and see as your top result may not be someone else's.  I am not suggesting you always do this or hunt and hunt because something can be hard to find (again more reason to add something when you come across it such as a developer release thread or website).

Also anytime you can make a developer user connection the better it is as a whole for the scene. Developer really rely on communication with user's for feedback and to gauge interest.  

It's inevitable unless every page is checked routinely. With ~70 pages, that's pretty time consuming for such rare events (since most of it's Brewology and archive.org), so I just wait for users to report a downed link. The only ones I've seen reported is for downgrader firmwares though, since they seem to get taken down from file host sites often.

I agree its very hard to keep everything up-to date (believe me i know). That is why i am just making suggestions for you as i said before and again now this comment " This wiki serves as a single source of up-to-date and accurate information for end-users. ", brings a bit of these opinions from me.  Keep up the good work you have a strong base there.

Brewology i will provide a new mirror or update ever so often but I am not the one who is doing the regular updates there. I did more in the past there then i do nowdays, but still never did as much as some other there.

Edited by STLcardsWS