Welcome to PlayStationHaX

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• GregoryRasputin

Say Hello, Make An Introduction Thread :)   11/20/2015

We love having new members join the forum, what we like more is them being productive people and contributing a little bit to the forum. So if you are a new member, let us know who you are by saying hi in an introduction thread, you can find the forum section here: http://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/15-member-introduction/
    • GregoryRasputin

Henkaku Section Now Open   07/28/2016

PlayStationHaX now has its own dedicated Henkaku section: http://playstationhax.xyz/forums/forum/129-ps-vita-henkaku/
Lucif3r

unity
[Tutorial] Install PSM Unity on 3.20+ - PS Vita

27 posts in this topic

Recently, a method of installing the removed PSM Dev Unity application has been released. The method allows for many other things, but Im going to focus on the PSM Unity. The principle should apply to similar things as well.
The reason Im making this is because the instructions were vague at best, and the video was so low quality it was almost impossible to make out certain things. No offence to mr.gas & co ;)

Anyway, lets get started.

Prerequirements:
1. A PS Vita on FW between 3.20 and 3.51. The actual method works on 3.52 as well, but PSM Dev Unity does NOT. FW older than 3.20 have 'real' access to the package installer, and doesnt need to do this in order to get PSM Unity, they can just install it through the package manager as the application is DRM free.
2. These files provided by the team(Do they want to be called a team? idk, Im going to call them that anyway)
3. An email account setup on your Vita. I will not explain how to do this, because you should know how to do this...
4. Thunderbird with an email account set up. This can be the same as you use on the Vita, or a different one, up to you.
5. QCMA, OpenCMA will NOT work //personal experience lol
6. Internet connection on your Vita.
7. A pot of coffee

Lets get going!:1. Turn off your Vita and boot into recovery(PS+RT+PWR), select "Rebuild Database".
2. On your PC, open up the zip file downloaded in step 1 of prereq. and unzip them somewhere. I prefer desktop, but whatever floats your boat is fine.

3. Once extracted, open the folder and right click the "test2.eml" file, select "open with", select Thunderbird. You might have to hit 'browse' and select the .exe manually, the default location on an x64 OS is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe". If its not there, check "Program Files" instead of "Program Files (x86)".
Once selected, open the eml file with thunderbird. You will then be greeted with this screen:
24g0qbd.jpg
(yes, I have nvidia control panel open in the background, just ignore that).
Press "Forward" and forward the mail to the email address you set up on your Vita.
We are done with the mail for now.

4. Copy the "UNITY" folder to the folder where QCMA searches for PS Vita stuff. The folder should go in "PSAVEDATA\xxxxxxxxxx\" where "xxxx..." is a unique number to identify your Vita. This should already exist, if it doesnt - connect your Vita to the PC and it should be created.
In the end you should end up with a path similar to "F:\PS Vita\PSAVEDATA\xxxxxxxxxx\UNITY\". "F:\PS Vita\" will vary depending on your preferences. The default location is "C:\Users\<your username>\PSV Applications\" if I remember correctly... You can check this in QMCA.

5. Now we need to connect the PS Vita to our PC. First of, since 3.51(and earlier) is not the latest FW, the Vita will prompt for a FW update which YOU SHOULD NOT ACCEPT. So, turn on "Flight Mode" by holding the PS button down for a couple of seconds, then restart the Vita.
Once rebooted, still in Flight Mode, connect the USB cable to your Vita and PC, enter "Content Manager", select "Copy Content", select "PC -> PS Vita System", select "Applications", scroll down to "Saved Data" and select "PSP/Other".
You should see something like this:

2r42wxi.jpg

Select "PSM UNITY INSTALL (>3.20)" and Copy it to your Vita.
Once copied, Enable Wifi on the Vita(Hold PS button, Wi-Fi) and make sure you have a working connection. I would ASSUME 3G also works, but I done have a 3G Vita so I cant test that.
With wifi enabled and working, Go to Settings, select "System", select "Playstation Mobile".
Now, this is where it can become a bit tricky, so pay attention! Hit the 3 dots (...), select "Update", hit "OK" on the update confirmation screen, once the update starts("Preparing to download... window flies away), hit the PS-button, hit the notification bubble(top right corner, in case you didnt know) and PAUSE the download(s). There are 2 downloads. Pause both.
You will then end up with this(ignore the 2 bottom ones):
1zmcuo9.jpgwAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Press the 3 dots (...) on either of the 2 entrys, I chose "PSM Runtime Package 2.01", Press cancel, press Yes.
15rgls2.jpg

You will then end up with just 1 paused download(again, ignore the 2 bottom ones on my screen):
2hxuix5.jpg

Next!

6. Open up Email on the Vita. Go to inbox etc etc, open the Email you sent way back in step 3. If you did it right, it should look like this:
2m28i2s.jpg

Read this in full before doing anything!
Click one of the pictures, the vita will cry saying it can display the image. DO NOT HIT OK!
1zl808j.jpg
Again, DO NOT HIT OK!
Instead hit the PS button and close the email application by dragging the top-right corner.
2m3iqm9.jpg

Open up Email again, select inbox again, select the same mail again, open the 2nd picture(do not hit ok), close the Email app.
Almost done now!

Turn off wifi/enable Flight Mode.
Turn off the Vita.
If you have a retail game inserted, REMOVE IT. That was the only way I could get it to work, and it took me fking forever to figure out.
Also remove the USB Cable, probably not needed, but I did that anyway.
Turn on the Vita.
Once booted and back in the Vita, hit the Notification bubble(top right corner). Our previously paused update should now say "Could not install <error code>" or similar;
v4a49w.jpg

Using the DPAD select our paused download and hit X (or O if you use a jap. Vita, or whatever button you have as "accept".).
You should now be greeted with a message saying "hi from mr.gas" or something of the sort :) 
f06e6q.jpg

Follow the instructions to install PSM Dev Unity!
Congratulations, we're done! ... Almost.

Trying to launch Dev Unity will prompt for an update. This update is for the application, NOT the vita. However, as of this moment, I am not sure what the requires min FW is for the updated Unity app. I read somewhere it was 3.30, but I can not confirm this. I can, however, say that its 100% safe to update it if you are on 3.51.

And thats it! We're done! Now we play the waiting game and wait for homebrewzzzz :D.

Bleh, this tutorial took a lot longer to make than I initially anticipated... I hope you appreciate it ;)

Also, to potential outsiders, please dont rip off my text or my screenshots. Instead, just link to this guide instead, its viewable by the public so theres no "member fishing" invovled, I'd just prefer to see if it generates any interest or not :P 

Sources:
Major Tom @ YouTube
wololo.net/talk
My own damn brain and a lot of trial and error.
Screenshots by me and myself.
The 2 last screenshots provided by gazra, thanks for that.

No matter what i do, my Vita cannot see the UNITY folder :/

The folder my other 'PSP Save' is in...
C:\Users\GregoryRasputin\PS Vita\PSAVEDATA\d17d0d17d0d17d0\UNITY

Edited by GregoryRasputin

I'll try when I'm back home... pretty psyched to try but im on 3.18 and not entirely sure how to work it with pkg installer. Sent from my Galaxy S5 or my toaster depending on which room im in....

No matter what i do, my Vita cannot see the UNITY folder :/

The folder my other 'PSP Save' is in...
C:\Users\GregoryRasputin\PS Vita\PSAVEDATA\d17d0d17d0d17d0\UNITY

Never mind, i fixed that problem by selecting 'Refresh Database' on QCMA.

Even thogh i put UNITY dir in PSAVEDAT\XXXXXXXX my vita "dosen t see" it in qcma?? In  "Content Manager", "Copy Content", select "PC -> PS Vita System", select "Applications", scroll down to "Saved Data" and select "PSP/Other", write " there is no save data"

Help me!!

Edited by Lorenzzo

Even thogh i put UNITY dir in PSAVEDAT\XXXXXXXX my vita "dosen t see" it in qcma??

Help me!!

Look at the post i made above yours...

Right click on QCMA icon, select Refresh Database, turn Vita off them on, then it should work

Not helpful i try

That's how it worked for me...

Also if you have Sony's CMA, make sure you are putting Unity in the right folder.

Don't worry @Lorenzzo, you aren't the only one failing, i fail at number 7 past the 'Turn on the Vita.' bit

I delete Sony CMA

I delete Sony CMA

I get headaches from the ps vita

I have another problem. Psm runtime package is installed before I pressed pause? and when i open mail i hit ok on first file

What now?

Can i deleta all and start again 

Edited by Lorenzzo

I have another problem. Psm runtime package is installed before I pressed pause? and when i open mail i hit ok on first file

What now?

Can i deleta all and start again 

You can delete PSM Runtime Package, not sure what use that will be though, it does nothing for me when i restart the Vita.

EDIT
This is what happens whe i restart my PS Vita:
sMqv0SR.jpg

If i do anything:
w11KchK.jpg

And nothing, cannot install UNITY :/

Thanks I now have both this and the other one on my vita.

Also here is another 2 screenshots for you :)

This is the one from the error after restarting the Vita near the end.

v4a49w.jpg

And finally the hi from mr.gas one :)

f06e6q.jpg

Feel free to use them if you like in the OP if not no biggy.

Mod edit: Please dont quote giant walls of texts, put them in a spoiler, short them down, or just mention the poster instead :)

Edited by Lucif3r

Right, ok... Many seems to have issues just like I originally had... Lets see if we can sort some of them out.

As for QCMA not finding the folders, theres pretty much just 2 things that can be at fault here. Either you need to refresh the QCMA database like @GregoryRasputin said, or QCMA is looking for the folder elsewhere.
Right-click the QCMA icon in the notification area and select settings, in the 'Folders' tab, check the "Applications / backups" field. This should point to the PS Vita root folder. In my case this is "F:\PS Vita". It should NOT point to for example "F:\PS Vita\PSAVEDATA".
If it still doesnt work, make sure the UNITY folder structure is correct, so that you havent accidentally made a double-folder like "/UNITY/UNITY/" or similar. If it STILL doesnt work, I have no idea :/

As for the one saying the PSM package installed too fast... wat? Either youre WAY too slow, or your Vita is on steroids. Even with my 100/100Mbit connection it takes a good 30sec before its downloaded and installed.
Also, if you fail this step, make sure you delete the Runtime before attempting it again(select delete instead of update).

And, if you fail at any point(e.g. hitting ok the images or similar), you need to redo ALL steps on the vita(you dont have to resend the email though).
And rebuilding the database on the Vita BEFORE transferring the file through QCMA is important. Why? Fuck knows. It just is.

Also make sure you repeat the email-step for BOTH pictures in succession. You cannot, for example, click on one image, THEN start the update, and THEN click the other image. Both pictures must be clicked in succession, AFTER the update has been started and paused.

If all else fails, try improvising. E.g. leave the USB cable connected, let the download download halfway or something before pausing it, leaving both downloads paused without cancelling any of them etc etc.

Also as reference, do post what FW youre on - that goes for both of those that are successful and those that are unsuccessful. Im just one person with a single Vita on 3.51, there only so much I can test, especially since we cant downgrade :P 

@Gazra thx for the images, I'll add them when I update the post.

3.51 for me too, knowing me, there is something dumb i am doing >.<

@lucif3r your welcome bud.

Also I am on 3.51 and followed the guide you posted. I did however have a small problem when trying to copy UNITY to the Vita it was not being detected as being there. So what I did was close content manager and restart QMCA then re did that step but all the rest worked first time.

Not sure if this will help anyone out but thanks for making it easier it did help alot.

I can't click the PSM in the notification.I have tried several times now, using another application's update also.I can't get it to work no matter what I try.

I can't click the PSM in the notification.I have tried several times now, using another application's update also.I can't get it to work no matter what I try.

lol you aren't the only one, i am having that exact same problem too.

lol you aren't the only one, i am having that exact same problem too.

Just got it to work

Before you turn it off, after doing the second email open the notification bubble, close it, press the playstation button, turn the screen off, then turn it back on and power it down without slashing the corner.Power it back on and then try ot tap it

Before you turn it off, after doing the second email open the notification bubble, close it, press the playstation button, turn the screen off, then turn it back on and power it down without slashing the corner.Power it back on and then try ot tap it

I need more people that are having issues to test the above method. If it works for more people, I'll add it to the guide.

Woo Hoo i got it, seems the first email i sent was the problem, resent email and it worked first time :)

For those unable to copy to vita. Unity not being detected refresh database of qcma, or try to move folders with many files ex pictures.
But im sure refreshing should do the trick.

It wont update the Unitydev :/

It installed after 30mins, and i have a pretty good internet connection... Im banned from PSN how do i get a licensense?

Edited by vatomalo

PSM Unity is DRM free. It doesnt require a licence. All you need is PSM+.

I prefer hackinformer's PSM+ over wololo's: http://hackinformer.com/psmplus/ui/start.html
They both do the same thing, but hackinformer is more responsive for me, faster to send out the emails etc, while wololo often gets "overloaded"...